Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Royal Veteran/Loughborough Park Tavern on Coldharbour Lane/ Moorlands Rd SW9

More regarding ground rents at Nos. 2 and 3 Zoar Place (in 1855)

Lot 2.—Improved ground-rent of £6 16s., derivable from Nos. 2 and 3, Zoar-place, Cold Harbour-road; also three brick-built cottages, known as Docter's Cottages, Sussexroad, in the rear of the preceding, producing £47, held for 68 years, at a ground-rent of £3 18s

More on No. 5 Zoar Place (bankruptcy petition?) in 1846

WHEREAS a Petition of John Daniel Haydon, formerly of Lower Mitcham, then of No. 8, Normanbyplace, Brixton-road, then of No. 10, Commerce-place, Brixton-road, then lodging at No. 4, Park-place, Love-lane, Stockwell, and now of No. 5, Zoar-place,

and 1864

NOTICE is hereby given, that the following is a copy of
an entry made in the book kept by the Chief Registrar
of the Court of Bankruptcy, for the Registration of
Trust Deeds for the benefit of Creditors, Composition and
•Inspectorship Deeds executed by a Debtor, as required by
the Bankruptcy Act, 1861, sees. 187, 192, 194, 196, and
198:—
Number—7368.
Title of Deed, whether Deed of Assignment, Composition,
or Inspectorship—Conveyance.
Date of Deed—7th March, 1864.
Date of execution by Debtor—7th March, 1864.
Name and description of the Debtor, as in the Deed—
Samuel Thomas, No. 2, Zoar-place, Cold Harbourlane,
Brixton, Surrey,
Undertaker, Plumber, Fainter,
and House Agent, of the one part; and
The names and descriptions of the Trustees or other
parties to the Deed, not including the Creditors—
William Dowie, Cold Harbour-lane, Brixton, Surrey,
Furniture Dealer, on behalf and with the assent of the
therein signed creditors, of the other part.
A short statement of the nature of the Deed—Conveyance
by the said debtor of all his estate and effects to
the said trustee, absolutely, to be applied and administered
for the benefit of the creditors of the said debtor,
as in bankruptcy.
When left f

and 1846

WHEREAS a Petition of John Evans, of No. 2, Zoarplace,
Cold Harbour-road, Brixton, in the county of
Surrey, Coffee Shop and Eating Housekeeper, an insolvent
debtor, having been filed in the Court of Bankruptcy,
and the interim order for protection from process having
been given to the said John Evans, under the provisions
of the Statutes in that case made and provided, the said John
Evans is hereby required to appear in Court before Edward
Goulburn, Esq. the Commissioner acting in the matter of
the said Petition, on the 21st day of November instant, at
half past eleven in the forenoon precisely, at the Court of
Bankruptcy, in Basinghall-street, in the city of London,
for his first examination touching his debts, estate,
and effects,

I'm guessing that Zoar Place must have vanished some time around 1870.

I know I witter a lot Ed, but if you read my posts, you'd see that I mentioned it was listed in Lambeth's Street Registration in 1871 :mad:

and it was definitely a public house (as well as other things by the sounds of it). :hmm::D

Thomas Salmon, formerly of No. 9, Sussex-road, Cold Harbour-lane, Brixton, Surrey, Gentleman's Coachman, wife carrying on at same time and place in bis own name the trades of Grocer, Cheesemonger, and Dealer in Coals, and then a Cabriolet Proprietor at the yard of the Royal Veteran Public House, in Cold Harbour-lane aforesaid, wife carrying on same trades, and late of No. 7, Sussexroad, Cold Harbour-lane aforesaid, formerly a Cab Driver and latterly out of employment.

That's in 1854

1878 - Loughborough Tavern

In the Matter of Proceedings for Liquidation by Arrangement
or Composition with Creditors, instituted by
Samuel Robert Pettier, formerly of the Fountain Publichouse,
James-street, Bebhnal Green, in the county of
Middlesex, then of the Green Man Public-house, Highstreet,
Hoxton, in the said county, afterwards of the
Queen's Head, York-road, Battersea, in the county of
Surrey, subsequently of the .Clarence Public-house,
Surrey-lane, Battersea aforesaid, then of the George the
Fourth Public-house, in Lincolu's-inn-fields, in the
county of Middlesex, afterwards of the Loughborough
Tavern, Loughborough-road, Brixton,
in the county of
Surrey, lately carrying on business at the Half-way
Public-house, Battersca Park-road, in the county of
Surrey, Publican, and (at present residing at the Halfway
Public-house, Battersea Park-road aforesaid, oat of
business. NOTICE is hereby

Old Bailey proceedings in June 1869 re: obtaining money by deception

JOHN HAMMOND . I keep the Loughborough Tavern, Brixton—the prisoner lived opposite me, in April, in Mrs. Claxton's house—on 3rd April he owed me 1l. 3s. for wines and spirits, and offered me this cheque for 10l.—I took what he owed me, and gave him 8l. 17s. change—I supposed he had money at the bank—I paid it to the City Bank, and it was returned to me with "Refer to the drawer" on it—I went and saw the prisoner—he said that there was something wrong at the bank, and he would put it all right—I went to the bank and found it all wrong—I told the prisoner, and he said that he was going to get a lot of money and pay it in—he kept promising from day to day.

Prisoner. Q. Did I ever pay anything over the hart A. Yes—you drank in the house—I met you in the street, and you blackguarded me.

GEORGE KIDNER . I am a butcher, of Woodhall Place, Brixton—the prisoner had dealt with me two or three months before April—he used to pay ready money—he owed me, on 2nd April, 16s. 1 1/2 d., and on 3rd April he called and handed my wife this cheque for 10l. 10s.—I authorised her to give him cash for it—I afterwards paid it to my bankers, and it was returned, marked "Refer to drawer"—I did not get it honoured.

HARRIETT KIDNER . I am the wife of the last witness—on 3rd April, the prisoner handed me this cheque, and I gave him 9l. 3s. 10 1/2 d., as near as I remember, and put it into the cash-box.

Witnesses for the Defence.

JANET HOWARD . At the time the prisoner was summoned I called at the London and Suburban Bank, saw Mr. Burrows, and gave him this paper—he read it—(Read; "About 8th January, 1869, I handed one Jacobs

Found my billiard marker.

Is the Loughborough Hotel the same as the Loughborough Pub?s
No, but there's an interesting connection with Loughborough and Brixton. Which of course, has been documented on urban:
From Loughborough to Lambeth

If you look at a railway map of South London, you will see a station called Loughborough Junction, on the line going south from Blackfriars.

Loughborough Junction was originally called Loughborough Road, and between there and Brixton was another station called Loughborough Park (later renamed East Brixton and now closed).

As well as those stations, and the thoroughfares of Loughborough Road and Loughborough Park, a row of early nineteenth century houses in Brixton Road called Loughborough Place, a block of flats called Loughborough Mansions, a row of shops called Loughborough Parade, Loughborough Park Congregational Church and the Loughborough Park Tavern, in Coldharbour Lane, all provide evidence of a link between seventeenth-century Leicestershire and an area that was once part of Surrey but is now in the London Borough of Lambeth.

That link was provided by Henry Hastings, first Baron Loughborough (c.1609-1667), to whom the manor of Lambeth Wick, of which this land once formed part, was leased.
http://www.urban75.org/brixton/features/loughborough-and-brixton.html

(so the pub was probably after the original East Brixton station. There's a feature on that too!)

and it was definitely a public house (as well as other things by the sounds of it). :hmm::D
Hurray! My hunch was right!

No, but there's an interesting connection with Loughborough and Brixton. Which of course, has been documented on urban:

http://www.urban75.org/brixton/features/loughborough-and-brixton.html

(so the pub was probably after the original East Brixton station. There's a feature on that too!)

Hurray! My hunch was right!

Funnily enough, I'd just been looking at the Leicester Historian (page 6 onwards). Quite a good map on there as well of Brixton.

http://www.le.ac.uk/lahs/downloads/lh2004.pdf

Yes, your hunch was right, but I got the evidence :p:D

Shame there's not much on it, but judging by those times, it looks like everyone was in debt and probably couldn't afford to drink - a bit like now then :D

Can you please not come up with any mysteries for about 5 days please because it's taking up all my time and I've got things to do. :oops::D

Loughborough Park Tavern publicans

Loughborough Park Tavern, 305 & 307 Cold Harbour Lane SW9

definitley a pub -marked as such on 1870 map
http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/geneva-road-brixton.html

List of publicans from 1878 to 1921, but no pic
http://deadpubs.co.uk/LondonPubs/Camberwell/LoughboroughParkTavern.shtml
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1878/Edward Dubbins/../../../../Surrey Directory ****
1881/Edward Dubbins/Licensed Victualler (Manager)/33/St Clements, Middlesex/Census
1881/Ellen Dubbins/Wife/26/Brixton, Surrey/Census
1881/Ellen Dubbins/Daughter/3/Brixton, Surrey/Census
1881/Thomas Lake/Servant (Inn)/17/Marylebone, Middlesex/Census
1881/Mary Shayler/Servant (Inn)/16/Islington, Middlesex/Census
1881/Emma Simmonds/Servant (Inn)/23/Lambeth, Surrey/Census
1881/William Dock/Servant (Inn)/21/London, Middlesex/Census
1896/William Charles Barber/../../../../Post Office Directory ****
1901/William Elden/../../../../Post Office Directory ****
1905/Edward Elden/../../../../Post Office Directory ****
1908/Edward Elden/../../../../Post Office Directory ****
1911/Joseph Benjamin Crick/../../../../Post Office Directory ****
1919/George F T Edwards/../../../../Post Office Directory ****
1921/George F T Edwards/../../../../Post Office Directory ****

When I moved in to Barrier (when it was first built) the frame of the sign was still standing at corner of Coldharbour/Moorlands - will see if I can dig out a snap.

Apart from the photo of sign you have at
http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/coldharbour.html

there are the cellars during demolition.
http://www.urban75.org/brixton/features/barrier.html

sign shows in the second and third photos - but you have to know where to look! It is a white pole with a black frame on top - bisects the B of Barkers Corner in second photo (side on so almost invisible), and is to right of two lamp posts in centre of third

Didn't know it had previously been called Royal Veteran. The RV companies were formed in 1825, largely of veterans of Napoleonic wars, and were used to serve in the penal colonies of New South Wales, Australia, where they were given land grants on discharge. Scheme was not a success and few took up the grants, many returning to this country. Not difficult to speculate that pub was named and run by one such returnee!

Thanks to that site, I've now managed to find out what almost all the shops on the strip by the pub were. To the right was Blake's bicycle shop, then R E Hobday's off-licence, a closed shop at 313, then a newsagent and another Blake's bike shop.

To the left of the pub at # 301-303 was Barker Ltd., and then Moorlands Road.

I'm quite taken back by the size of the thing - for a pub that size it seems strange that so little information is available.

A closer look reveals that Loughborough Park Tavern was built in 1899. So was the Royal Veteran there before? Or was the pub just rebuilt?

A closer look reveals that Loughborough Park Tavern was built in 1899. So was the Royal Veteran there before? Or was the pub just rebuilt?

argh, don't start that again!

Going to have to go through this thread again

eta: Just had a quick look at thread and I found that I posted it was the Royal Veteran in 18?? (forgotten year already - see post no. 66), but no info on whether it was knocked down and rebuilt as the Loughborough at any stage or whether the Loughborough just took over the RV's premises.

but then see post no 67 (I think) where I state in 1878 (or was it 1868?)

In the Matter of Proceedings for Liquidation by Arrangement
or Composition with Creditors, instituted by
Samuel Robert Pettier, formerly of the Fountain Publichouse,
James-street, Bebhnal Green, in the county of
Middlesex, then of the Green Man Public-house, Highstreet,
Hoxton, in the said county, afterwards of the
Queen's Head, York-road, Battersea, in the county of
Surrey, subsequently of the .Clarence Public-house,
Surrey-lane, Battersea aforesaid, then of the George the
Fourth Public-house, in Lincolu's-inn-fields, in the
county of Middlesex, afterwards of the Loughborough
Tavern, Loughborough-road, Brixton,
in the county of
Surrey, lately carrying on business at the Half-way
Public-house, Battersca Park-road, in the county of
Surrey, Publican, and (at present residing at the Halfway
Public-house, Battersea Park-road aforesaid, oat of
business. NOTICE is hereby

Quick look for Charrington's produced this

Charrington brewery, founded in 1738 and brewing in Mile End until 1975. It merged with Bass in 1967, which itself had merged with Mitchells & Butlers (the name later taken for the Pub Co), and is now defunct. Bass ale is still brewed, as well as some others of the Charrington range (including Toby Ale).

Not exactly relevant, but interesting story about one of the Charrington's

Frederick Charrington had everything going for him. He was young, tall, good-looking and, best of all, he stood to come into millions as heir to one of the great brewing families of the East End.

But Fred was no idle son of the rich, he also had a conscience and it was this that would change the course of his life forever.

Charrington was born in the East End, baptised at St Dunstan’s, Stepney and raised in 3 Tredegar Place, later re-numbered 87 Bow Road. He was sent to the posh Marlborough public school but returned to the family home in the East End and it was here, as a young man, that the extraordinary coincidence occurred that would lead Fred to renounce his millions and work for the poor.

Passing the Rising Sun pub in Cambridge Heath Road, Bethnal Green, Charrington saw a sight within, all too common in the Victorian East End. A woman with her three children in tow begged her husband for money, the drunken spouse hit his wife and Fred, unable to ignore any injustice, rushed in to pull the man off. He paused in horror. There, above the door was the name of the pub’s proprietors . . . Charrington.

He renounced the family millions and dedicated his life to helping the fallen and the falling and to fighting the “evils” that dragged them down – alcohol, poverty and prostitution.
Charrington would parade up and down outside the East End gin palaces, wearing a sandwich board which carried the dire warning “The wages of sin is death”.

He kept watch on the numerous brothels, noting down the comings and goings in his little black book, later handing on the details to the constabulary.
Needless to say, Fred’s public spiritedness was not always welcome and he received many batterings from the prostitutes’ pimps.

And on one unfortunate occasion, the madame of an East End brothel was so distracted by the news that Charrington was approaching with his little black book that she rushed inside her house, had a heart attack and promptly died.

On Sundays Fred would lead his temperance brass band through Stepney and Wapping, stopping to tempt converts at the many pubs along the way – many of them bearing that name Charrington above their door. The throng would grow along the way, and by the end would contain a large number of good-natured and noisy drunks, who found “Uncle Fred’s” regular weekend procession great sport.

Many mocked Charrington, and his opposition to music halls made him appear as one of those grim Victorian philanthropists for whom any entertainment was morally suspect. But he left his monument and one that did immense good for generations of East Enders.

Charrington, having renounced riches, campaigned vigorously to raise cash and build the Great Assembly Hall in Mile End Road. The mission, opened in 1886, fed the poor bodies with bread and cocoa and their souls with evangelistic religion. Before the phrase was ever coined, the mission was a centre of social work and, in 1910, provided Christmas dinner for 850 families.

Fred died in 1936, one of the last survivors of the great Victorian philanthropists. And just a few years later his mission would be gone too – burned down in the fires of the Blitz.

http://eastlondonhistory.com/frederick-charrington/

Back
Top Bottom