Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Repelling Foxes

Nigel

For A Degenerates' Workers State
Recently I found a young hedgehog in a crisp packet by side of the road ! We nurtured it until it grew twice its size and recently,we put it in garden with special house for hedgehogs bought @pets shop, gradually expanding an enclosure to eventually let it go wild !

We have also lost a tortoise in garden that we had for at least 12yrs. I bought it for my step son but he got bored with it ! Around this time we lost a daughter after miscarriage; 7 months and have nurtured the creature almost sometimes as a child, having it seeping many times on my chest and feeding her by hand !

The Hedgehog has recently been attacked and eaten by wild fox and we haven't been able to find the tortoise !

I was thinking of setting trap or attempting to shoot fox with air gun !
However I would like to find some sort of alternative & more humane option !
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

Outside dog of the right sort would do it, otherwise it's big chickenwire cage with really deep sunk edging as they can't half dig.

The culprit is most likely to be a badger. Foxes are far more scavenger than hunter and a rolled up hedgehog is a pretty difficult bundle to handle.

Set up some wildlife watching cameras.
or
Sonic deterrents work quite well.

Besides, foxes and hedgehogs get on famously...

resizedimage638478-Sonic-and-Tails.jpg

When I've had problems with them I the past, I've pissed and scattered human hair around, which deters them.

Don't try to shoot a fox with a sub 12ftlb air rifle; even a FAC one would struggle. You need something more powerful for a humane dispatch, which is unlikely to be safe for a domestic garden (them if you had a license).

When I've had problems with them I the past, I've pissed and scattered human hair around, which deters them.

Don't try to shoot a fox with a sub 12ftlb air rifle; even a FAC one would struggle. You need something more powerful for a humane dispatch, which is unlikely to be safe for a domestic garden (them if you had a license).
how would you rate a crossbow?

It will as pointed out several times above be a badger responsible for the hedgehog’s death.
A guy from Yorkshire Wildlife Trust told us a lack of hedgehogs in your area is usually down to a sizeable badger population.

The govt page says you can contact these for info on managing wildlife on your land:

England
Contact Wildlife Management and Licensing at Natural England for advice on dealing with birds and animals on your land.

Wildlife Management and Licensing wildlife@naturalengland.org.uk
0845 6014523
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm

Assuming you're in England. If not, find your appropriate country here (there's different laws for each): Managing wildlife on your land

I can't believe this thread has been up for so long and there is still no 'Rappelling foxes' parody thread

Back
Top Bottom