Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Quail's egg starter

RubyToogood

RubyTwobikes
I bought some quail's eggs to make a starter for Easter lunch, and am now not quite sure what to do with them. I also bought some lovely coppa ham (like prosciutto), with the vague idea of doing a sort of ham and eggs theme, but just ham and eggs seems a bit uninspiring. Also the ham may not survive till Sunday :oops:

Any ideas? It needs to be something I can just take with me and assemble there without extra cooking. Current idea is just to do them boiled, in a sort of nest of salad leaves, with salsa prezzemolo over the top (this is lots of parsley, garlic, anchovies, lemon juice and olive oil whizzed up together, very herby and springlike).

Also cooking tips etc very welcome as I haven't had them in years.

Quails eggs are traditionally served plain with celery salt to dip them in. However, I have made mini Scotch eggs with them :) It's a bit of a faff but people love them.

Mrs P recently poached some for a starter and served with tiny rashers of maple bacon, a grilled cherry tom and button mushroom each, and some tiny rounds of white pudding. But that wouldn't work for portability.

why not do a mini 'full' english breakfast? Serve the eggs on mini toast with the ham as mini bacon sandwiches, bite sized of course. Serve them as aperitif finger food. Should be fun and amusing.

Alternatively keep it really simple and boil them and serve with a little celery or garlic salt.

Mrs P recently poached some for a starter and served with tiny rashers of maple bacon, a grilled cherry tom and button mushroom each, and some tiny rounds of white pudding. But that wouldn't work for portability.

why not do a mini 'full' english breakfast? Serve the eggs on mini toast with the ham as mini bacon sandwiches, bite sized of course. Serve them as aperitif finger food. Should be fun and amusing.

Alternatively keep it really simple and boil them and serve with a little celery or garlic salt.

Damn my slow typing!

Back
Top Bottom