Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Six Nations - 2024

Elpenor

Dancing as fast as I can
The best annual sports tournament in the world kicks off in just over two weeks time on Friday February 2nd with what might have been the 2023 World Cup final - France v Ireland.

Squads are due to be named at some point next week I think. I’m off to Wales v Scotland and Wales v France this year :)

Games will be live on either ITV and BBC. Some early broadcasting news is that Sir Clive Knobhead has stepped down as a pundit, which everyone will be pleased about though I expect Jonny Woodenson and Dallaglio will still have roles along with Mark Poogatch.

England have won the last two tournaments following a World Cup, and look like a good shout having somehow finished third. No Farrell of course, who is taking a break from international rugby so a new captain, likely to be Jamie George, will be named. There is a bit of an injury crisis at prop, so perhaps there’s a risk of being beaten up front with raw players. Word is that Borthwick’s squad will be much changed. English teams have done well in the European matches so far this season so perhaps it’s their year. First two games are away to Italy and at home against Wales so could get on a run.

Wales are rebuilding too, but are suffering from a lack of money which means that regional rugby is dead and a lot of players are leaving Wales for more lucrative contracts which means if they have less than 25 caps they are no longer eligible for Wales. Players with contracts in Japan are also not available. As the golden generation of players retires - Biggar in particular - it looks grim but Gatland might pull something out of the bag. First two games are at home to Scotland and then up to Twickenham against England.

Ireland have just announced that Andy Farrell is coaching the British & Irish Lions so he will take a leave of absence from December. They’ve lost Johnny Sexton and whether they can effectively replace him is the big question. Those they’ve tried before have largely not proved to be the answer. They also have a few injuries on the wing. As a team they’re well drilled, and what they do is very effective, but without the conductor, it remains to be seen what can the orchestra do. This feels like a team that’s past their peak, with their domestic teams struggling in Europe this season too. They begin in France, and will probably lose that, and if they do Italy at home will take the backlash.

France might be suffering from a World Cup hangover too - and also don’t have Antoine DuPont who is off playing 7s ahead of the Olympics and Ntamack the fly half is still injured. Mind you Jalibert his likely replacement is a great player. That said this team is for my money still to peak, and they have my favourite player in winger Damian Penaud. France aren’t playing their matches in Paris this year due to the Olympics - they kick off against Ireland somewhere in France; then go to Murrayfield to play Scotland.

I haven’t followed what’s going on in Scotland much this season, but I imagine they’ve got a few new South Africans recruited to the cause as a change. Every few years there is a bit of a false dawn about Scottish rugby but I don’t think they’ve ever won more than 3 matches in the 6N so I can’t see that changing, it would be good if it did though. First tournament without the recently retired love rat Stuart Hogg, though he has been past his best for a while. They’re off to Cardiff for the first weekend then after that host France.

Italy will probably be shit. There isn’t much more I can say really. They have a good mix of young players and some “recruited” players with Italian heritage who will be familiar to observers of English rugby such as Paolo Odogwu and Dino Lamb. They are doing well at the U20 level I think, but it never seems to translate to their senior side. Their first two matches are England at home and then away to Ireland.

Rubbish you've clearly predicted 1) England 2) France 3) Wales 4) Ireland 5) Scotland 6) Italy it's all there in black and white.

Can’t wait. Probably telly only though. Looked at ticket prices and they are ridiculous. Even Italian matches were north of £200. Will probably be the first 6N for years I haven’t gone to at least one match with A319. I guess there is an off chance late tickets might be less ridiculous.

My tickets at Cardiff were £50 each, I’m probably not in the best seats

I have a mate who works in Edinburgh so would like to get to a Scotland game in 2025

Wales and Scotland squads named today.

A few headlines

Dafydd Jenkins named as captain. He’s done superbly for Exeter and this is a strong choice, if forced by injury. Think the new Alun Wyn Jones.

No Louis Rees-Zammit who has quit rugby to try American football. Hard to blame him given how bad his club and national team are, the money he’ll get will be far superior. It didn’t really work out for Christian Wade of Wasps who did that a few years ago. Big loss for Wales as LRZ is probably their star player, very marketable too. He hasn’t looked interested this season when I’ve seen him play and now we know why.

A lot of uncapped players in the Wales squad. Quite an unfamiliar set of players for the casual fan.

Scotland squad is a bit more settled and includes an ex England player, prop Alec Hepburn of Exeter (born in Australia) now eligible for Scotland, and up and coming Sale winger Arron Reed, both of whom have Scottish parents. No captain named yet.

Scotland squad is a bit more settled and includes an ex England player, prop Alec Hepburn of Exeter (born in Australia) now eligible for Scotland, and up and coming Sale winger Arron Reed, both of whom have Scottish parents. No captain named yet.
Did not know that about Hepburn. Ive rated him as one of the best props in the Prem for a few seasons now.

Ireland have just announced that Andy Farrell is coaching the British & Irish Lions so he will take a leave of absence from December. They’ve lost Johnny Sexton and whether they can effectively replace him is the big question. Those they’ve tried before have largely not proved to be the answer. They also have a few injuries on the wing. As a team they’re well drilled, and what they do is very effective, but without the conductor, it remains to be seen what can the orchestra do. This feels like a team that’s past their peak, with their domestic teams struggling in Europe this season too. They begin in France, and will probably lose that, and if they do Italy at home will take the backlash.
We have our replacement, he played great as Munster won away in Toulon while Leinster put 40 points on Stade Francais.

England squad named. This one feels quite different too with no Farrell and no Vunipolas. Or Vunipolae for people who did Latin at school and like to show that off. Jamie George is confirmed as captain.

Excited to see Fraser Dingwall of Northampton and Chandler Cunningham-South of Quins both named. Also Ethan Roots of Exeter - a big flanker with Māori heritage, a black belt at jujitsu and a mullet who grew up in Aotearoa (father from Reading though I think ).

There’s been a lot of hype too about Exeter’s Immanuel Feyi-Waboso, who is Welsh, but due to the vagaries of his desire to combine rugby with his medical studies which he wants to continue at Exeter, and what this means for him regarding his Welsh eligibility when his Exeter contract ends, has opted for England.

[it’s a tale about how Welsh rugby doesn’t help itself sometimes (or all the time). He initially wanted to study medicine at Cardiff Uni, and play for a Welsh region but didn’t get accepted for a medicine place at Cardiff.

So instead he got a place at Aston Uni and then a contract with Wasps last year. Wasps subsequently went bust, and he managed to then switch both club and uni to Exeter last year.

Unsurprisingly after all that disruption, he decided to repeat his first year of medical studies, and the fact that due to the Welsh 25 cap rule he would have to move to a Welsh region when his contract with Exeter expires, which would be before his medical degree finishes. He regards his degree as very important so wants to see it out at Exeter if possible and I understand that is a big reason why he wants to opt for England]

Perhaps £25k a game helps as well. I’m not sure he’s the finished article yet but think of him as a Jack Nowell style player only quicker and hopefully less injury prone.

7 uncapped players, I hope all are capped by the end of the 6 nations.

Last edited:
Those two Exeter props that were in the last game on the Flats And Topsy Show are fucking huge :eek: They look like they've got tiny little arms which only just reach when they're trying to bind together. Keep expecting them to lift the hooker, who's also a bit fucking big, off the floor and run with him.

If one of them was Josh Iosefa Scott the man is a mountain! I seen close up when he warms up and is huge, maybe 6-4 which is tall for a prop.

We’re starting against France in Marseille. In a sense there is trouble as the area where Irish teams are suffering is in the scrum and horrendous injury lists.

In a sense it’s a transition team especially with POM as captain. The loss of Hansen is a blow as he often play first receiver. I expect Nash to come in for him.

I expect that we’ll have the same team that lost to NZ at the Wc with Crowley start with Frawley as back up for him and Keenan. I imagine Joe MCCarthy might bench against France.

Really surprised Tom Ahern didn’t make the squad aas he’s been excellent.

Predictions

Ireland (no slam)
France
England
Wales
Scotland
Italy

Six Nations is always great, but with Ireland, France and England all going through quite some upheavals, this one promises to be a cracker. I've lost track a bit of what's going on with Wales, but the same applies there, no? Lots of new caps, old key players leaving, should be a belter.

I genuinely hope some of the England new blood make them more interesting to watch and I look forward to Alldritt captaining a victorious Bleus to a series win (but no grand slam).

France
Ireland
England
Scotland
Italy
Wales

(Edit: the above mostly to annoy the Welsh posters, whereas I really reckon flypanam has it right)

Last edited:
Teams starting to be named. Ireland v France looks like a cracker, both teams with a 6-2 bench split. Surprised to see no Garry Ringrose, have to assume he is injured.

A few changes from the World Cup of course, I reckon Lucu is a decent replacement at scrum half for Dupont. Not as a good a player all around the pitch but as a scrum half he won’t let France down.

England team for Italy is rumoured to have Danny Care at scrum half, George Ford at fly half, both with over 90 caps. Nice to see Borthwick experimenting with new players and taking risk :rolleyes:

But at least flanker Ethan Roots of Exeter and the much tipped - and highly rated by me - inside centre Fraser Dingwall of Northampton - are going to make a debut. England are actually playing a natural 12 at 12. The much tipped winger Manny Feyi-Waboso and fly half Fin Smith could feature off the bench.

Not heard much about Wales v Scotland yet. Scotland are being talked up and they haven’t beaten Wales in Cardiff for years which usually means they’re about to slip up. Finn Russell threw a horribly reckless intercept last week for Bath so maybe he will throw another one this weekend.

Ringrose although gifted is a bit of defensive liability if you shoot up, you have to make the tackle. You can’t shoot up and then rely on your wing or 12 to tackle the player you missed.

Go back and watch Leinster and Ireland games all too often ringrose misses first up tackles.

That said it’s a good side. McCarthy will give away penalties but he’ll annoy the French immensely. so we’ll see how they go.

I think Farrell has missed a trick not having Will Connors in the squad. He’s the closest we have to a Peter Steph du toit in that he’ll tackle all day. Which could be useful to bring on at 50 against France.

Last edited:
Ringrose although gifted is a bit of defensive liability if you shoot up, you have to make the tackle. You can’t shoot up and then rely on your wing or 12 to tackle the player you missed.

Go back and watch Leinster and Ireland games all too often ringrose misses first up tackles.

That said it’s a good side. McCarthy will give away penalties but he’ll annoy the French immensely. so we’ll see how they go.

I think Farrell has missed a trick not having Will Connors in the squad. He’s the closest we have to a Peter Steph du toit in that he’ll tackle all day. Which could be useful to bring on at 50 against France.
Thats interesting. I think part of shooting up in defence you have to accept there’s a percentage of missed tackles but the payoff for that is the amount of disruption you cause an attack and the interceptions / turnovers you gain. Certainly that’s the case with the similar way my team defend, we are vulnerable when it’s spread wide quickly.

hmm we not the same side with sexton tbf

hmm why do I have a feeling a red card might happen tonight:hmm:

Reckon France might just edge it tonight. Scotland to end our Cardiff hoodoo tomorrow, we need the spirit of 82 (my one & only away 5/6 Nations match) and Italy to finally beat that mob.

Back
Top Bottom