Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pop Brixton (formerly Grow Brixton) Pope's Road development

I mean it’s provided jobs for local people & money for council services at the very least.

Now:

“We can advise that we (i.e. Lambeth council) have not received any funds from Pop Brixton as part of the original profit share scheme. The conditions around receiving the profit share in the agreement have not been reached.”

Source: The loss making Pop Brixton gifted yet another lease extension by Lambeth as Brixton Buzz FoI reveals that the car crash project has paid zero profit share to the Council

Can someone clarify what "money for council services" this has provided?

Read the article above and remind me why Pop Brixton has been such a great success story for Brixton.
I do not think I ever called it a great success story for Brixton.

My issue was first you described it as a “catastrophic failure “. I would disagree with this. A catastrophic failure would be if they had failed to build anything or it had burnt down or collapsed. It is in no way a catastrophic failure.

Then you described it as an “embarrassing failure” this would be maybe if no one came to it, or it was really poor quality? I do not see it as an embarrassing failure.

In reality, it’s quite successful in some ways. it’s provided jobs, income for LBL via business rates & good PR for Brixton.

It has absolutely failed in providing any profit share to Lambeth.

However I think it would be churlish not to celebrate the positive as well as acknowledging the negative.

I do not think I ever called it a great success story for Brixton.

My issue was first you described it as a “catastrophic failure “. I would disagree with this. A catastrophic failure would be if they had failed to build anything or it had burnt down or collapsed. It is in no way a catastrophic failure.

Then you described it as an “embarrassing failure” this would be maybe if no one came to it, or it was really poor quality? I do not see it as an embarrassing failure.

In reality, it’s quite successful in some ways. it’s provided jobs, income for LBL via business rates & good PR for Brixton.

It has absolutely failed in providing any profit share to Lambeth.

However I think it would be churlish not to celebrate the positive as well as acknowledging the negative.
Really looking forward to reading your hot PR spin on the utter disgrace that is Pop Brixton. They're not even paying their business rates, and they've screwed over local community groups.

As well as not paying the rent to Lambeth council for the land that Pop Brixton sits on, Pop Brixton also owe Lambeth council over £109K in business rates.

So not only has the council not made any money from Pop Brixton, they are actively losing it. Utility and security companies also have unpaid bills which are close to £100K each.

Given Pop Brixton’s much touted efforts to promote themselves as a being community based, it is particularly galling to see the number of small and local businesses they have turned over.

Urban Growth, a community interest group who create urban green spaces, such as the Brixton Orchard, are owed £10,800. There are more examples such as this.

I have just been listening to DJ Shari playing an amazing set of black music on Reprezent Radio so I hope they will have a home somewhere else soon.

Back
Top Bottom