Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sally Rooney - recommendations?

frogwoman

No amount of cajolery...
This isn't my usual genre at all and I don't generally like 'lit fic' tbh. but I have heard her books are excellent and thought I might try and get one from the library to read. She comes across as a nice, thoughtful person in interviews as well. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what books of hers to read? If you think they are terrible I'd also be interested in why as well as I'm debating whether to get one.

As you asked for feedback from both sides, I will chime in - I read Conversations with Friends a couple years back, around the time I realised I was reading almost 100% male authors, and she was a contemporary female writer who was talked of in high regard. Unfortunately I hated the book, found all the characters pretty unbearable, and generally couldn’t wait for it to be over.

I do think I should probably try another of her books but haven’t got round to it yet, though I have continued to check out other female writers more proactively.

My daughter (16) loves Sally Rooney. I read Conversations with Friends a couple of years ago, it was easy holiday reading that I can't remember anything about. I'm sure I'd have loved it as a young woman.

I loved the TV adaptation of Normal People, watched it twice, the second time with my daughter, which was a bit, oh, I don't remember there being quite this much sex in it.

Back
Top Bottom