Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Quadrophenia - the film

What happened? At the end? I mean - where is he? Where's he going? What did he decide?

He has discarded his need to belong to a shallow and hopeless youth culture (Modernism)....destroyed the symbol of belonging (scooter)....to reside alone, upon the cliff, looking out across the sea (freedom)....:(

He destroyed what he could no longer identify with (scooter/mod)....and the rest of his life would be on his own terms, not dictated by others who hold the capacity to disappoint.

Well.......bet it wasn't really.

no...I'd like to think it was...I want him to have realised his dreams....not that he knew what they were....I suspose I just wanted him to be happy...poor git... Phil Daniels has one of them faces that always looks cold...not cold/hard, but cold bbbbrrrrr.

Think I might contact them tomorrow and whinge about this.

There is a very nice version available.

The version they used to show was 80 mins long with no swearing at all.

Very odd to watch....and what I saw first in the early 80s.

Odd to think this was a film considered to be a threat to UK youth upon its release.

I was born in 71 and it was on my radar from 79/80 and I probably saw the full version in 84/85........

...being a mini mod it certailnly informed my dress sense...

alll my Skinhead friends informed my sense of violence!

no...I'd like to think it was...I want him to have realised his dreams....not that he knew what they were....I suspose I just wanted him to be happy...poor git... Phil Daniels has one of them faces that always looks cold...not cold/hard, but cold bbbbrrrrr.

Jimmy doesn't get away with it......on record that bestial wail is his end.

On film we are given some hope that he escapes...but to become what?

His dad? Get a job? Get a family?

They show him realising what he hates....they don't show him finding what's beyond that.

Jimmy doesn't get away with it......on record that bestial wail is his end.

On film we are given some hope that he escapes...but to become what?

His dad? Get a job? Get a family?

They show him realising what he hates....they don't show him finding what's beyond that.

I know...but in my head it continues until his first born is learning to ride on a Triang tricycle and Jimmy's adoring wife Linda is dishing up the crinkle cut chips on a friday night....let me dream :hmm:

Too late...you can't make me have a sad ending....Lindas already spooning out the Birds Eye trifle she made from a box....only that very morning...after taking little Jimmy to nursery.:cool:

No.

At 14 I already had Jimmy pinned at as a lonely waster sat in the pub telling people of the one shag he had in a Brighton alley with a beautiful young girl.

No.

At 14 I already had Jimmy pinned at as a lonely waster sat in the pub telling people of the one shag he had in a Brighton alley with a beautiful young girl.

That's because you were an angsty 14 year old boy with button badges on your lapels and the price of a Top Deck lemonade shandy and ten Sovereign in your pocket...of course Jimmy failed....prospects were something other people had....

But with the luxury of age and the acquired knowledge that life can sometimes be unexpectedly fucking excellent....there must be a small corner of your parka'd up heart that wishes a Linda would be poised under the flying ducks , looking adoringly as her Jimmy manfully opens a bottle of babycham and cranks up the stereogram for another cosy night in....kids sleeping upstairs...they've had another one by now....

Jimmy had a future....with possibilities and whats and ifs...you can't take that away from him...no one can...he caned his bike ffs...he meant business.....and if he was really lucky, he'd one day discover the inner peace only afforded by a full body massage by a Peruvian tribesman wearing a winter wooly and humming to....well you know the rest...

Great Film.

I saw it when I was 14 at Colcherster Odeon all done up in my mod finery.

It was a double bill with Scum.

Still getting over it.

Fuck me films were violent, harsh and amoral in the good old days!

quadrophenia is parhaps my fav film ever :cool:

and last week i got a dvd out called 'freebird' had phill daniels init as an aging tripper....quite a good movie, british biker comedy with twists and turns and great tripping scenes. reccomend it.

Read somewhere some of the cast used to sing that Jilted John song "Gordon is a moron" just to annoy Sting on set :D,in some of the street scenes you can spot late '70s motors as well

And Saturday Night Fever is clearly advertised on the brighton cinema hording as the mods go on the rampage.

Back
Top Bottom