Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Paul O'Grady

very sad, ive spent hours and hours with him on radio 2 on a sunday, brings you close to a person.
great shout yossarian for the fantasy drinking team, he can clearly be great company
i know he's written a bunch of autobiographies, ive just had a look but they dont seem to be audiobooks, such a shame, as would love to hear him read them.
I don’t watch tv but I love biographies and his were some of the best I’ve read. RIP x

ah, shit
that's unexpected and very unwelcome news this morning.

RIP fella and his alter ego ... condolences as appropriate

RIP, One of the good uns. Bought one of his bio's not so long ago, post war manchester. Different world.

I love this (from the bbc)

How Paul O'Grady stood up to police who raided a gay club in 1987

Among the tributes to Paul O’Grady, many people are remembering his appearances at the Royal Vauxhall Tavern, one of London’s most famous gay clubs.

The star had an eight-year residency at the venue in the 1980s, in his outrageous drag persona Lily Savage, and was on stage during a notorious police raid in 1987.

The operation was ostensibly prompted by concerns over the use of amyl nitrate, otherwise known as poppers, but was widely believed to be part of a wider movement to close gay clubs during the panic over Aids.

More than 20 officers flooded into the venue wearing rubber gloves, prompting O'Grady to joke: "Well, it looks like we’ve got help with the washing up."

That's a shame. I once saw him in panto with Julian Clary and various other celebs (Nigel Havers lol) and he was absolutely hilarious. Great ad-libber with a filthy humour. Not sure the kids understood why me and the Mrs were pissing ourselves with laughter every time he opened his mouth.

That's a shame. I once saw him in panto with Julian Clary and various other celebs (Nigel Havers lol) and he was absolutely hilarious. Great ad-libber with a filthy humour. Not sure the kids understood why me and the Mrs were pissing ourselves with laughter every time he opened his mouth.
Same

I generally go by the assumption that anyone who makes it to bona fide "celeb" status is an arsehole unless proven otherwise, given the level of narcissism that's almost necessary to attain those heights. This has a pretty high hit rate.

But having had some friends in the service industry who tended to him, I know O'Grady was one of the exceptions. I've never heard anything but kind words from anyone who's met or worked with him. Lovely, lovely man, they all said. Treats everyone like a human being and they matter.

Back
Top Bottom