Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bought new cordless pair of phones but nowhere to connect my wifi cord to in base

Dunno what an ethernet cable is. I have router and openreadch box, base has connection for plug for socket and the other for plug to openreadh box I think, sick of getting up and down as its cold and its in the hall.

That is an ethernet cable then, when ordering you need to check for phones that have an ethernet (or might be called network) socket. If you are checking for wifi capability, then you are getting phones that connect to the router without a cable.

That is an ethernet cable then, when ordering you need to check for phones that have an ethernet (or might be called network) socket. If you are checking for wifi capability, then you are getting phones that connect to the router without a cable.
Someone told me I had no ethernet cable when I had problems with my old computer as we were trying to connect.
Maybe I am not describing it right, I cant seem to photograph the setup as its too awkward, but the picture of the base should clarify things.
What do I look for when purchasing online, what key words do I put in?
What set up do you all have for phone and wifi?

I just want a replacement cordless phone that I can plus into my open reach box, but its proving stupidly difficult.

How do you get on wifi?

What do you mean how do I get on wifi? Wifi is a system whereby internet signal is transmitted and received wirelessly, I can connect to the internet on my mobile phone by using the wifi signal from my router. On my computer I use a wired connection (using an ethernet cable) because it is a better type of connection for gaming

What do you mean how do I get on wifi? Wifi is a system whereby internet signal is transmitted and received wirelessly, I can connect to the internet on my mobile phone by using the wifi signal from my router. On my computer I use a wired connection (using an ethernet cable) because it is a better type of connection for gaming
Yeah I got wifi on phone wirelessly, should I try setting then up again to see if I can get on wifi, maybe I don't need the old style phones like I have, I will try and tell you what is happening for me.
Hope I don't get disconnected from wifi.

Might be a stupid suggestion that you might have already tried but if not turn the router off for a few minutes & then switch it on again. It might then recognise the new devices.

See the left hand connection at bottom of existing phone base, well that plugs straight into the open reach box, if I connect up the new phones without these connections, just the wall socket connection, I lose wifi.

Attachments

• base, left hand and right hand holes for wifi cables.jpg
    base, left hand and right hand holes for wifi cables.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 5
  • from phpone base to openreach box.jpg
    from phpone base to openreach box.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 5
1604439899590.png

Hi Pete. Connection 1 in this pic should be going to connection 3, marked DSL on your BT wall box. Connection 2 will go into your phone master unit (usually recognisable because it will have buttons for picking up voice mails and possibly other things). Connection 4 will go into your wifi router (that's an ethernet cable). Then a power cable will go into the master phone base unit and the second base unit (not a master, recognisable by the fact it will be basically a little charging unit. WiFi won't be involved in your phone setup at all. Does that make sense?

What JuanTwoThree said ^
If they are these phones BT Everyday Cordless Home Phone with Basic Call: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics then I would think the smaller base is the extension and the larger, the master that plugs into the BT socket.
According to that description the phone comes with a phone cord to plug it in. If there is no phone socket on the base then either panpete
1. Hasn't found the phone socket.
2. They aren't the phones you think they are.
3. They have put the wrong items in the box.

View attachment 237216

Hi Pete. Connection 1 in this pic should be going to connection 3, marked DSL on your BT wall box. Connection 2 will go into your phone master unit (usually recognisable because it will have buttons for picking up voice mails and possibly other things). Connection 4 will go into your wifi router (that's an ethernet cable). Then a power cable will go into the master phone base unit and the second base unit (not a master, recognisable by the fact it will be basically a little charging unit. WiFi won't be involved in your phone setup at all. Does that make sense?
Will check and get back to you thank you,

yes black cable from phone base goes into 2 that you labelled thank you.

Ok, unplug that and plug it into the new 'master' base unit. Is the fact that you can walk around with them what's confusing you about wifi on the phone? They use something called DECT which is sort of like WiFi but, importantly for this thread, not WiFi.

Just checked the manual. Looks like the phone and power cords plug in underneath. This pic is of the bottom of the base unit:

1604440521411.png

View attachment 237216

Hi, sorry I couldn't photograph your post and take it in the hall so I made a note on my mobile app, and emailed it to myself, I think I explained it wrong.
The pink one goes from big openreach box into router.
Grey cable goes from big openrrach box into little open reach box.
Black cable from little openrrach box goes into base of phone.
Left hand black plug goes into router.
White cable goes from wall socket into big openrrach box.
Here is the whole setup. Phone on base to the right. Sorry didnt mention socket below.

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 11
Ok, small open reach thing behind that power brick is your incoming line. As I said, the grey one on the left goes into your OpenReach wall box, which then goes into your router using the pink cable. Don't touch these. They are internet only. The small flat white connector with the black cable is a phone line. Unplug your old one, put the new one from the new phone into the empty socket. Then plug the other end of that into the bottom of the master phone unit. Plug in the power and it should work (might need a charge though).

Whoops somethings gone wrong-pongo already hahah
There is nowhere to put the white end of the lead running from the new base
Pls see photo - I can't follow the instructions,
I took a pic of the white thingy bob at the end of the new base but I cant open email now ahahah not having much lulk Amma

Ok, unplug that and plug it into the new 'master' base unit. Is the fact that you can walk around with them what's confusing you about wifi on the phone? They use something called DECT which is sort of like WiFi but, importantly for this thread, not WiFi.
I can't follow the instructions
Cant get into email as I sent photos to myself

It says plug mains power cable into base. There is nowhere for me to plug red circled area of this pic. I used to be
bright at school I am thick now.
brightschool ssplug.jpge

Into here, the instructions look different]
plug.jpg

Attachments

• base.jpg
    base.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 22
That goes in the small openreach box. Socket 2 on the pic I drew on. Swap the flat white connector for the new one:

View attachment 237224
Thanks sorry to sound so thick. Why do they say IMPORTANT don't put phone in until fully charged.
I used to ok at following instructions 10yrs ago I set up a books router in 2003 what's happened to my mind,

Thanks sorry to sound so thick. Why do they say IMPORTANT don't put phone in until fully charged.
I used to ok at following instructions 10yrs ago I set up a books router in 2003 what's happened to my mind,

Well, they usually say that about mobiles too but I'm way too impatient. As for what's happened to your mind, no idea. But mine has been destroyed by drink, drugs and old age lol.

Back
Top Bottom