Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post random pics of your CD/vinyl/cassette collection

It might be but it's not the original.. it came from one little Indian with some free crass stencils a few years ago.. it's never been played coz no record player..
Got one too from then, and the stencil

Recently rebranded to One Little Independent during the BLM related soul searching. Also see Joey Negro and The Black Madonna.

“The last few weeks have been a monumental learning curve. Following the receipt of an eye-opeing letter from a Crass fan that detailed precisely why the logo and label name are offensive, as well as the violent history of the terminology, I felt equally appalled and grateful to them for making me understand what must be changed.”

My 10" collection. A few Stereolabs in there, but a Kilburn & The High Roads comp. was my first. We had an ancient gramophone as a kid. You couldn't drop the stylus freehand, so I had to treat it as a 7" and miss the first track and a bit. Not that I played it much. Pub rock that didn't really translate to vinyl.
20210709_170018.jpg

missed that
From that link, Dave Lee says "I've stopped using it a few times but establishing a new name as an artist isn't easy and I've ended up going back to it."

He's used plenty of other names over the years: AC Soul Symphony, Agora, Akabu, Alternative Car Park, Avalanche, Boy Naughty, Brad Hed, Brad Shitt, Brian Maiden, Dave Max, DJ Travel Insurance, DJ Weight Problem, Donald Trumpet, Doug Willis, Dwight Trash, Energise, Flashback Of A Genius, Foreal People, Gaye Marvin, Idi Amin & The Daleks, Jakatta, Jayenne, Joey Negro, Jupiter Beyond, Lady Aya, Lakeshore Commission, Mistura, Mr Bottyspank, Mystique, Original Disco Ted, Pepe Le Peu, Phenominal Handicap Band, Plastic Ian, Prospect Park, Rainbow Connection, Raven Maize, Raw Essence, Rock Shock, Sadam Ant, Sessomatto, The Black Passages, The Shy Boys, The Yorkshire Rapper, Those Pesky Kids, Z Factor

Maybe he could return to one of them? Some less so than others. I can understand him not wanting to be Dave Lee - I always mentally add 'Travis' to the end...

From that link, Dave Lee says "I've stopped using it a few times but establishing a new name as an artist isn't easy and I've ended up going back to it."

He's used plenty of other names over the years: AC Soul Symphony, Agora, Akabu, Alternative Car Park, Avalanche, Boy Naughty, Brad Hed, Brad Shitt, Brian Maiden, Dave Max, DJ Travel Insurance, DJ Weight Problem, Donald Trumpet, Doug Willis, Dwight Trash, Energise, Flashback Of A Genius, Foreal People, Gaye Marvin, Idi Amin & The Daleks, Jakatta, Jayenne, Joey Negro, Jupiter Beyond, Lady Aya, Lakeshore Commission, Mistura, Mr Bottyspank, Mystique, Original Disco Ted, Pepe Le Peu, Phenominal Handicap Band, Plastic Ian, Prospect Park, Rainbow Connection, Raven Maize, Raw Essence, Rock Shock, Sadam Ant, Sessomatto, The Black Passages, The Shy Boys, The Yorkshire Rapper, Those Pesky Kids, Z Factor

Maybe he could return to one of them? Some less so than others. I can understand him not wanting to be Dave Lee - I always mentally add 'Travis' to the end...
all of those pseudonyms would have 'NEW JOEY NEGRO PRODUCTION!!' on those handwritten info slips they used to put on the 12s in the record shop mind.

Recently purchased this cassette player for £13.13 from China so I could play some of my old cassettes that I got down from the loft in lockdown:

1625848094893.png

When I put all the NME tapes together I was quite chuffed at the haul:

1625848137901.png

I think this is my oldest cassette: from 1975...still plays.

1625848185619.png

"I tried DJ Weight Problem but people didnt go for it. So I changed by name to Mr Bottyspank. Bookings dropped off. I had to stick with Joey. Deep in my heart I am truly Idi Amin & The Daleks"

Recently rebranded to One Little Independent during the BLM related soul searching. Also see Joey Negro and The Black Madonna.

“The last few weeks have been a monumental learning curve. Following the receipt of an eye-opeing letter from a Crass fan that detailed precisely why the logo and label name are offensive, as well as the violent history of the terminology, I felt equally appalled and grateful to them for making me understand what must be changed.”
This has just reminded me that one of my mates supplied the raw materials to the pressing plant that did a recent Bjork vinyl press in the most brilliant white and blue colour I've ever seen. I can't remember the album but it's in the last five or so years. I asked him where he got the idea for the colourisation from.....pictures of fish spunk. He spent hours and hours looking at pictures of fish spunk on the Internet until he found the right colours. You can make a good living doing this.

Back
Top Bottom