Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

putting vegetable oil in my diesel car... bad idea?

stereoisomer

tits and quiche
I've heard you can get away with putting some used frying vegetable oil in your diesel engine if it's properly filtered to remove any bits of chips, but it makes it harder for the engine to start when it's cold. My car has enough trouble starting anyway, so I'd probably better not do this right?

I know it's also technically illegal but really who gives a toss.

The pros and cons of using vegetable oil as a fuel
Pros:
  1. Environmentally friendly.
  2. Waste oil is cheaper.
  3. Smoother engine running - no 'knock'.
  4. Better lubrication.
  5. Less reliance on petro-chemicals.
  6. Enhanced street credibility.
Cons:
  1. May cause engine coking if misused.
  2. May invalidate vehicle warrantee.
  3. Exhaust smells of chips (unless cat. converter fitted).
  4. Have to pay tax to customs and excise
  5. Harder to start the engine in the morning
  6. Will destroy some injector pumps
  7. Only useful in older vehicles.

The pros and cons of using vegetable oil as a fuel
Pros:
  1. Environmentally friendly.
  2. Waste oil is cheaper.
  3. Smoother engine running - no 'knock'.
  4. Better lubrication.
  5. Less reliance on petro-chemicals.
  6. Enhanced street credibility.
Cons:
  1. May cause engine coking if misused.
  2. May invalidate vehicle warrantee.
  3. Exhaust smells of chips (unless cat. converter fitted).
  4. Have to pay tax to customs and excise
  5. Harder to start the engine in the morning
  6. Will destroy some injector pumps
  7. Only useful in older vehicles.
Ok. My car is a 1996 Peugeot 106, it's only going to last for a few more months anyway because it will fail its next MOT and it's not worth fixing. What worries me is the engine struggles to start when it's cold already, will having a bit of vegetable oil mixed in with the diesel make it not start at all? I have invested in a jump starter because the battery is a bit shit and it's not worth getting a new one. The car is going to be scrapped in February anyway.
How can I find out whether it will destroy my injector pump?

I've heard you can get away with putting some used frying vegetable oil in your diesel engine if it's properly filtered to remove any bits of chips, but it makes it harder for the engine to start when it's cold. My car has enough trouble starting anyway, so I'd probably better not do this right?

I know it's also technically illegal but really who gives a toss.
Filippo-Berio-Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil_475.jpg

Ok. My car is a 1996 Peugeot 106, it's only going to last for a few more months anyway because it will fail its next MOT and it's not worth fixing. What worries me is the engine struggles to start when it's cold already, will having a bit of vegetable oil mixed in with the diesel make it not start at all? I have invested in a jump starter because the battery is a bit shit and it's not worth getting a new one. The car is going to be scrapped in February anyway.
How can I find out whether it will destroy my injector pump?

Well if it's fucked anyway and it's not worth fixing then I reckon just do it anyway. Or don't. Or google it.

Some find they need regular diesel to start the engine but they can then run on vegetable oil after that. I have heard reports of cylinder heads needing regular cleaning though.

Used to run my cab on it with good results.I followed the advice of mixing it 1/3 oil with 2/3 diesel and be prepared for a few mornings of aggro when it gets really cold.Other than that it was ok.

Back
Top Bottom