Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Queens 'under new management' (archive thread)

So are both the Queen and the Dogstar Punch Tavern franchises then?

And as such can anyone assure me that neither has any connection atall with the Merretts?

Still sounds like it's gonna be posh and bland.

Originally posted by Pie 1
So what's with the EDT connection? Anna Key got that info from a notice on the Queen, yes:confused:
No. The Editor said: "The sign on the pub says it's now managed by a company called something like ' Antic Limited'"

I did a company search on that compay name and got:

"Name & Registered Office :
ANTIC LIMITED
1 LORDSHIP LANE
EAST DULWICH
LONDON
SE22 8EW

Company No. :03902705
Date of Incorporation : 05/01/2000
Country of Origin : United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature Of Business (SIC(92)): 5540 - Bars

Accounting Reference Date : 30/04
Last Accounts Made Up To : 30/04/2002 (SMALL)
Next Accounts Due : 29/02/2004
Last Return Made Up To : 05/01/2003
Next Return Due : 02/02/2004
Last Members List : 05/01/2003"

Now another company (TBCA Ltd) with the same registered office address wants to build a gated security estate, carefully avoiding any social housing provision by only building in blocks of 14 units at 14-20 Tulse Hill. See here.

I prefer the old boys at The Queen RIP. A better class of people.

Where will all the regulars go now? There is nowhere else besides the beehive or goose really is there?

unbelieveable

I can't believe there is a connection between Antic (the people refurbsihing the Queen) and the people building the gated develoment on Tulse Hill. What are they like? Is it their mission to rinse the Brixton area of everything it has to offer property-wise?

Obviously I will reserve judgement until I see the refurbished pub, but it all sounds fcuking dodgy to me.

Years ago in Brixton it didn't matter who you were, we were all in it together. It was the outside world's attitudes that were negative to Brixton, but we knew it was great so fuck them.

A town of marginals, political dissenters, artists and, worst of all for middle England, lots of black people live there! :rolleyes:

Now, unless you're successful and conventional you can piss off.
It's the same in Hackney.

The latest thing is to brand Brixton a "cultural quarter". While I prefer this to simply promoting it as another crappy shopping centre, I can't help feeling that signs going up pointing to a "cultural quarter" only go up when all the artists and marginals have long since been kicked out by "concept dining spaces" and "luxury apartments" in "vibrant" Brixton.

I agree with Epona's post about gentrification rubbing people's noses in their poverty and exclusion.

:(

I'm still gutted about the Queen but the fact of the matter is it was barely breaking even. Yah boo sucks to gentrification and all that, but how would you suggest these places should be funded? Lottery money?

"Yaa boo sucks to gentrification and all that"

I can't really talk to prats who talk like that. Sorry.

2 posts and already pissing me off. :p

funding

"but how would you suggest these places should be funded"

For a business (esp a pub in Brixton) to succeed, I'd say the first rule is to attract and engage the local community. Create loyal customers who feel comfortable in your surroundings. Be friendly. Charge reasonable prices. Be nice to the neighbours. Play good music. It's not rocket science. Owners will need to work hard and will sometimes need to be a bit creative at getting the punters in, but the business is there.

The other tack is to market yourself as a place for the hip and trendy and try to attract wealthier people from inside and outside the area. This is fine while you are flavour of the month, but when the next new bar opens and the crowds flock elsewhere, you're fcuked. You have no loyal customers. Then the place closes down and the process starts again.

In fact, it's not just a question of how to "fund" a pub, it is gentrification itself that is responsible for many businesses closing down - new businesses take customers away, rents spiral upwards etc etc.

murray

I think Hatboy is saying that this (Brixton forum) is not the place the belittle the effects of gentrification!

welcome by the way

unbelieveable

Originally posted by Brixton Hatter
I can't believe there is a connection between Antic (the people refurbsihing the Queen) and the people building the gated develoment on Tulse Hill. What are they like? Is it their mission to rinse the Brixton area of everything it has to offer property-wise?
Obviously I will reserve judgement until I see the refurbished pub, but it all sounds fcuking dodgy to me.
Thank god there are people keeping their eyes and ears open and asking 'awkward' questions. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes, I may be judgmental/prejudiced/jumping the gun and whatever else I've been accused of, but I really can't see myself having much time for an establishment run by a firm that is building gated communities for the uber rich.

Argue all you like about whether or not all white/middle class people are really gentrifying yuppies, but I think a lot of people are agreed that the building of gated developments really is the worst, most blatantly elitist, divisive, damaging and intolerable aspect of gentrification. Even the bleedin' Merretts aren't doing that. :eek:

Mmmmm, welcoming. I'm also pissed off at the onward march of Clapham but 90% of the time the Queen was empty.

Originally posted by murray
I'm still gutted about the Queen but the fact of the matter is it was barely breaking even.
I suspect it may have had more to do with the sickeningly vicious attack that nearly killed the landlord at the start of this year. My feeling is that he had had enough and wanted to get out. And who can blame him? There had also been a good deal of constabulary attention in the previous months.

It's all fucking depressing. :(

PS Welcome, Murray :) ;) :cool:

Murray, no, since when? At what time of day/night?

<edited to add: yeah it would be since what IntoStella describes, I'm thinking of before all of that>

I've had some fantastic, warm-hearted Brixton nights in there in the past with all the ASBO's waiting to happen.

Where can people deemed anti-social but those with very narrow measures of what is anti-social, go now?

The Goose? The Beehive? The second one isn't a bad pub, it's cheap for one, but the look of it is very pub-in-a-kit. Guess people at the bottom can only have the places nobody else wants or nothing atall.

The Queen is a major loss. I loved the place and had loads of great nights there. I was just questioning the attitude that seems to suggest that these places should be run as a public service. There are still enough places to go to in Brixton without having to resort to Living, etc.

Hmm, but nobody's said that, have they? Nobody's denied that the place has to be able to earn its keep. But just because a given concern isn't doing that doesn't mean it can't, does it?

The Queen is a major loss. I loved the place and had loads of great nights there. I was just questioning the attitude that seems to suggest that these places should be run as a public service. There are still enough places to go to in Brixton without having to resort to Living, etc.

Still places? Don't blink. :)

No, nothing should be a public service! Everything should be upmarket and exclusive. People who are poor are worthless, deserve zero facilities and should be forcibly ejected from our new urban oases of cool. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

Seriously, a pub doesn't have to be a public service to work with, not against, a varied, local clientelle.

Watch out The Queens new management. You might get your windows bricked*!

*Not a threat, an observation. I've seen it at Dogstar and Living.

Response to Justin: Maybe, but the changes required to make it earn its keep will render the Queen a very different and worse place.

I can see the point Murray is making though.

As you say Justin the Queen wasn't earning it's keep, there was no reason why it couldn't, but it didn't. Perhaps it's because what IS though, about the attack.

I never got the feeling that it was trying to increase business. We always walk past it on the way to the Beehive.

There is a lot of gnashing of teeth about the queen closing but how often did the people who are mourning it's closure drink in there?

"There is a lot of gnashing of teeth about the queen closing but how often did the people who are mourning it's closure drink in there?"

Weekly up till last year (cut back drinking in general). But it's not just about me is it? It's the whole thing as I said.

I agree with what your saying.

I can't complain about it's loss though, because I didn't drink there enough. In fact I even feel a bit guilty because I'd only go in there for a late one, which probably contributed to it's downfall.

"There is a lot of gnashing of teeth about the queen closing but how often did the people who are mourning it's closure drink in there?"

A few times a week. Its lack of effort to drum up business was part of the attraction. It was rare to be able to sit in a puc these days without feeling you're being marketed at. Making the place profitable i.e. pushing up prices and really selling the place would have made it a very different beast.

Yeah, I'll stop now. It's just mates go on about it too and people are pissed-off with all this stuff.

It's often these pissed-off people who have no place to take their opinions so I like to do a bit of random ranting about it sometimes for me and for others. :)

Making the place profitable i.e. pushing up prices and really selling the place would have made it a very different beast.
Do you really need to do that though? Pubs haven't, taditionally, been packed out all the time. Naturally you'll make more money if you are, but ther's no reason to think that pubs have to do that. The Elm Park Tavern round my way, for instance, seems to manage. Now for all I know it'll close down tomorrow, but tomorrow is yet to come...

It better not do, Justin, I'm moving to Elm Park and I like that boozer!
(Are you allowed to hurdle the blackboard in the corner door?)

Back to it, peeps, my opinion, The Queen is a quality boozer that I frequented occasionally but not enough

Do you really need to do that though?

From my experience it depends.

My parents friends had a pub in Cork and had no mortgage and the family used to run it and live over it. Their overheads were small so they were able to cruise along weather it was busy or not.

2 friends of mine opened a pub (in Cork again) but their loan and staff costs are killing them. He has to work constantly to keep the punters comming in. He's 2 quiet months from closure.

"2 friends of mine opened a pub (in Cork again) but their loan and staff costs are killing them. He has to work constantly to keep the punters comming in. He's 2 quiet months from closure."

It's greed all the way up. Good landlords and shopkeepers just can't compete with the rents and overheads chains can take on. I know we know all this, but I'm sick of it. I don't want to be a completely anaesthetised minion in the machine.

I'm not ready for 1984 yet!

Originally posted by hatboy
It's greed all the way up. Good landlords and shopkeepers just can't compete with the rents and overheads chains can take on. I know we know all this, but I'm sick of it. I don't want to be a completely anaesthetised minion in the machine.

I'm not ready for 1984 yet!
Well said! As for Anna Key, he's still trying to get himself ready for 1948! :D

So what can we do??? I am increasinlgy thinking it would be a good idea to produce some sort of concise newsletter about all these developments that people are so pissed off about and distribute it in the areas where these things are happening. Get people talking to each other. Even get people coming on to u75. Put out the message 'You are not alone. You are not powerless.' Try to get more people involved in the consultation process. Do a web version as well, of course. Knowledge is power and all that.

Back
Top Bottom