Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sleeper trains London-Scotland, any good/worth doing?

Blimey, this is heating up.

Why go on the sleeper to Glasgow surely the normal day time trains take less than 4 hours?

I use it for a friday night out in London and day in Glasgow. Last train is 730 last plane 930.

Quickest glasgow london train is 4hr 30.

Cost for me is off peak return now £120 and berth £40. That's an open return on almost any train from glasgow to london valid for one month. I don't bother with sleeper coming back unless I'm on an early start at work.

I'd just go in the day when it's cheapest, buying advanced singles or splitting the journey.

Train to Glasgow aint bad, I think it's a 6-7hour journey? That's ok I reckon. You're looking at a good 3-4 hours all in if you fly anyway, plus more hassle/stress. If it was Inverness i'd probably fly. Edinburgh/Glasgow to Inverness is a bitch of a journey, although pretty stunning if it;s nice weather..

It's true that trains are a rip off price-wise compared to flying though, which is a real shame.

I'd just go in the day when it's cheapest, buying advanced singles or splitting the journey.

Train to Glasgow aint bad, I think it's a 6-7hour journey? That's ok I reckon. You're looking at a good 3-4 hours all in if you fly anyway, plus more hassle/stress. If it was Inverness i'd probably fly. Edinburgh/Glasgow to Inverness is a bitch of a journey, although pretty stunning if it;s nice weather..

It's true that trains are a rip off price-wise compared to flying though, which is a real shame.

4.5 hours.

So £160 round trip?

Was last weekend and I booked it the day before. I also get to use the return half again as the guard cancelled the out ticket on the return half. Now you've reminded me I need a cheap single north.

Was last weekend and I booked it the day before. I also get to use the return half again as the guard cancelled the out ticket on the return half. Now you've reminded me I need a cheap single north.

So with a little planning you could take the Heathrow Express both ways, a taxi to and from Glasgow Airport, still have change after buying a few beers on the way, and cut almost 12 hours off your travel time.

You just train it because of the timings, or because you don't like flying?

Spy. Where do you stand on the Eurostar?

I use it all the time. Fantastic, if a little expensive. It's a genuine alternative to flying to Paris in terms of time, cost and comfort.

The same's just not true of London-Scotland. London to Paris is about half the distance of London to Edinburgh, the train goes like a rocket and you don't need to sleep on it!

So with a little planning you could take the Heathrow Express both ways, a taxi to and from Glasgow Airport, still have change after buying a few beers on the way, and cut almost 12 hours off your travel time.

You just train it because of the timings, or because you don't like flying?

I train it to glasgow cause its less hassle for me. Station is round corner from work, the sleeper gets me a night in london and a weekend in glasgow, the daytime 4:30 trains are relaxing and the cost isn't to bad if you book last minute. I arrive in the heart of the city.

I love flying but I was over exposed to the shit that is heathrow and would rather pull my nails out with plier than go there on a regular basis again.

why the fuck would you want to go to glasgow? :hmm:

Glasgow's great!

One of the best cities i've been in the UK. The only words I can think of are a bit wanky, but it has a great atmosphere n feel to it, it's genuine and non-pretentious, interesting stuff going on, good museums n things to see, top clubbing scene and music and general awesome (self) depreciating humour.

4.5 hours eh? Jolly good. Fuck flying in that case, especially if you've got enough money to casually stroll between the two cities regularly. Get a train with advanced tickets...

Spymaster said:
Well maybe once if you have money to waste and want to experience the deep joys of communal overnight sleeping and uncleansed morning arrivals! :D

I do

Spymaster said:
You could replicate the experience for a fraction of the cost by taking some sleeping pills and going round and round the Circle line all day. For added reality you could pay someone you've never met before to jump on every time it goes through Paddington and fart near you whilst your kipping.

Done already pffft..

You could replicate the experience for a fraction of the cost by taking some sleeping pills and going round and round the Circle line all day. For added reality you could pay someone you've never met before to jump on every time it goes through Paddington and fart near you whilst your kipping.

If you can't administer yourself in the morning after a good kipp in a clean cabin and a bit of a wash up on board in the morning I wonder how the fuck the nation survived in the days before power showers and running hot water:D

I bet you only have a shit at home as well

If you can't administer yourself in the morning after a good kipp in a clean cabin and a bit of a wash up on board in the morning I wonder how the fuck the nation survived in the days before power showers and running hot water:D

It's not a question of "can't", it's a matter of having absolutely no upside by comparison to the alternatives.

Taking the sleeper to Scotland is like paying through the nose for someone to beat you up!

So £160 round trip?

Depends.

If you have kids you can get stupidly good deals with a family card. We got one way tickets to Edinburgh just before Xmas for £65. For two adults and two kids. Silly price. Kids loved it as well, including the staying up stupidly late in London bit.

But you do have to be able to lay your hands on at least one child.

I bet you only have a shit at home as well

I'm kind of glad he doesn't go by sleeper. You don't want to share with the unwashed.

I remember going on the Motorail sleeper service in the '70s, drive to Kings X, dad drives the car onto the car transporter wagon on the train, leave about 10.30, wake up in Scotland, tea and biscuits while admiring the scenery, get to Fort William, drive car off train, enjoy holiday :) Fuck flying!!

But you are the unwashed!!!

I was most fragrant for my journey. I used the sink, soap and towel provided in my cabin.
Not sharing the same recycled feted air as all those other smelly folk on the plane is one great thing about the sleeper.

I remember going on the Motorail sleeper service in the '70s, drive to Kings X, dad drives the car onto the car transporter wagon on the train, leave about 10.30, wake up in Scotland, tea and biscuits while admiring the scenery, get to Fort William, drive car off train, enjoy holiday :) Fuck flying!!

I was thinking the other night it was a shame I couldn't have my car on a truck at the back any more. I wonder how long those trains were. The sleeper is probably the longest passenger train left in britain.

I had exactly the same experience except for getting on at York!

I can still remember the weirdness of my dad driving our old Vauxhall Victor round the back of the station and onto a train, the beige wool blankets and crisp sheets, and waking up at Inverness.

Yeah it was Inverness, not Ft William, I think. Fucking brilliant service though, my old man parked the Volvo on the train, me and my sister in one cabin, mum and dad in another... hugely exciting for a little kid!! And those beige blankets :) I remember getting woken up by a lady BR person, getting a plate of biscuits, a pot of tea, opening the blind and seeing hills and stuff whizzing past :)

Stick that up your arse and take it through security, Spymaster!

Back
Top Bottom