Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post-war Spanish exiles

Rob Ray

Weight is meaningless
Hey all, so for context, I've been digitising a bunch of old Freedom papers recently and to help let people know it's there did a feature piece on what was being written about in the 1950s. There were a couple of things which cropped up which I was intrigued about and I'm curious whether better-read folks know more.

El Campesino claims that of nearly 6,000 Spanish refugees in Russia, only 1,200 are still alive today, and challenges the Communists to disprove his figures.

Anyone know what actually happened there? The original freedom article also talks about the people who helped heist the Republic's gold being among the disappeared.

A court case in Genoa was a good example of this, with three anarchists, Buscio, Deluchi and Mancuso going on trial for forcing their way into the Spanish Consulate with a plan to assassinate the Consul. The man himself being away, they let off a hand grenade in the office.

The three names don't crop up together online at all in a search, so I have no idea what happened to them.

Hey all, so for context, I've been digitising a bunch of old Freedom papers recently and to help let people know it's there did a feature piece on what was being written about in the 1950s. There were a couple of things which cropped up which I was intrigued about and I'm curious whether better-read folks know more.

Anyone know what actually happened there? The original freedom article also talks about the people who helped heist the Republic's gold being among the disappeared.

The three names don't crop up together online at all in a search, so I have no idea what happened to them.
let me see what i can do

that's a tricky one, not turning anything up in the papers...

how's this for you? The attack on Spain’s embassy in Genoa in 1949

Rob Ray, some useful insight into British Anarchism following the war years. I noted Freedoms response to American involvement in Korea shows American thoughts and actions then as imperialistic and destructive, still today, as it was at the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom