Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

People who shoot photos with their lens hood on backwards

No, and I never claimed to be. But I do know what they are capable of, why people buy them, and how they are superior to cameras with tiny sensors.
But you've never used either professionally, yet still presume to tell those who have that they're wrong? Way to go!

10415209514_cb41154c1a_b.jpg

nightdrivewayrt_dhill.jpg

But you've never used either professionally, yet still presume to tell those who have that they're wrong? Way to go!
Why the hell do I need to have used them "professionally" do know what the differences are? I know what they are.

It really is amazing to me that someone who claims to know about photography has spent 24 pages trying to argue that no one needs a DSLR any more because phones do everything and have comparable image quality.

It really is amazing to me that someone who claims to know about photography has spent 24 pages trying to argue that no one needs a DSLR any more because phones do everything and have comparable image quality.
So you'll have no problem producing at least one post where I make such a claim, yes?

], so we can rest assured that anything that makes it in there is of the highest quality with no compromises in photographic quality. You'd agree on that wouldn't you?

I'm afraid not. :(

The Pyramids at Giza in the smoky light of evening. Three camels and their riders in the foreground.

"The famous National Geographic cover," Rowell said. "The Pyramids were moved in relation to the camel riders to make room for the logo. Originally the cover was to be a picture of mine of a Tibetan boy. They kicked it off because the Chinese Embassy objected. The Chinese said they wouldn't let National Geographic writers and photographers into Tibet again if they ran that picture on the cover. It was already at the printer's. When they decided to yank mine out, they needed an instant replacement. They chose this picture, which was a horizontal. In making it a vertical they reset the riders."

http://museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/photo_database/image/the_case_of_the_moving_pyramids/

Manipulated photo from Nat. Geog.

faked-blue-dog-615.jpg

http://www.hackerfactor.com/blog/index.php?/archives/378-National-Geographic-and-Fauxtography.html

Tell me, Ed, if you're so convinced that camera phones are the bee's knees why do you own a mirrorless camera?

What can one say about photographic quality when the image has been made for all intents and purposes, by a computer?
Computers don't make photos that like, Johnny. I'm not even sure what convoluted point it is you're trying to make here, but it seems to have little to do with the discussion.

What is under discussion is whether a smartphone can be used to produce work of a high enough quality to be used professionally and at a high level, and the answer to that is - under some circumstances - most definitely, and I've produced ample evidence of that happening. I've even sold a smartphone photo myself.

Smartphone_photography_tips_ALV_NOK_2__20130707_18_02_55_Pro.jpg

Incidentally, the Lumia image used in NG wasn't just across on page - it formed part of a three page gatefold shot.

During the trip, Alvarez used the phone to shoot a wide, 16:9 image of Lizard Rock in Moab, Utah with the Lumia 1020. The wide-angle image, which is cropped down to approximately 38MP, is being used as a three-page gatefold shot in the current issue of National Geographic, to help celebrate the magazine's 125th anniversary.

Photo by Stephen Alvarez, shot with Nokia Lumia 1020
"The feedback I got from my photo editors at National Geographic was just great. They said: 'We can't believe this came from a smart phone, because the resolution is so huge.' If you told me last year that I was going to shoot an image with a phone that would appear as a gatefold in a magazine, I would have thought you were crazy. But we did it."

http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...kia-lumia-1020-smartphone-national-geographic

Back
Top Bottom