Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Restaurant Recommendations - Friday/Saturday Night

Spymaster

Plastic Paddy
Hello Bristolians.

My cricket club is down there on tour the weekend after next (Thursday through Sunday). We've got quite a large group coming, over 40 people including wives and girlfriends. After our Friday game we're going to the Gloucester v Kent T20, and after that most of the youngsters are off clubbing. Some of us older farts fancy a curry or Chinese instead so I was hoping for recommendations for somewhere either close to the ground or not too far from The Haymarket Premiere Inn, which is where we're staying. There will be about 12-15 of us that evening.

We'd also be grateful for any recommendations for good breakfast places on Saturday and Sunday, and any pointers to noteworthy pubs, particularly those that wouldn't have a problem with large groups turning up.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Never been to Urban Tandoor, but the Raj in King Street is good. Also in King Street is Cathay Rendezvous, which is a very good Chinese. Disclaimer - I haven't been to either of these for years so things might have changed, it's probably worth having a gander on Trip Advisor.

Up near the ground Ganges was always good, 368 Gloucester Road - although looking on Trip Advisor some people say it isn't as good as it used to be.

Dev's Kerala isn't far from the ground and is my favourite curry place on Glos Road these days.

It's not massive but I've seen bigger groups than 15 in there. You'll need to book for sure though.

Best pub for a big group near the ground is the Sportsmans which is a bit rubbish, but the Annexe out the back of it is also large - barn like - does decent cheap food and a range of good beer. Very near ground though so could be busy on match day. The Lazy Dog isn't far either. Good beer but food a bit overpriced for what it is!

The Drapers Arms on Gloucester Road is a bit further away from ground - 15 mins walk and a lot smaller. Well worth a visit if you like good beer though. It's Bristol's first micro pub and is v friendly - Vince (the brewer) or Garvan (the joint owner) are usually around. It does a great range of beer with discounts for people with cricket tickets.

A big pub near your hotel and so nearer town is the Full Moon. It's at the bottom of Stokes Croft so prone to trendy SC hipster types. But nice to sit outside if it's sunny. There a few good pubs around the Stokes Croft area - bearing in mind the hipster warning.

The Old England would be OK with a big group of people turning up I think. It's just tucked away behind Stokes Croft. I don't think hipsters go there.

Thanks all, very much appreciated. Cathay Rendezvous looks ace.

Any decent caffs around the Premiere Inn for breakfast?

Hello Bristolians.

My cricket club is down there on tour the weekend after next (Thursday through Sunday). We've got quite a large group coming, over 40 people including wives and girlfriends. After our Friday game we're going to the Gloucester v Kent T20, and after that most of the youngsters are off clubbing. Some of us older farts fancy a curry or Chinese instead so I was hoping for recommendations for somewhere either close to the ground or not too far from The Haymarket Premiere Inn, which is where we're staying. There will be about 12-15 of us that evening.

We'd also be grateful for any recommendations for good breakfast places on Saturday and Sunday, and any pointers to noteworthy pubs, particularly those that wouldn't have a problem with large groups turning up.

Thanks.
You should be learning hurling instead of playing these foreign sports

You at the cricket now? I'm in The Drapers Arms but it shuts at 9.30 so it'll probably be shut by the time it finishes.

Never been to Urban Tandoor, but the Raj in King Street is good. Also in King Street is Cathay Rendezvous, which is a very good Chinese. Disclaimer - I haven't been to either of these for years so things might have changed, it's probably worth having a gander on Trip Advisor.

Up near the ground Ganges was always good, 368 Gloucester Road - although looking on Trip Advisor some people say it isn't as good as it used to be.

Ha. :facepalm: That's the first time I've looked at the spelling of Cathay Rendezvous. All these years I thought it was Café Rendezvous and wondered wy a Chinese restaurant has a French name...

All the pubs on King Street get pretty busy on a Friday. Navel Volunteer probably the biggest. Loads of rooms. Bit ponsy. Mind you I quite like the King Street Brew House so what do I know... Then off Corn street, you've got the Crown. Sky TV, screens, quite big. Rummer Hotel next to it is good but bit too cosy for a crowd, expensive. All import beers.

Fish Market at bottom of steps on to Baldwin Street. Big pub. Is OK.

May Flower, Chinese restaurant back in the Bear Pit bottom of Stokes Croft is pretty good. Looks shit from the outside. Usual Cantonese style stuff on the menu but good quality.

I'd avoid the harbour side on a Fri / Sat night myself. Shit music, too many wankers.

May Flower, Chinese restaurant back in the Bear Pit bottom of Stokes Croft is pretty good. Looks shit from the outside. Usual Cantonese style stuff on the menu but good quality.

I go past it quite often on a Sunday and it is always full of Chinese people, which I take to be a sign that it's good.

Back
Top Bottom