Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Ring' doorbells

Are Ring doorbells a pile of steaming arse gravy?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Wolveryeti

Detty Pig
I am not a fan. Can't really put my finger on why... Our neighbours have one. Can understand the home security angle, but find it unpleasant being greeted by a robotic voice when e.g. dropping off a parcel I've accepted for them. Feels like call screening but for answering your door...

I am not a fan. Can't really put my finger on why... Our neighbours have one. Can understand the home security angle, but find it unpleasant being greeted by a robotic voice when e.g. dropping off a parcel I've accepted for them. Feels like call screening but for answering your door...
Do you mean 'smart' doorbells or the old school ones? Apparently friendly folk are trying door handles in my home town and are put off doing so if the former is present. So considering one for my elderly mother.

Thought this was a teuchter thread!

Now that the alarm bells have ceased, wish to extend my joy towards the doorbell. Not knocking the knocker, but that harsh rap always sounds like the prelude to a raid.

Not aware of any robot interactions.

I've thought about getting one before but never got round to it. Main advantage is being able to awnser door without getting out of bed :D (i think you can use phone app?)

I know they have cameras but the robotic voice is new to me. What does it say?

I kinda want one for my flat. There is an old style doorbell which is quite week souding and puts me in mind of a ramshackle shop in a small bleak 1950s French town. The communal door is often left open, otherwise it'd be pointless really.

I've thought about getting one before but never got round to it. Main advantage is being able to awnser door without getting out of bed :D (i think you can use phone app?)

I know they have cameras but the robotic voice is new to me. What does it say?
Dunno what the voice says but I had a friend here last week and her phone regularly sent alerts saying someone was at her door .

Dunno what the voice says but I had a friend here last week and her phone regularly sent alerts saying someone was at her door .
Yeah my mate gets phone alerts for the one at his parents house. But i never heard of the robotic voice before. Maybe its like an awnserphone if you don't respond on the phone?

Yeah, I don't like the all-pervasive / invasiveness of the internet.

They "may" increase security - or the illusion thereof - but as soon as the wrong'uns figure out how to side-step them ...

[for example - mask up then spray the camera with paint or stick something such as thick n black tape over it ; both of these have happened in nearby areas].
I do like them for catching dodgy couriers chucking stuff at houses !

I have one and I love it. We live in a 3 storey house and I’ve connected it to Alexa. It means I don’t have to keep getting up and walking down a flight of stairs if I hear something that might be the front door.

It is just another step in the march towards an atomised society where you don't need to personally interact with anyone other than perhaps your immediate family and friends (like self service tills etc). It may be convenient, but I am not sure it is good...

Back
Top Bottom