Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Paul O'Grady

To someone who's connections with actual family are tenuous at best if not non existent, Paul O'Grady passing away feels like losing a beloved uncle. 😢
Yeah, kind of know what you mean.

Really felt quite tearful telling my wife about him this morning.

Sad news. He seemed like a very decent and likeable man.

I'm sure I saw him performing as Lily Savage in the Royal Vauxhall Tavern back in the mid-80s, when I lived nearby.

Also really enjoyed the first volume of his autobiography - very funny and humane.

RIP.

Also posted on Corbyn thread:

4zns6sgk4rqa1.jpg

When the police came into the Royal Vauxhall Tavern in 1987 wearing rubber gloves, Lily asked if they were there to do the washing up

He knew what poverty was like and he never forgot that. He wasn't one of these who are like "I got myself up by the bootstraps, why can't you?" types, pull up the ladder behind them, you know. He got it, he knew life was a real struggle for a lot of people and it bothered him. I hope he's made people think, even watching them clips now after he's died, I hope people'll see that and go "You know what? He's got a point there."

To someone who's connections with actual family are tenuous at best if not non existent, Paul O'Grady passing away feels like losing a beloved uncle. 😢
Ditto. My dad and another close friend of the family (gay 'uncle') were in his social circles from the victoria mansion days.

I don't think I met him but remember him being mentioned.

He knew what poverty was like and he never forgot that. He wasn't one of these who are like "I got myself up by the bootstraps, why can't you?" types, pull up the ladder behind them, you know. He got it, he knew life was a real struggle for a lot of people and it bothered him. I hope he's made people think, even watching them clips now after he's died, I hope people'll see that and go "You know what? He's got a point there."

Apparently if there were ever people needed for any of his shows for paid work (actor, extra, crew etc) he would insist on those jobs being advertised and recruited for via the job centre, to make sure everyone could see them and apply and have a fair chance at it. (Sorry if that was posted already, or even if I already replied or mentioned that - it is something that sticks out in my mind).

I'm a bit cut up about this tbh - I didn't always fully appreciate every bit of entertainment he did (I really never liked Blankety Blank ffs no matter who was presenting it) but he was quite frequently bang on point with cutting comments about the political status quo and was someone who I definitely felt was on my side. He also came across as someone who was above all, a kind person.

67 is no fucking age is it, it's a real shame that he is gone while so many other arses are still using up oxygen.

Rest in Peace. With lots of your beloved doggies by your side.

I saw Lily fly off the stage at the RVT back in the day, and slap some dick in the face - he and a couple of mates turned up in rubber gloves for a bit of gay-baiting. The slap echoed around the pub - Lily didn't say a word, just pointed in his face with the longest fingernail and the most ferocious expression :D Rest in peace and love, Paul - you really were fabulous.

I'm feeling all emotional
BBC News - Paul O'Grady: Fans and dogs line streets for star's funeral

That's made me well up that has - not just for him and it is a sad loss, but also the wider fact that so many people turned up out of love for a gay man and drag performer gives me a little bit of hope that maybe the entire world isn't shit and bigoted, no matter what the level of toxic shite on twitter looks like some days.

That's made me well up that has - not just for him and it is a sad loss, but also the wider fact that so many people turned up out of love for a gay man and drag performer gives me a little bit of hope that maybe the entire world isn't shit and bigoted, no matter what the level of toxic shite on twitter looks like some days.
Yeah, this was a rare bit of heartwarming news even though it actually concerned a person’s funeral. The shots of countless people and more importantly countless dogs lining the route was brilliant, and I’m sure he could not have wished for anything better than that. If there were to be an afterlife after all, Mr O’Grady will be very happy and beaming at the sending off he got :)

Should have one for Dixie Dean too. One at Goodison, fair enough, but he was from Birkenhead. Most goals scored ever in a top flight season. Cos he was rock.

Back
Top Bottom