Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pre-prepared fruit

cesare

shady's dreams ♥
I was doing my shopping last night and I usually steer clear of pre-prepared fresh fruits such as tropical fruit salad, grape and berry mixes etc - mainly because I assume that I'd be paying for the cost of preparation and packaging and therefore they'd be pricier.

But I was comparing cost per 100g with whole fresh fruits and most of them were not only cheaper but also no waste.

Am I missing something? Why buy whole fruits when the prepared ones are cheaper?

They've always been more expensive when I've seen them. And then there's the truly unnecessary environmental cost of all the packaging.

(No criticism of anyone buying the things though, as they can be convenient).

I'm not sure I'm convinced :hmm: :D

A whole pineapple is what, £1, maybe £1.50, and then a little pot of pineapple is around that isn't it?

I don't buy pineapple very often :oops:

I buy them when I remember I really ought to buy some fruit. Usually pineapple or melon.
I don't eat apples or oranges and bananas are rarely ripe enough and cherries and grapes are usually too dear. One of the things that puts me off fruit is the preparation involved so they're ideal for me.
Also, elderly/disabled people appreciate preprepared fruit and veg.

I thought I'd just check with Sainsburys. It's harder to tell there because of how they price ie whole fruits they price per unit or each, so it's harder to compare.

Sainsburys... it's £5 a kilo for pre-packaged, even with waste that can't be cheaper than buying a pineapple can it?

Sainsburys... it's £5 a kilo for pre-packaged, even with waste that can't be cheaper than buying a pineapple can it?
50p per 100g. Once you cut off the spiky bit of a pineapple and the surrounding skin you're left with approx 300g I reckon so if the pineapple costs £1.50 you might as well buy it pre-prepared. I need to try it really :D

50p per 100g. Once you cut off the spiky bit of a pineapple and the surrounding skin you're left with approx 300g I reckon so if the pineapple costs £1.50 you might as well buy it pre-prepared. I need to try it really :D
You need to do an experiment! :D I reckon a pineapple is at least a kilo, and the waste isn't going to be over half that weight. I have no idea, I'm hungry.

I had a phase of buying these, specially the M&S ones which are always tasty. The Sainsburys ones are not that great.

I'm against them in theory, but if it means you eat more fruit than you otherwise would... They have a bit of a treat quality.

The melon and pineapple packs from MnS are the only time I eat melon or pineapple.
I walk past them in the MnS in St Thomas' and if I have enough change I buy one.

My decision not to buy them is based mostly on cost, so I'm leg to find out if I'm being stupid.

do you not like it? Great cocktail ingredient ;) if you like piña coladas...

I do but not loads of it so it would probably get wasted if the dogs can't eat it.

Apparently they can and some vets recommend it if dogs are eating their own poo. Marvellous! :D

I'll sometimes indulge in some pre-packed fruits (or carrot sticks) or cherry tomatoes - as an addition to lunch or for nibbling whilst working when I want a snack available but need to stay near PC/phone or have a deadline to meet. (I'll catch up on the TIL later!)

Madness of capitalism
original.jpg

Back
Top Bottom