Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sensible information and advice about Coronavirus (COVID-19)

editor

hiraethified
I know there's loads of links scattered around the various threads, but I thought it might be an idea to collate the best ones here. PLEASE only post up credible links with an short para to explain their significance. For subsequent general chat, please use this thread - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

This one on ArsTechnica is particularly good too:
According to data from nearly 56,000 laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 patients in China, the rundown of common symptoms went as follows:

• 88 percent had a fever
  • 68 percent had a dry cough
  • 38 percent had fatigue
  • 33 percent coughed up phlegm
  • 19 percent had shortness of breath
  • 15 percent had joint or muscle pain
  • 14 percent had a sore throat
  • 14 percent headache
  • 11 percent had chills
  • 5 percent had nausea or vomiting
  • 5 percent had nasal congestion
  • 4 percent had diarrhea
  • Less than one percent coughed up blood or blood-stained mucus
  • Less than one percent had watery eyes

Graph showing the percentage of cases by age group (blue) and the fatality rates within each age group (orange).

Last edited:
The list of symptoms and their occurence is the most useful thing I've seen yet - have shared on FB. I think it's very helpful to make clear it's quite different from a normal cold and that really fever (38c+) and a dry cough and the things to look out for - not blocked nose, sore throat etc.

Fucking typically I've managed to have a headache/fatigue bug in the last week and immediately moving on to a snotty cold from my kids. :rolleyes:

Making assumptions based on the most common symptoms can be dangerous, and will lead to some people assuming they dont have Covid-19 when they do.

Looking at the percentages of cases with different symptoms is a useful way to pick up the nuances in this area.

For example, here is something from the WHO China team report:

As of 20 February 2020 and based on 55924 laboratory confirmed cases, typical signs and symptoms include: fever (87.9%), dry cough (67.7%), fatigue (38.1%), sputum production (33.4%), shortness of breath (18.6%), sore throat (13.9%), headache (13.6%), myalgia or arthralgia (14.8%), chills (11.4%), nausea or vomiting (5.0%), nasal congestion (4.8%), diarrhea (3.7%), and hemoptysis (0.9%), and conjunctival congestion (0.8%).

Conclusion: it is not safe to assume that symptoms such as sore throat and nasal congestion rule out Covid-19.

Useful information in this twitter thread on cleaning hands with soap and anti-viral effectiveness of gels from an Icelandic Chemistry professor working in Australia. (He was pleasantly surprised to find his thread had gone “viral” overnight!)

This thread has completely veered off topic. it was supposed to be where people could link to sensible, well researched content and be suitably informed. A chat on Mumset definitely does not fit that description, and I'm not sure a one and a half hour long US radio chat show does either, even if there is an expert speaking.
I'm going to spin all the other stuff off into a general chat thread and would ask that people ONLY post up excellent resources from credible sources here.

Done: General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

A question in case anyone knows: if I want to properly clean non waterproof phone and car streering wheel on regular basis how can I do that? ( I mean if I use them before being able to wash hands)

A question in case anyone knows: if I want to properly clean non waterproof phone and car streering wheel on regular basis how can I do that? ( I mean if I use them before being able to wash hands)
This.... and doorknobs. We are now washing hands when coming home but doorknob on downstairs loo must be suspect. Any ideas?

Have we had this? And I hope it goes in this thread

Coronavirus could be living on some surfaces, including plastic and stainless steel, for up to three days, a new study has found.

The report, published by US government scientists on Wednesday, also showed that the virus could survive in the air for several hours.

However, the findings do not prove anyone has caught the virus in this way, only that it may be theoretically possible, according to the researchers who carried out the study.

Gives times for various surfaces.

“We’re not by any way saying there is aerosolised transmission of the virus,” Dr Neeltje van Doremalen at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told The Associated Press.

Researchers found Covid-19 stays viable for long periods if time on a variety of surfaces and in the air, after using equipment to finely spray samples of the virus into the air and imitate what could happen is an infected person spread the virus by air by coughing or sneezing.

“Anyone with a new persistent cough or high temperature is now advised to self-isolate for seven days”

What is a “new persistent cough”?

If it’s new at what point does it become persistent? And if it’s persistent presumably that means some degree of age.

I have a persistent cough, but it started before this announcement.

“Anyone with a new persistent cough or high temperature is now advised to self-isolate for seven days”

What is a “new persistent cough”?

If it’s new at what point does it become persistent? And if it’s persistent presumably that means some degree of age.

I have a persistent cough, but it started before this announcement.
This was asked at pm on radio 4. If it started before the outbreak it's not classified as new. I am interpreting persistent as 3-7 days.

If you can't find anti-viral wipes use soap and water. Washing up liquid is a soap. soap will kill viruses on surfaces as well as on hands.

I feel honour bound to point out this is not an expert opinion. There may be confounding factors that I dont know about that render soap helpless in the face of virus infested knobs.

I noted this evening that my dettol claims to kill viruses.

I feel honour bound to point out this is not an expert opinion. There may be confounding factors that I dont know about that render soap helpless in the face of virus infested knobs.

I noted this evening that my dettol claims to kill viruses.

Soap is good... In short because viruses rely on fatty structures, and soap is very good at breaking them down.

Back
Top Bottom