Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pokemon Go

An 'augmented reality' app based around the usual premise of a Pokemon game - gotta catch 'em all.

So, you download it to your phone (for free).

It uses your gps tracking data. You head outside, and wander around. As you do so, it tracks where you are and lets you know if there are any pokemon listed as being nearby. You follow the map on your phone to find them. When you find them, it switches to camera mode, so you see the real world through your camera on your phone, with the pokemon in question superimposed into the scene - that's the augmented reality bit. Then you try to catch it.

The aim is to collect as many pokemon as possible, requiring you to travel far and wide to get them. You can train them, increase their levels, eventually taking them to pokemon gyms (which are stationed in real-world public places like parks and libraries and lol police stations) to train them even more. You can pit your pokemon in battle against other people's pokemon.

There are 3 teams, you join one of them. There's something to do with teams fighting to control certain real-life areas, but I don't understand that part.
I wanted to be cynical but that actually sounds like quite good fun :oops: :hmm: :D

They've also been spotted at ... the 9/11 Museum. Could be only a matter of time until Pokemon start popping up .
I bet they already have retailers knocking on their doors wanting to be used as a "gym."

They could even set up a lucrative side racket in Pokemon protection. They could steer players to someone's house and then demand a payment to remove the nuisance. :D

Here’s How Pokémon Go Is About to Make Even More Money Off You

Got public transport for the first time in a few days yesterday. Everybody* was talking about it.

*ok 4 people.

Also all the rage at work.

I'm on it. All the locations near me are the same as ingress including the ingress locations I set up, so I know where to go. I'm going to go for a wander in a minute and bag a few. :thumbs:

We arent getting this on the Windows phones it seems.. :(

Also, with mentions to pokemon being found in places like the 9/11 memorial and such, the findings of pokemon are mostly based around locations considered landmarks. As much as it may seem insensitive, I just assume that it was programmed under "use all landmarks" for pokemon.

Either way, a lot of my friends are talking about it, and I'm extremely tempted :D

A confused person writes - So if my phone is in my pocket will it alert one is nearby? Or do you have to have the app running/open?

We arent getting this on the Windows phones it seems.. :(

Also, with mentions to pokemon being found in places like the 9/11 memorial and such, the findings of pokemon are mostly based around locations considered landmarks. As much as it may seem insensitive, I just assume that it was programmed under "use all landmarks" for pokemon.

Either way, a lot of my friends are talking about it, and I'm extremely tempted :D

There's a instance of a man who lives in a converted church having pokemon players turn up at his house at all hours.

Back
Top Bottom