Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Show us ya herbs and spices

I have an insect infestation in the kitchen. I think they are Indian Meal Moths / Pantry Moth. Someone from the council pest department will come tomorrow afternoon.

Either way, you must all be prepared for a major audit of your spices, followed by a thorough clean and trip to Drummond Street for replenishment.

The larvae can nibble through plastic bags!!!!!!!!!!!!

To this end, I propose an urban75 meet up at the Ravi Shankar on Drummond Street some time next week, including time for a trip around the spice shop a few doors down.

Indianmeal moth - Wikipedia

Overcoming a pantry moth plague - No Ordinary Homestead

Last edited:
I have an insect infestation in the kitchen. I think they are Indian Meal Moths / Pantry Moth. Someone from the council pest department will come tomorrow afternoon.

Either way, you must all be prepared for a major audit of your spices, followed by a thorough clean and trip to Drummond Street for replenishment.

The larvae can nibble through plastic bags!!!!!!!!!!!!

To this end, I propose an urban75 meet up at the Ravi Shankar on Drummond Street some time next week, including time for a trip around the spice shop a few doors down.

Indianmeal moth - Wikipedia

Overcoming a pantry moth plague - No Ordinary Homestead

Could also be biscuit beetles, they like spices best of all and will bore small holes straight through plastic bags and into the spice.

'Store cupboard moth', said the man from pest control.

There were loads in one cupboard, inside an unopened carboard box, flapping around in a packet of muesli, stuck to the bottom of packets. Drilling their way through cardboard boxes.

All were sprayed with his insecticide.

:thumbs:

2.20pm, Just looked in the cupboard; they're all dead.

Last edited:
'Store cupboard moth', said the man from pest control.

There were loads in one cupboard, inside an unopened carboard box, flapping around in a packet of muesli, stuck to the bottom of packets. Drilling their way through cardboard boxes.

All were sprayed with his insecticide.

:thumbs:

2.20pm, Just looked in the cupboard; they're all dead.

Store all your dry products in separate, well-sealable containers as soon as you bring the home as all that work can be undone by one bag of flour.
I had an infestation quite badly a few years ago and managed to get rid of them just by doing the above. I still get them every now and then when I am not careful.

Store all your dry products in separate, well-sealable containers as soon as you bring the home as all that work can be undone by one bag of flour.
I had an infestation quite badly a few years ago and managed to get rid of them just by doing the above. I still get them every now and then when I am not careful.

It's can actually be incredibly difficult to shift infestations of certain cupboard/stored food beetles/grubs - sometimes it may require everything being thrown out, spraying the cupboards, washing them out, and restocking - it can be really nasty.

It's can actually be incredibly difficult to shift infestations of certain cupboard/stored food beetles/grubs - sometimes it may require everything being thrown out, spraying the cupboards, washing them out, and restocking - it can be really nasty.

Oh yes, I certainly had to also throw out some food though I have become a little less bothered - shall we say - about just fishing out any offender and keeping the food. ;)

Oh yes, I certainly had to also throw out some food though I have become a little less bothered - shall we say - about just fishing out any offender and keeping the food. ;)

I have a cupboard that needs tackling, when I do I'll take photos to post here and you'll understand what I mean... if it's fishing the occasional offender out of food then you are probably ok :D

And don't talk to me about the ruination of my saffron :(

We're planning to do it again, tomorrow, only vacuuming around the ceiling and crevices as well

Advice is: 1, vacuum eveywhere, 2, hot soapy water, 3, 50% white vinegar 50% hot water. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
4A70436E-9A1F-4AF2-815B-FD23F78373FF.jpeg 715183D5-D6AF-411A-A539-9C2AB02B7941.jpeg Freezing the herbs/flour will kill off the beasties. Bung it in the freezer for a week, sift it through a sieve, done. Or if it can’t be sifted, shaking it about in a colander and then leaving the detritus behind when you put the rest into an airtight container will do.

They’re not toxic. and if it’s not a bad infestation you can easily salvage stuff this way.

Here’s my herb cupboard, and also some of my dried food stuff too. Medicinal herbs and herbal teas are elsewhere.

Dryad's Saddle ??!? :hmm:

It’s a mushroom. It’s a tree bracket. It’s also called pheasants back.

It tastes a bit like watermelon when it’s fresh. I dry mushrooms and use them through the year.

Free food. Unfortunately, the one that grows near me is always getting kicked and stomped on by (I assume) kids passing by. It’s in season right now.

upload_2018-9-4_1-7-29.jpeg

The dried mushrooms above the dryad’s saddle are locally foraged mushrooms too, mostly fairy ring and some honey fungus too. The pioppino and oyster mushrooms are also locally harvested.

Just got everything sorted on some new racking. Last photo is all the ziplock bags of bulk spices/BBQ rubs/shitake mushrooms etc.

OAmA9j4.jpg

vEjnHST.jpg

i1X5aOX.jpg

Nah, don't panic, those are just the special ones (home smoked Naga, Chocolate Habanero and Medina.)

I've got a huge amount more on drying racks in the airing cupboard!

Last edited:
Mine are a disgrace. I had to empty the cupboard because it is dark and goes round a corner (not in a fancy way).

E47BD5A4-8198-4172-9BD9-166460C8F641.jpeg
836A0459-69A6-431D-AC84-503CA0524EDF.jpeg
C0733E80-F0A2-44C9-BFBB-20466447345E.jpeg

I can find everything pretty quickly though. It's more organised than it looks, plus there's liquid stuff in a separate tub.

I drilled down a layer :eek:
0CF0BF73-E756-4478-AA83-ABA57C48E83A.jpeg

Then the more commonly used are here

4E8CD362-4906-4213-8C2A-DE8F9256B93C.jpeg

And I forgot the top shelf of the freezer has lime leaves, fresh galangal, Mexican oregano, fresh turmeric, Thai basil etc etc. And Mexican mole blocks. Oh yeah :D and I grow bay, Greek oregano, mint, winter savory and rosemary.

I need to audit :hmm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom