Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

question about plasterers

Asbestos is included in small amounts so a decent sealant will prevent fibres from escaping. Take your time finding a tradesperson you have confidence in and get an estimate beforehand. Worth waiting a few weeks...and if you are able to be flexible regarding the timing of the work - you may find a plasterer can squeeze in the few hours needed for your ceiling, especially if they are already working in the area.

If the ceilings bust in part they could just overboard then skim. Adds 20-30 quid on for plasterboard and an extra hour or two.

Is anybody's house completely square? Mine was all over the fucking place but it was Victorian. Perhaps new houses are all straight and square. I dunno.

Is anybody's house completely square? Mine was all over the fucking place but it was Victorian. Perhaps new houses are all straight and square. I dunno.
Nope. I think there are none such.
I have lived in older houses that have been wonderfully odd.
I now live in a completely new-built block of flats in which one of my kitchen windows, size of a door, being open, refuses ever to move again. Well, I think "boo hoo no problem", happy enough. Fresh air is good.

Do you live in leasehold flats, they are really stressful. i need a new velux in the kitchen I need a whole new kitchen. Three tiles fell off yesterday, I stuck them on with evo stick, it said tiles on the container, will grout them on saturday when the grouting float comes.

Do you live in leasehold flats, they are really stressful. i need a new velux in the kitchen I need a whole new kitchen. Three tiles fell off yesterday, I stuck them on with evo stick, it said tiles on the container, will grout them on saturday when the grouting float comes.
No, fair enough. I only rent my flat.

BUT I do think you are giving yourself a lot of stress that you simply do not need to have.

Calm, slow, calm, breathe. None of this is a serious problem. Really, it is not.

Now how can you need a whole new kitchen? Because a couple of ceiling tiles fell down?

No, fair enough. I only rent my flat.

BUT I do think you are giving yourself a lot of stress that you simply do not need to have.

Calm, slow, calm, breathe. None of this is a serious problem. Really, it is not.

Now how can you need a whole new kitchen? Because a couple of ceiling tiles fell down?
blown plaster all over the place. Velux needs replacing. Ceiling busted. Dunno if joist has dropped or something. Cupbpard dooor fallen off, cant fix it back on cos formica has a big hole ripped in it. ITs beige adn green seventies nightmare in this flat. Bathroom has duck tape where tiles fell off chipboard laid by cowbody builder. Coebowy builder also buit shower with no spacers in the tiles. Tiles are all wonky grout fallen out. I posted a thread a while back about the plumbing in the bathroom. Lease breached extensively, in my demise and out of my demise. Rot problem being ignored by housing association landlords, trying to palm off velux window on to me that old owner badly installed directly into roof, leaks every time it rains, two words for this flat, trainwreck, and clusterfuck.

Yeah. I've a very close friend who is a brickie. It was his experience I was going by, and the only time I've ever known him break £100/day was as a foreman.
In most trades there's a difference between what you'd get paid if you're employed by someone else or as a self employed tradesperson contracted on a big site, and what you'd charge a client for a small job. Small domestic jobs would usually cost more, simply because there's overheads to cover (travel etc) and its hours or days at a time rather than weeks or months so less of a steady income. I'd be surprised if a skilled brick layer was charging domestic clients as little as £80 a day, unless things are very different in that there London than i'm used to here.

My flat is housing association rented, so its not really my concern. But its a weird 1920s build with 1960s and 1980s renovations though. Every tradesperson who's been here - whether from the housing association or carpet fitters etc i've paid, and everyone who's helped me with diy, has laughed loudly at the fact there's not a single right angle, level surface, or straight line in the entire flat!

In most trades there's a difference between what you'd get paid if you're employed by someone else or as a self employed tradesperson contracted on a big site, and what you'd charge a client for a small job. Small domestic jobs would usually cost more, simply because there's overheads to cover (travel etc) and its hours or days at a time rather than weeks or months so less of a steady income. I'd be surprised if a skilled brick layer was charging domestic clients as little as £80 a day, unless things are very different in that there London than i'm used to here.
Cash in hand, if that makes a difference, but there's a lot of people chasing a finite number of jobs.

I know a good plasterer. He lives in his vehicle when he's working, so he'll be happy to travel to you.

He's good, and reasonably priced. He also has a good appreciation of what it's like to be skint, so he won't over charge you (in fact I sometimes jokingly tell him off for undercharging, but he doesn't like asking skint people for lots of money), and I'm sure he'd be happy to work out a way to do any work in chunks, to make it more affordable.

He also knows tons about other general building work, and I'm sure would be able to put your mind at ease over anything you were worried about.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This house in which I live has a number of ceilings that need replastering, cracks, stains, dips etc. At some point I'll sort it out (and bear in mind the lead time to get a good plasterer) but from a day to day point of view I never think of the ceilings. I rarely look at them. If having a better looking ceiling reaches the top of my todo list then I'll find something more fun to do. For that reason it's never going to reach the top of my todo list. For that reason I give them no thought.

This house in which I live has a number of ceilings that need replastering, cracks, stains, dips etc. At some point I'll sort it out (and bear in mind the lead time to get a good plasterer) but from a day to day point of view I never think of the ceilings. I rarely look at them. If having a better looking ceiling reaches the top of my todo list then I'll find something more fun to do. For that reason it's never going to reach the top of my todo list. For that reason I give them no thought.

That's reassuring.

Back
Top Bottom