Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pop Brixton (formerly Grow Brixton) Pope's Road development

There's quite a few empty units in there now, which perhaps isn't surprising given the asking monthly rates and the size of the units:

Restaurant Unit
3 units available Rent: £2,500 + VAT or 10% revenue share (whichever is higher)
Large Office
3 units available Rent: £1,100
Retail Boutique
2 units available Rent: £1,500 + VAT and 15% revenue share

Additional costs

Gas is charged in arrears based on agreed usage per month.
Electricity is charged in arrears per month based on metered usage.

I agree with Tricky Skills analysis.

When I was watching the Hondo Planning Application Committee I thought of Pop.

The officers were going on and on about the entrepreunarial "ecosystem".

For Regen and senior planning officers ( who along with senior Cllrs make policy in Lambeth) Pop is great success and they do see getting McWilliams to put "social value" and Pop type business "ecosystem" in place as progressive.

Its Pop on a bigger scale.

Im worried now what permanent plans Regeneration officers are dreaming up for the Pop/ International House site.

Pop got extension partly as the officers are not up to speed on developing permanant plans for the "regeneration" of those sites.

I wonder what they are thinking.

I agree with Tricky Skills analysis.

When I was watching the Hondo Planning Application Committee I thought of Pop.

The officers were going on and on about the entrepreunarial "ecosystem".

For Regen and senior planning officers ( who along with senior Cllrs make policy in Lambeth) Pop is great success and they do see getting McWilliams to put "social value" and Pop type business "ecosystem" in place as progressive.

Its Pop on a bigger scale.

Im worried now what permanent plans Regeneration officers are dreaming up for the Pop/ International House site.

Pop got extension partly as the officers are not up to speed on developing permanant plans for the "regeneration" of those sites.

I wonder what they are thinking.

What our buzzword-loving cllrs & senior officers fail to understand, is that the "entrepreneurial ecosystem" is partly predicated on those same cllrs & senior officers knowing very little about business, & falling over themselves to draw investment into the borough though "incentivising" said "entrepreneurs". Fuckwits, the lot of them.

This is pretty damning stuff. All those small venues missing out on grants and the millionaire owners of Pop Brixton manage to pocket a wedge for themselves

Hey, I'm a student, called Alexandra Sturgis, currently studying human geography at the University of Leeds. At the moment, I'm working on my dissertation, which looks at Pop Brixton, considering its role within the area’s gentrification and the implications of the project. If there's anybody on this thread that has any knowledge or opinions on Pop Brixton- whether you are a resident of the area, have an interest in gentrification or any sort of interest in this project- I could really benefit from your knowledge. I’d love to organise a short interview, it would be a relaxed conversation, lasting approximately 20 minutes and conducted online, for example, through skype or zoom. It wouldn’t require any preparation, as again, I’d just be interested in your experiences and opinions. Involvement can be kept completely anonymous and you could also withdraw from the project at any time. Ideally, this would take place in late March, although dates and times can be selected at your convenience. Any involvement would be amazing so please get in touch if you are interested- I'd be hugely grateful.

*ed: email removed

Last edited by a moderator:
I am conducting some research in Brixton as part of my undergraduate degree regarding the ongoing regeneration in Brixton. My intentions from this research project are to gather a sense of how the changes that have been happening in this area affect you, the long-standing population who often is not heard and ignored by policymakers. This remains an important ‘unfilled gap’ within research surrounding the regeneration of Brixton and providing these opinions as part of an academic piece could have positive implications on highlighting how these types of regeneration projects affect the most important people, the current population like yourselves. If this sounds interesting to you and you have been affected by the gentrification of Brixton please do respond with some thoughts to this thread I would be hugely grateful!

There's quite a few empty units in there now, which perhaps isn't surprising given the asking monthly rates and the size of the units:

Restaurant Unit
3 units available Rent: £2,500 + VAT or 10% revenue share (whichever is higher)
Large Office
3 units available Rent: £1,100
Retail Boutique
2 units available Rent: £1,500 + VAT and 15% revenue share

Additional costs

Gas is charged in arrears based on agreed usage per month.
Electricity is charged in arrears per month based on metered usage.

I recognise that this post is old, but to be frank, in the post-march-2020 environment I wouldn't bother opening shop unless I could get a lease that's more like "2,500+VAT or 10% revenue share (whichever is lower)".

There's a very significant, possibly even a majority, chance that you just end up paying 30K a year to own a box with the front door locked "cos virus". The fact that the Government haven't stepped in to cancel rent is absurd (though not unexpected).

I am conducting some research in Brixton as part of my undergraduate degree regarding the ongoing regeneration in Brixton. My intentions from this research project are to gather a sense of how the changes that have been happening in this area affect you, the long-standing population who often is not heard and ignored by policymakers. This remains an important ‘unfilled gap’ within research surrounding the regeneration of Brixton and providing these opinions as part of an academic piece could have positive implications on highlighting how these types of regeneration projects affect the most important people, the current population like yourselves. If this sounds interesting to you and you have been affected by the gentrification of Brixton please do respond with some thoughts to this thread I would be hugely grateful!
May I be the first to suggest you read the post above yours

It's OK, me and Jordan have exchanged a few messages and we've agreed that I will give him my views dircetly and these will be taken as the "official and final opinion of the urban75 brixton forum". This is an arrangement I already have with various research institutes, public bodies, government departments and so on, so it's basically a cut and paste job for me, and easy money even when I offer a discount on my fees. Saves people on here from the bother of having to communicate with outsiders, and offers researchers a way of gathering information without lots of swear words and spelling mistakes in it. A win-win for everyone I think it's fair to say.

It's OK, me and Jordan have exchanged a few messages and we've agreed that I will give him my views dircetly and these will be taken as the "official and final opinion of the urban75 brixton forum". This is an arrangement I already have with various research institutes, public bodies, government departments and so on, so it's basically a cut and paste job for me, and easy money even when I offer a discount on my fees. Saves people on here from the bother of having to communicate with outsiders, and offers researchers a way of gathering information without lots of swear words and spelling mistakes in it. A win-win for everyone I think it's fair to say.

This is wind up. Why do you post here and take delight in being contrarian?

Its not clever.

From green oasis for the community to this:

Following a five month hiatus, South London’s leading cultural space, Pop Brixton, is back open and ready to reveal its lockdown glow up. As well as undergoing a seasonal revamp complete with tropical plants, colourful murals by local artists and a new garden dining space, the vibrant hub has welcomed four new food traders, all ready to serve up mouth-watering dishes: from scrumptious Irish sandwiches to authentic Sri Lanken Kottu and Cutlets. Elsewhere, the Pop Bar is standing by, ready to serve ice-cold mixed drinks, beers and ciders from Brixton’s local breweries and distilleries. The site is also prepped for a busy events schedule, featuring weekly DJ nights with resident radio station Reprezent, Record Store Day parties with Container Records, Euro 2020 screenings and an array of community events. Pop Brixton is open for walk-ins, no need to book ahead. For more information, visit popbrixton.org

Back
Top Bottom