Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Little Richard

Little Richard wasn't ashamed of anything as far as I can tell. He wore make up in the 70s. Sung tutti fruti and keep on knockin in the 50s.

Did this in the whenever:

He happened to love Jesus Christ and rightly so in my opinion.

What's with twitter videos not playing. I assume it's twitter dickishness but the post will be too far away when you follow the link next week

I never rated his music particularly but he certainly helped change the face of music. RIP

I find a lot of 50's music admirable but only comprehensible as an 'exhibit'. Little Richard's stuff is one of the only bodies of popular work that really sings to me from that era directly, and moves me like it was intended to move contemporary audiences.

Don't get me wrong - there's plenty of jazz and other rock&roll stuff that I appreciate, but much of it, unsurprisingly comes through a thick cultural time filter that numbs the effect.

His voice - the surprise / panic / exuberance / vitality - shakes me all this time later.

I particularly like the voyeuristic delights of Long Tall Sally, which I picture delivered by a wise-beyond-his-years adolescent narrator, seeing all the obvious shit that the adults miss right in front of their eyes :D .

One thing to add - there are so many bad recordings out there of Little Richard's voice. I imagine it was a difficult instrument to record and master. It's worth shopping around for a better recording if he's not hitting your spot right ;).

Here's a case in point. I don't know the circumstances behind these recordings, and it wouldn't surprise me if the second has been remastered or something, but I think it shows how his material can jump out the speakers if the production is done properly:

(Bit flat and clipped imo) :

(yes mate!)

There's a good true(ish) crime and music podcast called Disgraceland... The Little Richard episode is well worth a listen. Gives a bit more of a sense of him as a person.

There's something about him that's really hard to take seriously. I mean obviously, kind of insane energetic beauty that doesn't let you stop and go 'wow, that guy changed music'. But he did. We owe so much to that fucked up gorgeous mess of person.

He's on that devine/profane nexus, along with Robert Johnson, Sam Cooke, Prince and countless others, deliciously torn between hymns of devotion and moans of mammon. I find the whole thing fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom