Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

razor blades under fascist stickers - myth or not?

Fozzie Bear

This cropped up again on twitter today as part of a discussion about NF stickers appearing around Camden.

Basically the story goes that one should be very careful when removing fascist stickers from lamp posts, walls, wherever, because they might have razor blades underneath them.

It was suggested that the best thing to do is to carry around your own stickers to put over the fascist ones.

I have to say, I've been removing fash stickers since the mid 80s and my fingers are very much still intact.

Has this ever happened to you, or someone you know?

First heard it at the start of the 1990s repeated to me by people active since the early 1980s I guess.

I'm trying to remember whether it also applied to flyposters or just stickers?

If stickers, how long have they been around?

Thinking about it, stickers weren't an issue in my day- not sure they existed. it was posters. But hey. Same principle.

The rumour was around in the late 70s . We used to carry Stanley knives in case we saw stickers because of it, or remove them with a coin. Never found a razor blade .

In the late 70s and the 80s I used to spend a lot of time taking down NF stickers and posters and heard the stories about razor blades, never found one, never heard of anyone who did and I think it is an urban myth. There was a guy who suggested we mix ground glass with the wallpaper paste we used to put up SWP/ANL posters but it was politely pointed out it was a lot of work and probably wouldn't be effective.

I've heard that you're supposed to look out for razor blades under fash stickers but never encountered one or heard of anybody else encountering one.

But since fash have presumably heard the same rumours, it'd be wise to take appropriate care when dealing with their stickers because no doubt some of them think the razor blade idea is something they're supposed to emulate.

Given their general track record in this kind of endeavour, you'll probably be able to spot the booby-trapped stickers by the trail of blood and severed fingertips in the area.

Back
Top Bottom