Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Posh parents defend their child scrambling over Tate Modern scultpture

Who knows where the time goes.This was them just 6 short years ago.

btrevor1.jpeg
That photo is the most annoying thing I've ever seen.
I know it's his house and he can do what he wants, but he better get those grubby trainers off the sofa pronto or I am going to lose my cool.

Yes, these people sound like dicks, but why again is it about them being posh? Can't dicks just be dicks?

How can we hope for a classless society when we can't even have classless insults? :(

Yes, these people sound like dicks, but why again is it about them being posh? Can't dicks just be dicks?

How can we hope for a classless society when we can't even have classless insults? :(

You're not going to have a classless society by pretending class doesn't exist. Their sense of entitlement is fundamentally linked to their class.

pretty much ^ that.

something is fucked in that large chunks of the media encourage an "i'm more important than everyone else, the rules don't apply to me or my kids" attitude among the middle classes, then go on about "anti social behaviour / chavs / broken britain" if "the lower orders" adopt anything like the same attitude.

Don't know that they are posh? Rich without doubt though think he worked his way up from leaving school to junior fashion designer etc. Not sure at what bank balance Urbans bizarre classometer flicks from dictating someone is salt of the earth working class to sell out posh cunt

Don't know that they are posh? Rich without doubt though think he worked his way up from leaving school to junior fashion designer etc. Not sure at what bank balance Urbans bizarre classometer flicks from dictating someone is salt of the earth working class to sell out posh cunt
By worked his way up you mean attended an elite grammar school then went to university then was immediately made head of menswear at Reiss.

They're irritating, but i don't see a great deal wrong with the child's actions: children interact with things and it seems like a cool thing to do if you're small-child-sized.

the person taking and tweeting the photo is my number one cunt in this matter, i think.

Looking at the sculpture, it appears to be painted. After 100 kids have climbed on it, it will be chipped and scuffed. A bronze sculpture can take it, but there are lots more delicate art pieces that probably won't stand up to repeated climbing etc over the years.

Yes, kids have a natural curiosity and desire to jump, climb etc. But part of a parent's job is teaching them that there are places where those things are inappropriate.

pretty much ^ that.

something is fucked in that large chunks of the media encourage an "i'm more important than everyone else, the rules don't apply to me or my kids" attitude among the middle classes, then go on about "anti social behaviour / chavs / broken britain" if "the lower orders" adopt anything like the same attitude.

And the media's friends in government legislate so that the working class can be punished beyond an ASBO (i.e. local authority powers to evict), whereas there's no such banishment power for homeowners who are nightmares, or whose children are nightmares.
I'm thinking some kind of compulsory-purchase order. :)

Looking at the sculpture, it appears to be painted. After 100 kids have climbed on it, it will be chipped and scuffed. A bronze sculpture can take it, but there are lots more delicate art pieces that probably won't stand up to repeated climbing etc over the years.

Yes, kids have a natural curiosity and desire to jump, climb etc. But part of a parent's job is teaching them that there are places where those things are inappropriate.
I agree. The gallery asks people not to touch stuff, and I think it's reasonable to make such a request. Even if you don't agree and think artworks should be climbed on, it is rude to ignore such a request. And yes, it is a parent's job sometimes to say no to a child.

I also agree with spanglechick that the photographer-tweeter is the cunt here. If they were pissed off with the child doing that, they should have spoken to the parents and if the parents had told them to get lost and they were still pissed off, they could have alerted an attendant. What they chose to do - put the incident on the internet - was cowardly and shit.

So rope it off.

So rope it off.

That's sort of the way the world is going: instead of people controlling their own impulses to touch the painting, or restraining their kids from situation-inappropriate behavior - put up fences and hire extra guards.

I guess this isn't the end of the world

italy%20mona%20lisa-68636941_v2.grid-6x2.jpg

but I remember the first time I saw it thinking 'what the fuck is wrong with people?'

Back
Top Bottom