Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Phones

nagapie

My phone has died and my son's is about to. I am still in contract to EE and getting a new phone from them right now is a stitch up. I want to buy a cheap but reliable android. We've both had Oppos for years and they were perfect but apparently they're not available any more.
Can I have recommendations for cheapish reliable android phones, preferably with decent screens as we both watch stuff on them.
I don't necessarily want a refurbished phone as although I've had some good ones, our last refurbished phone wasn't great.

Depends on your budget, of course. And what you expect to do with it. You want the cheapest thing that's not crap and just watch videos and surf the web? This:

Absolutely unbeatable at the price. But it's at a level where spending a bit more gets you a lot more. Though a decent camera probably starts nearer to £200, but literally anything can take decent shots in daylight these days. It's only if you want good shots in "challenging" lighting that you need better.

Anything Chinese is likely to be cheaper than anything not Chinese

OnePlus Nord CE3 Lite or a Xiaomi Redmi

The Oppos were Chinese. I'm not sure if he meant that we can't get them at all any more or just can't get them through ee, I'd best check. Cheap is important but it does need to last a couple of years and a few droppings.

I have had a Samsung A51 for the past 4.5 years and it is still a great phone that doesn't need replacing. The Empire of Evil is flogging them at £189

Its our current issue work phone. I was so impressed what you get for the money, when my partners phone died it's what I replaced it with. Be aware not all versions support 5g if that's important to you.
I don't think anything that price supports 5G. Supporting it necessitates a newer CPU/chipset than the discount models usually have.
(also note that most times the 4G and 5G versions of phones are actually very different under the skin. The 5G one normally a lot newer/faster)

That's a close one. The Samsung is a better performer (slightly), but I'd rather the 6GB of RAM in the Poco above. They both get 4 years of updates now.

I did look at the POCO M6 on Amazon, but the reviews are not great.

Good point, 4g should be around for at least another 6 years, but on reflection my current Samsung S6 is still working after about 10 years, it's just not compatible with modern apps, I guess it's probably worth the extra £18 for the 5g version.

Cheers. :)

Mrs Numbers and I both still use the iPhone 6s, never had a problem with it until recently where it's started to become a little slow at times.

I shall watch this thread with interest as prob' get a new one soon.

I've always had refurb phones from Giffgaff and they've been great - I had one with a camera issue that I had to send back and they ended up sending me a better model. I have a Google pixel phone now, in fact both me & Mr Thora do I think, and have no complaints.

People might find this thread useful?

Back
Top Bottom