Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sex In Films

Is it more so now then it was? My impression is its the other way around, but i dont watch many news films tbh
Sorry, I don't mean it is more frequent, I just mean it's worse for actresses. A brief flash in a minor film would have gone and been forgotten in the past, now it's there forever.

Some of the most sexually charged and erotic sex scenes have been in silent films, without the protagonist's stripping off. Most notably the incomparable Louise Brooks in Pandora's Box.

Got to say the sex scene in Don't Look Now between Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland was fairly erotic without being exploitative nor gratuitous. Great film too.

lulu15.jpg

No nudity. No sex.

Just one look that says it all.

I partially agree. Mulholland is a masterpiece, but the sex scene I think you're speaking of was unnecessary...

I think Lynch is pretty good with sex scenes TBH. It's no less necessary than anything else in the film IMO. (There's actually at least a couple of sex scenes in it IIRC.) Eroticism seems to be part of the film.

The Solo scene with Naomi Watts was difficult to watch but it did a good job of showing the depths of desperation and disgust she felt before killing her self.

(Kris writing)

Hallo. This came about because Simon has been watching a pirate thing called Black Sails. He's a bit funny about fucking on tv. He won't watch anything with rape and we were talking about the film, the accused, with Jodie Foster. Feel free to ignore him.

(Kris writing)

Hallo. This came about because Simon has been watching a pirate thing called Black Sails. He's a bit funny about fucking on tv. He won't watch anything with rape and we were talking about the film, the accused, with Jodie Foster. Feel free to ignore him.

This is bollocks.

I said that the graphic portrayal of the rape in The Accused, was totally unnecessary and gratuitous; and that as a legal/courtroom drama they could have dealt with that scene differently.

One of the best films on a similar subject is Time To Die, which is far more powerful than The Accused, and doesn't need to show graphic rape.

Last edited:
They are mostly superflous and crap. I'm thinking the bit I always skip past in Top Gun where maverick and whatsherface get it on to Take My Breath Away uhh fastforward that.
the Top Gun sex scene has gone down in history as one of the most cringeworthy examples out there. I was very glad to see that they completely avoided such cheesiness in Maverick when Cruise first gets his girl- in fact, I don’t think you even see them snog- straight to the pillow talk afterwards.

the Top Gun sex scene has gone down in history as one of the most cringeworthy examples out there. I was very glad to see that they completely avoided such cheesiness in Maverick when Cruise first gets his girl- in fact, I don’t think you even see them snog- straight to the pillow talk afterwards.

Hollywood knows most people don’t buy into this idea of T.C. As a hetero-normative human

One valentines day I thought I’d take a new gf to an arts cinema to watch a French film. Yer know, to pretend I’m sophisticated and get us in the mood with the inevitable sex scenes.

It was Irreversible. That one with the gruelling 9 minute rape. :facepalm:

A lot of sex scenes are/were the fault of the censors.

We have this censor system that rates films.

Movie bods decide what demographic they want to aim the film at. Certain genres are expected to be 18 and no would pay to watch a 15 so they insert the amount of sex / violence balance required to bump the film up to the desired rating. There's a whole cat and mouse game between the production and the censors and many frames shot just for this tweaking purpose.

It's rather irritating to my mind as we don't get a true director's vision but this mangled edit of irrelevant shite.

The sex scenes in Betty Blue are pretty integral to the plot. I recall quite enjoying them when I first watched it.
"I'd known Betty a week."

The opening scene is integral.
It's stupendously gratuitous... but also integral.

The director deliberately wants to slap you in the face with the sex. But there really was no greater way to stamp the fierce instant chemical intensity of the relationship.

A true manifestation of a director's art rather than sex for sex sake.

Back
Top Bottom