Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Peter Jackson’s early work

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
We’re rewatching The Frighteners, a favourite weekend film of ours we’re happy to revisit from time to time. Whenever I watch it I can’t help but think this feels more of a Tim Burton film than a Peter Jackson one. It’s also remarkable IMO that the very next thing he went to direct after this was the LOTR trilogy.

I have heard of two of his earlier films prior to this, but I haven’t seen any of them. Looking at IMDB, Braindead and Bad Taste sound proper mental :D Worth a punt?

We’re rewatching The Frighteners, a favourite weekend film of ours we’re happy to revisit from time to time. Whenever I watch it I can’t help but think this feels more of a Tim Burton film than a Peter Jackson one. It’s also remarkable IMO that the very next thing he went to direct after this was the LOTR trilogy.

I have heard of two of his earlier films prior to this, but I haven’t seen any of them. Looking at IMDB, Braindead and Bad Taste sound proper mental :D Worth a punt?
Both good fun 👍

Yeah, probably not watched them since I was a teenager and I think you've missed out if you didn't see them then, but Bad Taste and Braindead are indeed very good fun. Heavenly Creatures I remember being great, but very different again.

I think Braindead topped some sort of list for "goriest movie ever made" at some point, based on the amount of fake blood being pumped during the finale. If you're in the mood to turn off your brain and indulge in some gross cartoonish fun and pure Kiwi silliness, both it and Bad Taste (his first film?) make for a great double bill (Braindead being the gore magnum opus). They are sublimely ridiculous in their intent to affront their audience, and likely filed under the "guilty pleasure" category, so make sure you know what you're in store for before you settle down for a romantic evening.

Meet the Feebles is a weird one. It comes from the same brand of puerility, but never really comes together.

Heavenly Creatures remains unfairly obscure. I didn't really see how on earth someone like Jackson could pivot from home-made zombie monkeys to a true-story depiction of an intensely murderous relationship between two teenage girls... but a big factor in the film was their creation of a shared fantasy world, which Jackson brought to life very well. Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey are great in the lead roles. On balance, it's probably my favourite Jackson film.

I used to live in the house used for Braindead. Was a major mindfuck sitting around with the flatmates watching it stoned as fuck realising we were sitting in the same room.

Were you never tempted to start wearing a lawnmower around the house?

Kate Winslet's major debut on the world stage if I'm not mistaken.

I used to live in the house used for Braindead. Was a major mindfuck sitting around with the flatmates watching it stoned as fuck realising we were sitting in the same room.
That is an unexpected claim to fame!

theyrr basically 'fan films' or massive DIY projects - brilliant physical gore/horror effects done with a sense of humour
if you like that kind of thing its classic stuff
the making of BAd Taste is even more intersting / Braindead had a bigger budget

its on youtube

Last edited:
For me, Heavenly Creatures is one of the most wonderful films that exists in the world. I absolutely adore it.

Bad Taste and Brain Dead are both brilliantly stupid, shit, fantastic, funny as hell, gory low budget fabulousness.

He's a very talented chap IMO.

Last edited:

Bad Taste is good, Braindead is brilliant!

I don't think Heavenly Creatures is particularly obscure. Not as well known as it should be, maybe, because it is superb.

Braindead and Bad Taste are great fun too.

Back
Top Bottom