Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Property developer Gerry Knight & Lexadon fined £175k under Proceeds of Crime Act

I'd also like to say that the support the music studios have received from local MP ( on left of labour party) and local Cllrs ( on right of party) show that on this issue someone like me is part of mainstream.

Have you ever visited Brixton Hill Studios? This notion that it's full of coked up, loud-mouthed tossers with guitars is the kind of knee jerk ignorant stereotyping that the Daily Mail would come up with. It's a rehearsal studio not a fucking party venue.

...except daphne m's joke was about the pub down the road not the studios.
the loudmouth coked up tossers trope applies across many demgraphics/occupations.
with good reason.

...except daphne m's joke was about the pub down the road not the studios.
the loudmouth coked up tossers trope applies across many demgraphics/occupations.
with good reason.
Nope, their joke was suggesting that the musicians who use the studio are loud coked up pricks who go there from the studio. I mean Daphne's a vociferous prick, but anyway.

Nope, their joke was suggesting that the musicians who use the studio are loud coked up pricks who go there from the studio. I mean Daphne's a vociferous prick, but anyway.

...dont think we're gonna find out what the meaning behind the joke was because i think theygot banned for it. can you tell me 100% of the studio users are not coked up tossers because my experience would tell me thats unlikely.

...dont think we're gonna find out what the meaning behind the joke was because i think theygot banned for it. can you tell me 100% of the studio users are not coked up tossers because my experience would tell me thats unlikely.
Seriously, what the fuck are you going on about? Have you ever set foot in that studio? What 'experience' do you have of rehearsal studios?

And why are you repeating the fucking bullshit that came from that trolling twat?

There was no meaning behind the joke, Daphne's just a prick. Whether there are people who use coke who also use the studio is totally irrelevant. Should we find out how many people who use the coffee shop on Brixton Hill also do coke? There is no relevance.

Lexadon are behaving like any form of rentier capitalism.

Thing is they should not be encouraged. Lambeth Labour Council have sold them Council property.

Rectory Gardens and Clifton Mansions come to mind.

One leverage elected authorities have is to put people like Lexadon on a list of those who they will not sell land/ property to. Or have any dealings with.

The thing you dont know about Daphne is the way they have been trolling posters from Brixton Forum like me.

If I posted up on another section of the site they would suddenly come and comment. On a thread they had not had any interest in before. I pulled them up for following me around. Creepy behavior.

The short of it is that they are a wind up troll. Doing enough to wind people up without doing it in way to be banned altogether.

The reason is to wind me up until I go off on one. And then make it seem Im unreasonable. ie to discredit me as a poster here.

It things like this that have happened to me more recently due to my posting on Brixton forum that led me to put my profile on restricted access.

The thing you dont know about Daphne is the way they have been trolling posters from Brixton Forum like me.

If I posted up on another section of the site they would suddenly come and comment. On a thread they had not had any interest in before. I pulled them up for following me around. Creepy behavior.

The short of it is that they are a wind up troll. Doing enough to wind people up without doing it in way to be banned altogether.

The reason is to wind me up until I go off on one. And then make it seem Im unreasonable. ie to discredit me as a poster here.

It things like this that have happened to me more recently due to my posting on Brixton forum that led me to put my profile on restricted access.
It does the exact same thing to me across multiple, threads and topics. The rules are very strict on trolling so I'm turning it into a permaban.
If anyone has any objections, please take it to the feedback forum.

And to your first point, I would say that you're again using the language of folk-economics. You talk about "exploiting an area" and "squeezing people". This is where we fundamentally disagree. An area isn't exploited like like cutting down a forest or excavating a mine. There isn't a fixed amount of wealth that gets squeezed, out of an area, like water out of a sponge. Wealth isn't like water. Wealth can be created. We don't have to fight about who gets it, we can cooperate about how we create it together. Three hundred years ago the human race had almost nothing. Now we have schools and hospitals, and roads and iPhones. The whole world is much wealthier than it was. Humans created this wealth.

Wealth is created when two parties make an exchange. When a man buys a beer in the pub, he wants the beer more than he wanted the money. The pub landlord wanted the money more than he wanted the beer. Both sides of the trade get something better than what they had. No one is being exploited. No one is being squeezed. Far from it. People who go to pubs regularly say that they are "supporting the pub". They are please to have this When I buy bananas in Tesco, I want the bananas more than I want my money, and Tesco wants my money more than it wants the bananas. We both gain something by the trade. When a South American farmer fills a ship with bananas, and it comes back a few weeks later with toasters and computers, he has gained. Trade is what creates wealth.

When Lexadon buys a property from an owner, both sides of the deal are getting something they want, in return for something which has lesser value to them. It's "Win Win", as the cliché goes. When Lexadon, (or whoever), leased a space to Brixton Hill Studios, they both were giving up something they wanted, in return for something they wanted even more. Both parties gained from the transaction. When a man buys a beer in a pub, he's not exploiting the pub, nor is the pub exploiting him. When I buy bananas in Tesco, I'm not exploiting them, nor are they exploiting me. When Lexagon leases a space to Brixton Hill studios, neither side is exploiting the other. They're both creating wealth together.

[blah blah blah]
I see that your naive version of Classical economics is missing a theory of rentierism. Do you not think that is an omission?

Lexadon Limited seems overall really profitable, but it does make a loss in some years. For instance it made a £29m loss this year, but £126m profit in 2018.

Capture.PNG

Source: Here's what I just found on pomanda.com - lexadon-limited

Lexadon Limited directly employs 15 people. Employee costs average £36,385 per employee.

Business Rates and council tax would be payable by tenants in most cases, except where the building is empty. There will be other charges for Brixton BID, and probably Section 108 etc payments too.

Lexadon Limited seems overall really profitable, but it does make a loss in some years. For instance it made a £29m loss this year, but £126m profit in 2018.

View attachment 381595

Source: Here's what I just found on pomanda.com - lexadon-limited

Lexadon Limited directly employs 15 people. Employee costs average £36,385 per employee.

Business Rates and council tax would be payable by tenants in most cases, except where the building is empty. There will be other charges for Brixton BID, and probably Section 108 etc payments too.
The structure (if you go to the link) seems very similar to Antic - except Antic has had subsidiaries which went bust.
I doubt any Lexadon subsidiary ever went bust!

The point is Thatcherism got rid of rent controls and paved way for "liberalisation" of housing market.

This country has had years of this. Its worked for landlords like Lexadon.

It however has led to inequalities in housing.

For Tulster218 our poor man's Adam Smith (as a poster aptly described them) the problem is the market hasn't been liberalised enough.

Whether Gerry Knight has given anything back is not the point.

Landlords are about making money. They aren't a social service.

I see Labour party has gone back on ideas of rent controls.

Lisa Nandy is now talking about increasing supply by say building on green labd. So I expect Tulster218 is happy about this. Another u turn by Starmer led party.

I think dropping rent controls is also about keeping on board the socially liberal middle class who have kept their old flat on as a buy to let "investment ' In case their socially liberal values evaporate if they think a future Labour government may bring in rent controls. God forbid this attack on the middle class. Rent controls are slippery slope to totalitarian communism

Can anyone check Lexadon's company accounts?

View attachment 381589

Basically Knight is a product of the Thatcherite change of the economy to neo liberal capitalism.

Hes bought up Council properties and turned them into profitable investments.

Nothing against him personally. But he is a landlord out to make a profit. And the system has been changed to enable people like him to do this

Nothing against him personally. But imo these kind of people need to be stopped.

Is it clear where the losses have come from in those years? Buying assets or transferring money to management company for use of trademarks etc?

crazy price. I checked on Rghtmove and was shocked to see not only is that the going rate but that you can pay a lot more for a 1-bed in Brixton. so you need an income of at least 40k, probably more, just to contemplate being able to afford to live there in any sort of comfort.

Back
Top Bottom