Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend me a good vegetarian cookbook

what citydreams said

cranks bible - she gives lots of background history to her cooking and her passion really comes across

one of the things about being veggie is that it can feel like breaking with tradition and she weaves tradition in from her background - Jewish/Morrocan

she also gives lots of alternatives to a receipe

Mrs Magpie said:
He's a P&P type. Not used to the ambience of this forum. Probably hoping this thread would shortly form into factions.
You calling me a type :D Sorry, hungover and grumpy this morning is all. Apologies all round :)

moose said:
That bitch changed her tune when she saw there was a bandwagon to be jumped on. I remember her ranting on about how she 'didn't believe in' vegetarianism in the 80's.

Do you think Gordon will crack and do a vegetarian cookbook at some point? ;)

Mrs Magpie said:
The Vegetarian Epicure. Really good. You can borrow my copy. There's a website too.

www.vegetarianepicure.com

If you are looking for veggie "dinner party" ideas, then Anna Thomas's New Vegetarian Epicure was published in the UK as From Anna's Kitchen - Plain and Fancy Vegetarian Menus in the Penguin Cookery Library. It looks as though I got my copy from the inflatable bookshop man at the Lambeth Country Show for £2.99.

Most of them have ingredients you can find in the UK - apart from the noplito cactus!

lang rabbie said:
If you are looking for veggie "dinner party" ideas, then Anna Thomas's New Vegetarian Epicure was published in the UK as From Anna's Kitchen - Plain and Fancy Vegetarian Menus in the Penguin Cookery Library. It looks as though I got my copy from the inflatable bookshop man at the Lambeth Country Show for £2.99.

Have any of the Anna Thomas fans tried making the Torta di Polenta with Three Cheeses? It sounds foolproof as a dish you can make in advance.

I've been loving Anna Jones' stuff moose - I probably cook her recipes twice a week - or have been doing so for a few months now. I have her second cookbook, a Modern way to Cook, but angling for her first, a modern way to eat, as a Christmas/B'day present - not that any of my family have taken the hint. :rolleyes: In fact our dinner tonight was one of her recipes.

I love 'em, because I'm such a squeamish veggie (can't cook eggs!) and you can adapt a lot them easily. Her banana/blueberry pancakes are my favourite thing.

ringo recommended Jack Bishop's Italian Vegetarian book upthread - we use this most weeks. His Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen is also very good. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Veg Every Day is a good one too.

A Modern Way to Eat is pretty good. The raw brownies are great. I wasn't as taken with her second book though and haven't bought it.

I've been loving Anna Jones' stuff moose - I probably cook her recipes twice a week - or have been doing so for a few months now. I have her second cookbook, a Modern way to Cook, but angling for her first, a modern way to eat, as a Christmas/B'day present - not that any of my family have taken the hint. :rolleyes: In fact our dinner tonight was one of her recipes.
How do you know?! It might be waiting for you under the tree...

A Modern Way to Eat is pretty good. The raw brownies are great. I wasn't as taken with her second book though and haven't bought it.

Well that's encouraging as I'd heard her second book was better (which is why I opted for it) - obviously everyone has differing opinions - so sounds like it's worth getting the first one too. I've mostly done savoury from it, not having a sweet tooth, but I did make some amazing raw nut and chocolate biscuits from it. God they are so good. Pricey but worth it.

actually the only thing I will say about her second book is taht it's divided into sections based on how long it takes to make the meals. Don't believe her - it's lies. It may take Anna Jones 20 minutes to make some of those dishes but in my house we need to add 10 minutes, at least, to each recipe. Although this is probably down to the general level of chaos and the distinct possibility that someone will wet themselves/have a fight/fall down the stairs whilst I'm cooking. :rolleyes: Calmer households may be better.

actually the only thing I will say about her second book is taht it's divided into sections based on how long it takes to make the meals. Don't believe her - it's lies. It may take Anna Jones 20 minutes to make some of those dishes but in my house we need to add 10 minutes, at least, to each recipe. Although this is probably down to the general level of chaos and the distinct possibility that someone will wet themselves/have a fight/fall down the stairs whilst I'm cooking. :rolleyes: Calmer households may be better.
:D All chefs lie about this sort of thing. Cf Jamie's 15-minute meals...

Thanks - no one did get me this despite all the hints, and they are out of stock on Amazon - plus postage is free on this site anyways. So I just bought it for myself. :D
Do you know if there are many vegan recipes in her books? We don't eat meat at home for environmental reasons and I'm avoiding dairy as it seems to give the baby reflux. Am in a very limited rut and desperate for inspiration but would prefer a veggie book to a vegan one as we're not actually vegan iyswim.

Do you know if there are many vegan recipes in her books? We don't eat meat at home for environmental reasons and I'm avoiding dairy as it seems to give the baby reflux. Am in a very limited rut and desperate for inspiration but would prefer a veggie book to a vegan one as we're not actually vegan iyswim.

edited - loads- her brother is vegan and she often refers to him - so many are vegan anyway, and those which are not, she gives vegan alternatives. (at least this is the case in the second book - only just ordered the first one). the back of the book has an index of which are vegan and which are "vegan with a tweak" and also which are gluten-free and which are "gluten-free with a tweak".

Last edited:
loads/all - her siblings are vegan and she often refers to them - so many are vegan anyway, and those which are not, she gives vegan alternatives. (at least this is the case in the second book - only just ordered the first one).
Brill, thanks! That sounds like just what we need.

Back
Top Bottom