Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Michael Collins, Apollo 11 astronaut

Circling the moon alone for 22 hours wondering if the lunar module would function properly on the ascent sounds incredibly stressful - he later said he had a bag around his neck containing 18 contingency plans to rescue Aldrin and Armstrong if something went wrong.

In his memoir, he wrote: "My secret terror for the last six months has been leaving them on the moon and returning to Earth alone; now I am within minutes of finding out the truth of the matter. If they fail to rise from the surface, or crash back into it, I am not going to commit suicide; I am coming home, forthwith, but I will be a marked man for life and I know it."

Circling the moon alone for 22 hours wondering if the lunar module would function properly on the ascent sounds incredibly stressful - he later said he had a bag around his neck containing 18 contingency plans to rescue Aldrin and Armstrong if something went wrong.

In his memoir, he wrote: "My secret terror for the last six months has been leaving them on the moon and returning to Earth alone; now I am within minutes of finding out the truth of the matter. If they fail to rise from the surface, or crash back into it, I am not going to commit suicide; I am coming home, forthwith, but I will be a marked man for life and I know it."
The biggest mystery is how the rocket ever got off the ground, given the size of their balls.

William Anders, whose “Earthrise” photo showed the planet as a shadowed blue marble from space in 1968, had texted a friend to say he planned to do a flyby near her house on the western shore of Orcas Island, the National Transportation Safety Board said in its preliminary report.

1720017610514.png

Back
Top Bottom