Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Race across the World

D'wards

IT'S YOUR DECISION DANIEL
I know it's discussed in the iplayer thread, but i felt it's appropriate to break out into it's own thread as there's a few of us that love it there, and easier to follow the conversation in one thread.

My faves are Cath and Trisha. Just a real get up and go attitude, no bitching or moaning. I hope they win.

Least fave us the straight brother- he's definitely going to ruin it for both of them with his negativity.

I wanted to see what that guy's trailer was like last night- zeinab was up for it, and why not?

If we’re having a separate thread (and I agree it’s worth it) then I’ll repeat my comment from the other thread:

I think you’re a bit harsh on straight bro. His attitude combined with a passing mention last week that he’d just moved back in with his mum makes me think he is actually clinically depressed or that something shit has happened to him.

Looks like you can hire a car after all.

Wonder why they don't team up and two teams hire one car between them

Maybe that's not allowed either

I read a news article that some viewers are unsatisfied with this series.
It's all too comfortable and they all just get lifts everywhere

Past series was more 28 hours on a hot packed bus with stiff seats and no AC, the inside of the bus stinking of diesel fumes.

Viewers want suffering!

I read a news article that some viewers are unsatisfied with this series.
It's all too comfortable and they all just get lifts everywhere

Past series was more 28 hours on a hot packed bus with stiff seats and no AC, the inside of the bus stinking of diesel fumes.

Viewers want suffering!
One pair spent thousands of kilometres travelling with Christian preachers! How much more suffering do the public want?

If we’re having a separate thread (and I agree it’s worth it) then I’ll repeat my comment from the other thread:

I think you’re a bit harsh on straight bro. His attitude combined with a passing mention last week that he’d just moved back in with his mum makes me think he is actually clinically depressed or that something shit has happened to him.
having seen the last episode - I would now like to withdraw this comment and say maybe he was just a boring bastard.

Last edited:
I really liked the previous series. This one is ok, but agree it doesn't have the thrill of changing your money to local currency before the bus goes, different feasible transport routes to decide the best one, trying to communicate across multiple language barriers, quickly traversing changing cultures and sensitive political areas.

So far this time it's really been only one or one obvious route + one silly route to checkpoints, with no public transport between them so just sitting around waiting to hitch lift. Endless scenery of forests and lakes. Maybe it will change as they move across but I'm thinking not that much.

Plus it's Canada - some teams have already proven that with the right attitude and a smile, you can talk Canadians into driving you hundreds of km just for the sheer hell of it. I know I'd stop and give a lift to someone with their own camera crew.

Next series won't be so hampered by covid restrictions, so should be better. Having the whole thing in one country simplified a lot of things in terms of covid passports and whatnot, so I can see why they did it.

Can't tell if the next stop (after Churchill - it has to be Churchill, there's bugger all else out there) is Sault Ste. Marie itself, or Manitoulin Island somewhere. Then definitely looks like Quebec City, possibly Lunenburg and then St. John's.

Last edited:
but agree it doesn't have the thrill of changing your money to local currency before the bus goes, different feasible transport routes to decide the best one, trying to communicate across multiple language barriers, quickly traversing changing cultures and sensitive political areas.
That’s all true, but I’m still enjoying it.

I'm enjoying it too. Have the previous series included eliminations? Not sure if I'm fully caught up but the last episode we watched was the first where the last couple to reach the checkpoint were sent home.... seemed unnecessary to me and a real shame for those two that they wouldn't get to experience the full journey.

I'm enjoying it too. Have the previous series included eliminations? Not sure if I'm fully caught up but the last episode we watched was the first where the last couple to reach the checkpoint were sent home.... seemed unnecessary to me and a real shame for those two that they wouldn't get to experience the full journey.
There were eliminations iirc. At least in s2

I had a chat with the blonde sister from s2 on Instagram at the time.
I asked what they were allowed to take with them entertainment wise. She said they could take books to read and simple mp3 players

Yeah, there were eliminations n both previous series'. Seems a bit cruel, but it is a race I guess

What else would be good routes where there isn't a real risk of murder and kidnap?
Middle East might be out of the question.

What about China and Russia?

They've already been through China in S1 and it was a bit murky because they wouldn't let them film in certain areas (sealed train mentioned above). I can't see Russia any time in the next 5 years or so.
They've said they've avoided Africa thus far because there are too many dangerous areas, but where else are they going to go?

They only eliminate one couple. Allows them to focus on who works out best on camera.

Maybe a boat version down the Pacific nations. Start in Japan, checkpoints in Taiwan, Indonesia, Guam, Micronesia, Tonga, Papua new guinea, ends in Bluff

I don’t remember eliminations in previous series. People left both times I think, but I don’t recall anyone being kicked out.

I don’t remember eliminations in previous series. People left both times I think, but I don’t recall anyone being kicked out.
Sue & Clare were eliminated in S1, Azerbaijan leg.

You are right about S2 tho, Jen & Rob left when they had half their money nicked and Jo & Sam ran out of money at an Argentinian ranch.

Why did none of them appear to ask about through buses? Weirdo's.

Glad to see the daughters having a chat and moaning about their dads. I note the dads did to do likewise. And obvs it was Zeinab who took the bull by the horns and went the fun route, looked ar more interesting place to pass through.

Down to Sault Ste Marie next and then it's onto nice easy short legs. For those who aint skint.

Sue & Clare were eliminated in S1, Azerbaijan leg.

You are right about S2 tho, Jen & Rob left when they had half their money nicked and Jo & Sam ran out of money at an Argentinian ranch.
They would have dropped a team at the third checkpoint, but it wasn't necessary due to the theft. I remember that as particularly heartbreaking. I think if they hadn't been wanting to drop a team next week anyhow they might have bailed them out.

Applications open for series 4

Still enjoying this - though there seems to be quite a few stretches where there's only one option available - so they all end up on the same bus/train...

Still enjoying this - though there seems to be quite a few stretches where there's only one option available - so they all end up on the same bus/train...
I figured that would happen in the less populated parts of the country. South America offered a lot of options, but if you remember the first series there was a lot of that too. They were all of them stuck on a ferry in the Caspian Sea for nearly a week! :D

They're moving into the more populated part of Canada, things will inevitably vary a bit more now - the route doesn't include Toronto, but they've already shown shots of it and Niagara Falls. If you wanted direct to QC from Manitoulin, you'd go cross country via the Trans-Canada Highway to Ottawa and skip the 8 million people in the south of Ontario.

Back
Top Bottom