Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reheating rice

I don't have a link. I am assuming that the rice has been properly cooled and kept in a fridge. I am also relying on my wife's twenty years of food microbiology research as a source of advice.
So, in actual fact, frying is irrelevant. It does not render unsafe rice safe.

Cheers.

Yup, it is the cooling and storage that is critical. Not the second cooking.

Treated properly, the risk is minimised but as the spores are endemic to rice now, it can never be entirely eliminated.

What many of you don't realise is that uncooked rice is a natural home to millions of tiny organisms known as Oryza mustelida, or the ricebadger. Ricebadgers are about a tenth of the size of a normal badger and thus smaller than a human eye, so you can't see them mixed in with the grains of rice, but they're there all the same.

Most of the time they are harmless, just naively going about their badger chores without a greater understanding of the ties that bind them. This all changes once you boil the rice. On doing this, the ricebadgers understandably get quite upset, as would you if your city and everything in it was cooked for ten minutes in a pan of water at 100 degrees celsius.

When everything has cooled back down these little guys are pretty much in a state of shock, but they're not willing to take such a beating again so they start getting organised, forming the first basis of unions in their underground jazz bars. From there the contingency planning begins and although it takes a while to build Andersen shelters and form successfully self-organising collectives, by the next day they've got some good scaled down solidarity going on. The trouble for them is that now the immediate danger has passed, the ricebadger population aren't ready for an uprising. The fat are getting fat again already and although they remember how you recently tried to stamp out their race, Diagnosis Murder is on ITV and for now that wins out.

Of course you have no idea about any of this unless you look at your rice through a telescope, and who does that? Unwittingly, you reheat the rice the next day. Ricebadger Command was deployed for this very moment though, and as you microwave their oppressed people, they're ready. Those who can, rise up. You eat your rice but little do you know, that on this darkest of days for badgerkind, you're also chowing down on their special operatives, civilian militias and anyone fit enough to fight.

Soon ricebadger commandos have infiltrated all your important parts like the spleen and the large asparagus, and they chew through your guts like any angry badger would after you murdered his family in cold blood, laughing, right in the middle of Quincy. They're only small so there's limited damage that their last stand can inflict, but it's enough for a night of you vomiting up their brave little bodies with the rest of their ill fated civilisation, god rest their souls.

Anyway that's why you shouldn't reheat rice. HTH.

:D

(although i hate to pull you up on your Linnaean taxonomy, i think they're probably called Oryza mustelida, little m, no e)

They should also bear in mind that eating too much rice increases your risk of significant exposure to toxic heavy metals as well - Arsenic in particular - We are working on that one just now.

The pain hits you like a tonne of lead soup.

Mavis - No problem mate. I feel bad pointing out one minor error in your highly scientific explanation (the only such explanation on the thread, and on any other rice-re-heating thread in all honesty, of which there are many), hope you don't mind.

I can't believe I'm the million and oneth person to post this, but

I love you mauvais. Will you marry me? Please.

So she thinks Bacillus cereus isn't an issue? and that cooking destroys the heat labile toxins it produces?

:eek: quite frankly if that is the case!! Are you sure she's not just saying the risk is quite small rather than frying it resolves the problem?

That, as you will se by reading what was posted, is not what either I or she have said.

In my family(Ugandan Asians) its totally normal to re-heat rice. I never heard of it giving people food poisoning untill i live in a shared house a few years ago and one of my flat mates freaked out about me re-heating rice.

It's never made me ill :)

I've had zillions of takeaways in my life and none of them made me ill. Except one. A particularly virulent form of salmonella which made me throw up if I even sipped tea for a full two weeks. The only way we can avoid that is to make sure that restaurants and takeaways follow good practice with respect to hygiene and food storage.

Now, if rice was so dangerous that it made you that ill (and whilst it's not salmonella, it's every bit as nasty), we either wouldn't eat it or we'd be bloody careful when we did. But it's not that dangerous, very often. If I say that "reheating rice can cause food poisoning" I'm not saying it happens every time. The fact that it didn't happen once, or a hundred times, is not evidence that it cannot cause food poisoning.

It's up to you what level of risk you want to take, and it's not particularly high. But it's fucking pointless posting about how you often reheat rice and it's never made you ill.

Prob been covered but don't an awful lot of those M&S style meal-for-one microwave things contain rice to be reheated?

Are they sprayed with anti pogofish/balls inflaming stuff?

In my family(Ugandan Asians) its totally normal to re-heat rice. I never heard of it giving people food poisoning untill i live in a shared house a few years ago and one of my flat mates freaked out about me re-heating rice.

It's never made me ill :)

There is an issue involving a tolerance to bacillus cerus that has been found in certain ethnic groups BTW.

Research into that is only in its early stages, so they don't know if it is inherited or maintained by continued exposure in the diet. Either way, it does not seem applicable to westerners yet.

Now, if rice was so dangerous that it made you that ill (and whilst it's not salmonella, it's every bit as nasty), we either wouldn't eat it or we'd be bloody careful when we did. But it's not that dangerous, very often

Actually, even severe salmonella is a walk in the park compared to what I had - Which was far worse and with the added bonus of the secondary toxins coming back and hitting me for many months after. By comparison, the Salmonella was over in a fortnight and I could start recovering. Salmonella farts were things to behold though - PEW! :eek: :D

Rice is also now attributed to a very significant part of the total for food poisoning, so it does happen frequently.

Back
Top Bottom