Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Race across the World

Omg, the poutine made me long for the homeland. But no bagels while they're in Montreal?

I’m evil but I was absolutely pissing myself when the two women ran all down those stairs then had to go back again. 😄

I really want the couple to win, they’re lovely.

bit of a meh episode this seek. Still glad to see Zainab in the lead tho and not too sorry to see boring father/daughter act go.

We were going to apply for this years but it turns out we'll be on holiday when they're filming (eight weeks sometime between September and November)

Well I feel sorry for the daughter, but her dad was a tit. I don't care for the two "old ladies" (who are my age but seem about 10 years older), but I'd be quite happy with either of the other two winning.

I'm wondering if Zainib just intentionally never mentions her autism, or if she's genuinely undiagnosed.

Well I feel sorry for the daughter, but her dad was a tit. I don't care for the two "old ladies" (who are my age but seem about 10 years older), but I'd be quite happy with either of the other two winning.
Agreed.

I'm wondering if Zainib just intentionally never mentions her autism, or if she's genuinely undiagnosed.
Well she’s a psychiatrist, so I’m guessing she’d know. I don’t know if she has autism or not, but I think she’s fab.

Best part of final episode Cathies epiphany by the lake and going home to cutting her working hours

Reactions: Chz
Well she’s a psychiatrist, so I’m guessing she’d know. I don’t know if she has autism or not, but I think she’s fab.
It wasn't meant as a dig, I think she's wonderful too (as is my ASD son). It was just this moment when she admitted that she sees her partner more as an extension of herself than as a separate entity that made me think it. I mean, not just that alone but it was the "aha" moment I thought. I think the crowd over in the special needs thread would recognise a lot of traits going on there. She masks well, but it slips when she's tired. I think if we'd seen more of the brothers, there might have been a bit of it in the Xbox-loving one.

Enjoyed it, it's very much a show where it doesn't matter who wins - even if irritating dad won, I'd be happy for his daughter. I'm not pleased to see a "Celebrity" version coming our way because I thought it being normal people was part of the draw.

I liked the after-show bit - "We thought you were a couple!" Well so did I, given how bossy her mate is. :D

How does it work when they're cleaning some random stables for money or off on a sightseeing mission? Feels like they stop the clock or something or presumably none would bother. I can't help thinking it's somewhat more organised/staged than they let on.

I doubt they have to stop the timer - they are expected to take 8 weeks or so to do it. Certainly there's a monstrous amount of footage that goes unaired. There was the bit where they were on the ferry in Toronto that I couldn't fathom because they were talking about Niagara Falls. But then in the after show there was footage of the two of them working the funfair on the Toronto islands that was presumably too boring to put in the show. I'm sure the working bits are all arranged well ahead of time, of course. Those businesses don't want a visit from HMRC about their undocumented employees, after all.

I doubt they have to stop the timer - they are expected to take 8 weeks or so to do it. Certainly there's a monstrous amount of footage that goes unaired. There was the bit where they were on the ferry in Toronto that I couldn't fathom because they were talking about Niagara Falls. But then in the after show there was footage of the two of them working the funfair on the Toronto islands that was presumably too boring to put in the show. I'm sure the working bits are all arranged well ahead of time, of course. Those businesses don't want a visit from HMRC about their undocumented employees, after all.
Yeah a lot of it must be arranged well ahead of time so not sure how that works with the "race".

Yeah a lot of it must be arranged well ahead of time so not sure how that works with the "race".
They are given booklets with the “jobs” they can do along the way. These are prearranged, but pencilled in. Depending on routes taken and funds, the contestant will no doubt tell the production team “we’ll do the fake pulling down a rotten shed job”. This earns them money but loses them time. That’s part of the calculation.

The production team will then phone ahead.

I'm aware I'm being miserable and stupid. Just felt a bit more managed this series - the guy in the car talking about adoption - but probably a fair bit covid-related as mentioned.

When I went back to recheck, I've only actually heard of two of them.

Launch now postponed as they didn't think it would be appropriate to start the show in Marrakesh considering recent events.

Ooh I was in Nara two days ago... didn't rush to get there though... took a really slow train from Kyoto that took an hour and ten minutes....

Hmm, the two mothers and daughters look okay, not sure about the rest yet. The husband looks particularly annoying.

Oddly, the Beeb episode guide has the next episode bring from Nara to Sokcho, S Korea. But the third leg starts in Hanoi and goes to Phnom Pen.

Edit: a map

IMG_3690.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom