Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cornwall Recommendations

Superb holiday.

Highlights were St Michael's Mount, Tintagel, a coastal drive from Land's End to St Ives, and being invited into a Coastwatch station at Stepper Point by a volunteer watckeeper, who took pity on us as we trudged past in the pouring rain. He proceeded to talk to us about the work they do at the National Coastwatch Institute supporting the Coastguard in their work for half an hour until the sun came back out again and we continued on our way.

Some of the best bits:

E6B76DC1-2A94-4FD9-AC61-92CC46DD407B.jpeg

5AFD4905-A64B-458F-87CC-95D71F49B9D3.jpeg

96E1BBCB-49D8-49F2-AF02-F4D73D41FB9F.jpeg

86947BB5-1D4D-47FC-9E64-0B9751B55AF1.jpeg

51DE1EC2-0B9A-4D5B-9B9A-CA4D05CBE406.jpeg

0703282C-A07C-4307-8ADE-AB1C6ECBE1F0.jpeg

B8A5487C-7FBA-4D76-9030-1FE7153CCFD9.jpeg

B30FEE01-1A82-4429-82E6-5F1870071BC6.jpeg

Maybe I can tap into the knowledge here. Considering a trip to the far west in late January, I have a week off and found a few interesting cottages, one in St Just and one on going towards the lizard. Will be doing walks and beaches, possibly a few museums if they’re open.

I am used to the weather in the winter as I am just a little bit further upcountry, so that’s not an issue. If it’s totally vile I’m happy to spend a day watching films anyway.

My main concern is that there will be a chippy / pub open nearby. Anything else I should think about?

Maybe I can tap into the knowledge here. Considering a trip to the far west in late January, I have a week off and found a few interesting cottages, one in St Just and one on going towards the lizard. Will be doing walks and beaches, possibly a few museums if they’re open.

I am used to the weather in the winter as I am just a little bit further upcountry, so that’s not an issue. If it’s totally vile I’m happy to spend a day watching films anyway.

My main concern is that there will be a chippy / pub open nearby. Anything else I should think about?
No problems with chippies and pubs in St Just. Jeremy's do good fish and chips and the town square has at least 4 pubs off the top of my head. Once upon a time it had the most pubs in Britain per head of capita, I think. Used to be one called The Miners or something that was basically someones front room. :D Those days are gone but you won't be caught out. I used to like The Star.

One thing you may be struck by is just how quiet and empty some of the coastal villages are out of season. The pubs nearly all stay open most days of the week, but anything else is pot luck unless you are in one of the bigger towns. The Lizard can get mighty windy. Enjoy!

I’m with a group of friends waking the South West coastal path. We do 2 weekends per year. We started in Minehead June 2021 & yesterday landed in our last part of North Cornwall (Newquay)

On Saturday we stayed here which I thoroughly recommend. You can stay in the hostel itself, bring your own tent or hire a pod or bell tent with log burner. You can have a fire, it has fridge-freezers , cooking amenities, plenty of showers, good cafe sells alcohol. The beach is beautiful and is near to Harlyn Bay & bigger places like Padstow & Newquay.

We were blessed with the weather & all 9 of us went in the sea for ages jumping over the waves.

We do Newquay to St Ives April 2024

I'm vaguely considering a trip to Cornwall in the summer, mainly to do some walking and photography. Has anyone got any recommendations for places to go/things to see?

Tintagel and Lizard Point are already on my list. Maybe Mousehole too, to see if it's actually a real place :D

Paging Voley.
If my last trip to Mousehole is anything to go by you'll probably hear London accents as much as local ones.

I’m going to spend an evening in Polperro next month, there is a showing of The Manxman, one of Alfred Hitchcock’s silent films that was filmed there in the 1920s.

What should I do during the day in Polperro and the surrounding area, I already plan to explore the village to see if any locations have changed

Back
Top Bottom