Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Quadrophenia - the film

And Saturday Night Fever is clearly advertised on the brighton cinema hording as the mods go on the rampage.

There's an intercity train too.....

continuity was pretty poor...but the film was always more about attitude than accuracy.

Doing the maths.

If Jimmy was 17 in 1964. He would be 63 now. Probably became a skinhead in the late 1960s. Was in the NF for a while in the late 1970s when he was about 30. Don't know what happened to him after that.

Doing the maths.

If Jimmy was 17 in 1964. He would be 63 now. Probably became a skinhead in the late 1960s. Was in the NF for a while in the late 1970s when he was about 30. Don't know what happened to him after that.

Linda and the kids happened ok...can he have a happy bloody ending.

I worked in a fucking warehouse in bloody Neesden......probably packing peanuts of polo mints....

He did what he was told, got pissed up in the evenings, and got made redundent on his 59th Birthday, at which point he slashed his wrists infront of Linda at their eldest daughters wedding to some div called Giles who worked in a bank in Finchley.

I worked in a fucking warehouse in bloody Neesden......probably packing peanuts of polo mints....

He did what he was told, got pissed up in the evenings, and got made redundent on his 59th Birthday, at which point he slashed his wrists infront of Linda at their eldest daughters wedding to some div called Giles who worked in a bank in Finchley.

At least you've got him marrying Linda...I call that progress...and more than one daughter....I will give you the warehouse and Giles....but not the mode of topping himself...if he was....and that's a long shot if....it'd be right over the edge of the cliff in a Ford Anglia.

Despite the odd errors it's still the benchmark yoof culture film for me and part of the reason every film about football violence will fail miserably.

I watched it non-stop when I was younger and my son is bang into it just now, watched my old vhs to death before getting the dvd for Xmas.

Really wish I had my old American Parka, bowling shoes and 3 button suit to give him. Me and my mate spent a fair few days in Scarborough having the piss taken out of us by what by then were scooterists, msut ask my Mum if she has any photos. Never had a scooter meself, my mate brought his brand new Vespa 50 round the day he got it. He let me have ago and I crashed it:eek::oops:

Interesting article on the making of the film. Thank fuck Johnny Rotten didn't end up in the lead role!

3504.jpg

Phil Daniels, played Jimmy:
Roddam had us hang out for a month before filming started. He encouraged the depraved side of our nature – he was not one for tucking us into bed at night. We wore authentic clothes and were given lessons in how to dance and ride a scooter – and we got to hang out with some original mods. We were living it, doing all sorts of stuff to get us into the mood. That’s why it looks like we aren’t acting.

Leslie Ash, played Steph
They’d asked scooter clubs and mods from all over the country to come down for the Brighton part of filming. The moment we walked out of the hotel to start shooting, we saw all these scooters and hordes of mods lined up against the seafront. It was amazing. Filming the riot sequences was really scary. It was supposed to be staged but it was chaos, with police and members of the public getting involved. It was like a real riot – health and safety didn’t come into it at the time. When Franc shouted “Action!” everyone started running. They made sure Phil and I were at the front so that we didn’t get trampled on, but it was so frightening. I actually got knocked to the floor.

Interesting article on the making of the film. Thank fuck Johnny Rotten didn't end up in the lead role!

3504.jpg

Have watched Quadrophenia a couple of times in the last few years (it's one of my all-time favourite films).

Saw it late at night with my brother-in-law, who is an old scooter-boy - he pointed out one of his mates who was an extra!

Saw it a while ago with my OH. We ended up wondering, if there was ever a remake (heaven forbid), who could play Jimmy. Probably have to be an unknown as there seem to be so few well-known working-class actors now, unlike in the 70s.

This is defo in my top ten. I think it really captures life as a working class youth in London better than any other film.

I listen to the album (not the soundtrack) all the time too - The Who at their finest.

My colleagues aunt played Jimmy's mum

reading through this thread it surprises me that people questioning how it ended didnt notice that the very first shot of the film is jimmy walking away from the cliff.
When the scooter goes over the cliff you can see the shadow of a helicopter and a reflection of lighting and film crew on the scooter.
Once you have seen the continuity errors you can't under them.
There is also an intercity 125 seen from Jimmy's window in the first half of the film.

Still one of my fave films...

Definitely not a sequel but 'loosely related'...To Be Someone, is coming out this year with some of the original cast and characters. From what I've read of the book it's based on it follows Jimmy up to the 90s as he goes in and out of custody.

Directed by Ray Burdis who played stewpot in Grange hill.

6b72f53e4ada6c17e03bc8b1dfc75a99.jpg

I wouldn't expect much.

Is it by the Who. Has it got any of the Who's music; it can never ever be anything to do with Quadrophenia.

Quadrophenia is brilliant. A lot of the comments from that article also mention Scum as the two films shared a few actors.
I saw both and enjoyed Quadrophenia for that glimpse into Mod Culture of the 60s. Scum was just brutal but still a great film.

A lot is mentioned also of the timeline errors like Saturday Night Fever showing up as the film on show at the Cinema and someone in a Motorhead t-shirt .It was very low budget so I reckon they weren't that fussed on accuracy.
The Mod Revival that came about that time was naff but I did buy The Pleasers version of The Kids Are Alright and i still say "watch the cloth moth" :D

The line that always makes me laugh, cos it's what people say in real life, not in scripted films;

When they go and see Ferdy and the old guy says "Him not here".

When Jimmy goes back to the others he says "Stitching me up an all. The bloke. Fucking..."

They were released around the same time. I saw them both first time on a double bill.

We went to see Ray Winston's follow up film, That Summer, which was a bit of a let down.
The soundtrack album is superb however if you liked early Stiff Records artists and New Wave.

We went to see Ray Winston's follow up film, That Summer, which was a bit of a let down.
The soundtrack album is superb however if you liked early Stiff Records artists and New Wave.
Dear old Ray turns up in loads of old stuff. I'm watching the old Auf Weidersehn Pets and he turns up in that. Minder and The Sweeney.
In fact, and go with me on this, it could be argued he is on the Michael Elphick lineage.

£2 million is at the lower end of a budget for a British film of the late 70s but not so low that they couldn't have changed the Motorhead T-shirts on a rocker in a film which takes place in 1964.

Last edited:
Life of Brian was £4m and Scum only 250k. It’s not Hollywood level obviously, but it sure ain’t very low budget at all.

I think it might have cost a load more to get things precise. A lot of the rioting scene took place on a normal day, a few people going about their business got sucked in. Maybe Mr Motorhead too, even though he was enjoying a scrap on the beach.

Life of Brian was £4m and Scum only 250k. It’s not Hollywood level obviously, but it sure ain’t very low budget at all.
Quadrophenia is at the low end of an average budget for a mainstream British film of the late 70s, which (not counting more expensive US co-productions) would have been between 2 and 5 million. It being a period film shot on location, money would have been tight.

Due to its controversial subject matter Scum was a British independent film, financed by a production company behind z-grade exploitation and avant garde films. It's not representative of average budgets for British mainstream films at the time and was closer to "no-budget" than low budget.

Back
Top Bottom