Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Secrets of the transport museum

i haven't got round to going to brooklands yet (first visited the bus museum when it was at cobham rather longer ago than i'd care to admit) - their big events tend to be a week or two before ones i am heavily involved with somewhere else...

i haven't got round to going to brooklands yet (first visited the bus museum when it was at cobham rather longer ago than i'd care to admit) - their big events tend to be a week or two before ones i am heavily involved with somewhere else...

We used to stash our sound system in a yard behind that bus museum :thumbs:

That bus museum is a little known gem.

Did you do the Concorde “flight” if so what was it like?

I plan to tick off Concordes no 3, 4 and 5 this year (Duxford, Brooklands and Fleet Air Arm) to add to Seattle and Bristol.

I did it when we went there before the pandemic. It was interesting, good fun, and worth the £5 :)

I counted the Concordes in, or at least three of them, on the last day of commercial flight. I was standing on the top floor of the Treaty Centre car-park in Hounslow, which turned out to be a splendid vantage point.

I counted the Concordes in, or at least three of them, on the last day of commercial flight. I was standing on the top floor of the Treaty Centre car-park in Hounslow, which turned out to be a splendid vantage point.
I work in Chelsea directly underneath the Heathrow flight path, and remember that day well. A lot of people on the street came out to watch them :cool:

Reactions: tim
Still think its criminal that BA were allowed to retire them.

Reactions: tim
Still think its criminal that BA were allowed to retire them.
Those with a proper aviation knowledge in here can correct me, but I thought it was a combination of Concorde-served flights becoming increasingly unprofitable unless you racked up tickets to ludicrous levels, and Airbus growing disinterested in offering a maintenance/ parts replacement service for BA and Air France.

The thing is, whereas BA and Air France keeping a regular 6-aircraft daily schedule might have indeed become too difficult to maintain, given that there is no shortage of 1%ers charting private business jets for considerably more money, they probably could have kept at least one or two birds flying the London/Paris to NY route at 15k per head, which surely would have been profitable. But I guess the overall revenue brought to the company’s accounts would have been a footnote.

Those with a proper aviation knowledge in here can correct me, but I thought it was a combination of Concorde-served flights becoming increasingly unprofitable unless you racked up tickets to ludicrous levels, and Airbus growing disinterested in offering a maintenance/ parts replacement service for BA and Air France.

The thing is, whereas BA and Air France keeping a regular 6-aircraft daily schedule might have indeed become too difficult to maintain, given that there is no shortage of 1%ers charting private business jets for considerably more money, they probably could have kept at least one or two birds flying the London/Paris to NY route at 15k per head, which surely would have been profitable. But I guess the overall revenue brought to the company’s accounts would have been a footnote.
I thought that Concorde was actually showing a profit by the end of her life, apart from the decline due to the fact that Americans are basically cowards and were refusing to fly due to the trouble in Iraq/Afghanistan. Branson wanted to buy the fleet and keep them in the air.

Funnily enough it was a special Concorde themed day either yesterday or today at brooklands.

Back
Top Bottom