Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pub recommendation between Bank and Aldgate East

what

Meeting a friend I havent seen for a very long time on Thursday (yep I know its the new Friday), any recommendations for somewhere which might not be to busy?

Most boozers around there will be quite lively until about 8pm/9pm, when most people have gone to catch their trains.

I'd second The Pride, but also try The Counting House on Cornhill. Lovely old Fullers pub in a converted banking hall. It'll be reasonably busy but it's big so you'll get a seat. The Hoop and Grapes, up on Aldgate itself is a nice little traditional place.

You could comfortably do all three in a couple of hours.

The Golden Heart is my personal favorite too. I couldn't promise it wouldn't be busy on a Thursday night but TBH anywhere between Bank and Aldgate East is tricky to not be busy on a Thursday night. But check it out, there's two bars and the vibe is always good. There's also some Tracey Emin art on the walls if you look around, and if you're lucky you'll even see Gilbert & George, or the original OG landlady Sandra.

Alternatively, there always the Ten Bells a few doors down, and if you venture a little towards Middlesex St there is The Bell, The Astronomer, Kings Stores. It's easy enough to find a pub around there

Most boozers around there will be quite lively until about 8pm/9pm, when most people have gone to catch their trains.

I'd second The Pride, but also try The Counting House on Cornhill. Lovely old Fullers pub in a converted banking hall. It'll be reasonably busy but it's big so you'll get a seat. The Hoop and Grapes, up on Aldgate itself is a nice little traditional place.

You could comfortably do all three in a couple of hours.
Looks good cheers

We always go to the Old Tea Warehouse. Like all City pubs, it isn’t the best but at least it has a pretty good selection of ales

The Counting House is indeed fine. As is The Ship.

The Golden Heart is my personal favorite too. I couldn't promise it wouldn't be busy on a Thursday night but TBH anywhere between Bank and Aldgate East is tricky to not be busy on a Thursday night. But check it out, there's two bars and the vibe is always good.

Alternatively, there always the Ten Bells a few doors down, and if you venture a little towards Middlesex St there is The Bell, The Astronomer, Kings Stores.

Nearer to Aldgate East is Leman St and I love the Leman St Tavern.
Fantastic I'm now getting a good list together

I'm not personally a fan of the Golden Heart, the atmosphere really doesn't do it for me, but I like an old school boozer. Eye wateringly expensive as well. The commercial tavern is decent if you're up that way but they're all a bit soulless by nature of where you are imo.

I'm not personally a fan of the Golden Heart, the atmosphere really doesn't do it for me, but I like an old school boozer. Eye wateringly expensive as well. The commercial tavern is decent if you're up that way but they're all a bit soulless by nature of where you are imo.
Tbf I’ve maybe been once in the last decade. Back in the day though people would be dancing on the tables to Frank Sinatra after lock in. The atmosphere could be incomparable.

As for The Pride, it can be quiet especially a Sunday morning but on a week night, particularly in the summer, it’s a case of folk spilling out onto the street.

completely different from above, and a bar rather than boozer, but you can sit by the river with a nice view at The Oyster Shed. doesn't seem to be too busy - certainly compared to anywhere on the South Bank and considering the spot.

completely different from above, and a bar rather than boozer, but you can sit by the river with a nice view at The Oyster Shed. doesn't seem to be too busy - certainly compared to anywhere on the South Bank and considering the spot.

A very nice spot, but stretches the "between Bank and Algate East" requirement beyond breaking point.

Got chucked out of there for vaping a few months ago. Even though 2 guys who'd had a big dust up were allowed to stay in.

Back
Top Bottom