Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

End of the World Nuke filums

There’s was a remake of this with Brian brown iirc and it doesn’t come close to the original
The original still moves me, as does the Neville Shute Novel it was based on - I re-read that once a year and it still haunts every time, even if the scientific premiss is wrong.

The re-make was OK, but a bit meh.

and another. this un is about Winnipeg mostly. The thing that comes acrosss is that the the canadians thought "fuck it" and realised they were powerless with the great satan to the south, especially the proximity to the US silos to the border. It looks like they decided to do other stuff rather than prepare for a brave new post nuke world.

Jogged the memory, this thread. Have not seen in many years but this one, penned by HG Wells is a classic. Whilst not quite nuclear devestating, it deals with endless conflict and a grim future.

The clip is Kermode. Actual film is all on the platform, and can't wait to see it again.

Jogged the memory, this thread. Have not seen in many years but this one, penned by HG Wells is a classic. Whilst not quite nuclear devestating, it deals with endless conflict and a grim future.

The clip is Kermode. Actual film is all on the platform, and can't wait to see it again.

I think Wells did predict The Bomb (yes, that The Bomb) in one of his other books. Just not in Things to Come. But I suppose TTC does provide the template for post-catastrophe movies (was it the first of its kind, on that score?)

I think Wells did predict The Bomb (yes, that The Bomb) in one of his other books. Just not in Things to Come. But I suppose TTC does provide the template for post-catastrophe movies (was it the first of its kind, on that score?)
Am currently reading (very slowly as the language is deliberately archaic) William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land, which predates the HG Wells film and novel by some 20 years. Not sure if it's ever been filmed but it's definitely a post catastrophic tale...

Oof, forgot about this beauty

The day the earth caught fire. It’s a fabulous watch. Ticks all me end of the world boxes. Current online on the talking movies on request channel on free view - yes, there are tos of old movies on there for free ( red button to activate)

A young lanky Micheal Caine pops up uncredited as a copper C573C092-EEE6-495A-AF4E-B69FFE1B81DC.png

Last edited:
Oof, forgot about this beauty

The day the earth caught fire. It’s a fabulous watch. Ticks all me end of the world boxes. Current online on the talking movies on request channel on free view - yes, there are tos of old movies on there for free ( red button to activate)

A young lanky Micheal Caine pops up uncredited as a copper View attachment 400559
Well, it's a foolhardy person who thinks they can alter the nutation of the Earth without consequences :hmm:

Great thread! Anarcho-preppers in da house!

And 'Threads' - obviously. Great almost documentary style, absolutely no-punches-pulled of the horror of it either. Gave me teenage nightmares. Re-watched the other day in light of WW3 chatter and was still horrifying.

Someone's trying track down who the person in the iconic traffic warden outfit photo was.
Yes, I thought it was Kenneth Branagh too but it seems not.

for those who don't do twitter
1715633774410.png

Back
Top Bottom