Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should I feed my foxes ?

In addition to everything already mentioned, if you feed this lot they will (understandably) decide that your garden is a prime breeding ground and next year you will potentially have many more fox cubs arriving.

Unless you really appreciate the smell of fox piss and all the other downsides of having an ever-growing number of foxes in your garden, including potentially making it more difficult to sell your house, I'd stop feeding them right now and start taking active steps to deter them.
I'd better start peeing in the garden :)

When I'm walking late at night I often see foxes. Mostly they scarper as soon as they see us but one fox is quite relaxed and usually sits ans watches u
Don't want to seem rude gentlegreen but looking at that pic your garden could also do with a bit of tidy up as well which in itself will help open the space up and deter them/vermin.

...and I'd shift those ladders too. The foxes will be in through an open upstairs window like a shot!

I don't think you should feed foxes for the simple reason that gets them used to humans in ways that isn't good for the foxes. Yes, they're cute. Yes, it feels nice to feed them, but it causes problems that ultimately ends up with dead foxes.

I don't think you should feed foxes for the simple reason that gets them used to humans in ways that isn't good for the foxes. Yes, they're cute. Yes, it feels nice to feed them, but it causes problems that ultimately ends up with dead foxes.

These are urban foxes. Very much used to humans and a city environment, IMO.

I'm trying to work out how to teach foxes how to cross roads safely. Too many of the poor buggers get run over :( :(

These are urban foxes. Very much used to humans and a city environment, IMO.

I'm trying to work out how to teach foxes how to cross roads safely. Too many of the poor buggers get run over :( :(

Yep, and with less space to run around, so they mess up your neighbours' gardens.

Unless you really appreciate the smell of fox piss and all the other downsides of having an ever-growing number of foxes in your garden, including potentially making it more difficult to sell your house, I'd stop feeding them right now and start taking active steps to deter them.

You clearly don't work for Foxtons

Have been feeding foxes bits of chicken this evening. There are three of them that keep coming back to check if there's another titbit; one appears, gets the piece, runs off and then there a Keystone Cops scene with two other foxes in hot pursuit :D

At the same time I'm sorting out the transportation of a rescue Spaniel from one foster carer to another *and* trying to guide someone on the phone with an injured bird to their local RSPCA (they have GPS in their car but appear incapable of using it)

Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be a one-man animal-welfare... er... welfarer! :cool:

Have been feeding foxes bits of chicken this evening. There are three of them that keep coming back to check if there's another titbit; one appears, gets the piece, runs off and then there a Keystone Cops scene with two other foxes in hot pursuit :D

At the same time I'm sorting out the transportation of a rescue Spaniel from one foster carer to another *and* trying to guide someone on the phone with an injured bird to their local RSPCA (they have GPS in their car but appear incapable of using it)

Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be a one-man animal-welfare... er... welfarer! :cool:

Good on you for the Spaniel and bird help!

But please stop feeding the foxes. Are you involved with any local animal welfare charities? They don't usually advocate feeding urban or suburban foxes.

They are not 'your' foxes.

No you shouldn't be feeding them as it discourages them developing their own survival techniques.

It will also encourage rats.

When I moved into my current home there was a vixen who would come to the garden every night and sit under the kitchen window with her cubs waiting for food to be thrown down to her.

As sweet as that sounds, I never did feed them and they stopped coming. Building that kind of dependency isn't cute or clever IMO.

Fucking Tory!

No doubt you think that vixen should be on her bike looking for work.

Getting involved with us worked pretty well for the dogs and cats, maybe the foxes just want in on the action.

I hope to see them become super friendly. Then all the other animals will catch on, and after a few years all these wild animals will be friends and they'll just be living amongst us. It will be like a Disney film and they will never bite us, just frolic happily.

Back
Top Bottom