Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Perseids tonight

Any time after midnight and before the first light of sunrise is good (in general for almost any meteor shower) as that's tends to be the most favourable geometry for them ploughing across the local sky (before midnight you are looking out of the rear window of the car, as oppose to out the front windshield facing the oncoming storm, as it were).

Obligatory pretty image of a Perseid against the Milky Way, taken yesterday from Anglesey:
Kevin-Lewis-5D3_TL3_LRT_00266_1439302001.jpg

I've seen one, but my view to the NE is blocked and I have buildings all around.
My view to the NE are blocks of flats lit up like it's christmas. I had a short walkabout just now but there's too much ambient light and cloud cover.
I think I'll roll a number and go to somewhere darker. You never know, if the cloud shifts it could be good, on the other hand ... .. .:hmm:

I am only semi-overcast here so I went out to see what I could see and was not dissapointed. I can't do science, I can't do objective. So I did a poem instead
How far did you go

Lone star-traveller

How deep was the dark?

Will I see you again?

O deep space hail but not hailing

What shattered you?

I looked for you in unaided binoculars

But my lights of street lamp kept yours aside

I saw you unaided, cones and rods.

Burning, falling, like a war in heaven

Tell me you’ll be back, in the next cycle.

Tell me orbital mechanics may once more

Give gift to me of better eyes

Ground and backlit.

Perseid meteors are starting to put in an appearance (they are being picked up on various meteor tracking camera networks). Expect them to peak around 11-13 August this year. The southern delta Aquarids shower runs in parallel and you will occasionally see some from that as well.

Also, the Earth has entered a high speed solar wind stream resulting in some beautiful aurorae the last day or so, expected to continue today. The magnetic field is certainly unsettled, so worth keeping an eye on...

Thought it worth adding here that a G1-class geomagnetic storm has been underway the last 24 hours or so and is still active (planetary index unsettled) so worth looking to northern skies, whilst meteor hunting, if clear... The view from Estonia in the early hours of this morning:

This year's Perseids are expected (modelled) to be twice as active as usual (that model peak around 11-12 August).
As a bonus - for a short time, just after sunset, you might be able to see all the naked eye planets at once this week as Saturn, Mars, the crescent Moon, Jupiter, Mercury and Venus, line up from low in the south, around to low in the west:
planetarylineup.png

Last edited:
Just arrived in Greece. Shall park ourselves on a beach somewhere remote and hope it's as good as last year. 11th to 13th seems to be peak activity. Don't be shy perseids.

Just arrived in Greece. Shall park ourselves on a beach somewhere remote and hope it's as good as last year. 11th to 13th seems to be peak activity. Don't be shy perseids.

Even better chance of spotting all the visible planets in one go since they will appear higher from there, for a little longer after sunset.

Back
Top Bottom