Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paul Barnes gone

If there has been a player revolt, I suspect it would have to be an outsider coming in. Even if there hasn't, a person with Conny South experience seems a better bet.

Reading Barnes farewell tweet and he’s posted up what I guess was the Board’s set goals to achieve.
At least a few of those ✅ seem to have been reactive to the tenure of Gavin Rose.
This is why I’ve said post up an overview of the three year plan (not the detail, as that’s not really for public viewing).
I think a few have missed my point, I’m not saying he’s a bad guy (far from it, it seems), but back in the old skool days they’d absolutely be a fair amount of ribbing towards a manager whose 1/30 points and interviews made the firing pretty easy.
I also think the hire should be on track record rather than the more whimsical tick boxes of ‘rapport with fans’ - as harsh as this sounds, about 80% of the CH crowd don’t really give a damn.
The Board likely needs as many individuals (paid perhaps) as possible who have experience in non league football decision making.
I’ll state this - correct I’m pulled up for not going matches, but I’ve only commented on the results and interviews, not performances.

Last edited:
The statement from anyone interested. It puts the question of budget cuts to bed...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230301-180518.png
    Screenshot_20230301-180518.png
    262.9 KB · Views: 33
The club is bigger than any one person manager or players. So something gone wrong I said a couple of weeks ago about his interview it works both ways not seen any player come out and slag him off about tactics or training

He should not of came out and said the things he did. I hope he moves on ant does good things in football I wish him well but he must learn from his mistakes in interview has I said before players not came out and criticise him or the club

He should not of came out and said the things he did. I hope he moves on ant does good things in football I wish him well but he must learn from his mistakes in interview has I said before players not came out and criticise him or the club
He didn’t do anything that his predecessor didn’t do. But you weren’t calling for him to go.
And players may not have given interviews but then they aren’t necessarily asked to, and if you’ve got them not turning up for matches then frankly that’s a very public slagging off of the club, fans and manager. Just because it’s not vocalised doesn’t mean it’s not said.

An amazing overreaction.
I recall the days of Ryan and Browne and everything was fair game.
I’m sorry, but hysterical angry partner on Twitter, is the pièce de résistance of this bad appointment.
1 point from 30 equals bad appointment and maybe a better manager might just steer the pink & blues away from relegation.
And ‘cuddly and inclusive’ has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

I think if you want to call it a bad appointment then fair enough - like you say, 1 point in 30 is not a good return.

But I think suggesting that we should turn up and mock/goad a bloke who's given it his best shot but come up short is just plain nasty. What's he done to deserve that? It's just unkind, not to mention unnecessary.

But it's not cuddly and inclusive is it? And yet it's what as a club we regularly trumpet and peddle to the media. I don't know how serious your idea was, but we can't say we're a welcoming and accepting club if we then deliberately try to humiliate a bloke who's had the audacity to not win enough games for our liking.

Last edited:
Tweet no longer available

More a lack of awareness than malicious retweets IMO. But certainly unsavoury accounts to be retweeting.

Edited to add the tweets are still there. So I’m confused.

Edit again, the tweet about barnsey is gone but the dodgy retweets still exist.

Last edited:
I think if you want to call it a bad appointment then fair enough - like you say, 1 point in 30 is not a good return.

But I think suggesting that we should turn up and mock/goad a bloke who's given it his best shot but come up short is just plain nasty. What's he done to deserve that? It's just unkind, not to mention unnecessary.

But it's not cuddly and inclusive is it? And yet it's what as a club we regularly trumpet and peddle to the media. I don't know how serious your idea was, but we can't say we're a welcoming and accepting club if we then deliberately try to humiliate a bloke who's had the audacity to not win enough games for our liking.
For clarity, I’m not actually going to wear a Pob face mask and blow Pob esque raspberries

I feel torn on this one. I always think the hallmark of a good manager is when he gets a side to be more than the sum of its parts. Think anyone would struggle to argue that he's done that over the last couple of months. I think he got found out in the Farnborough game, and since then sides have cottoned on to the fact that if you get at Dulwich from minute one, they crumble. He doesn't seem to have had a way to adapt or evolve the side, a plan B, which did worry me.

But at the same time there was a remarkable improvement when he took over, and the style of football changed dramatically, so he clearly did have a positive impact on some level. We were on a shocking run of form, of course, but the first time he really asked the board to back him over the players, they chose the players. We've also potentially lost the person who was labelled to sort everything out on the academy front.

I'd have been interested to know just how many new recruits he wanted. It's a shame - if he could have got us through to the summer, he would've been able to get a squad of his own, and get it much fitter (which I know was one of his real concerns about the current squad).

I hope it's not the last we see of him.

First 15 matches: W8 D2 L5
Last 10 matches: W0 D1 L9

Per PPs details Barnes picked up 1.1 ppg (25 games / 27 points). For reference:

2022/23: 1.0 ppg [to date]
2021/22: 1.3 ppg
2020/21: 1.2 ppg [part season]
2019/20: 1.1 ppg [part season]
2018/19: 1.2 ppg

Probably doesn't get sacked if he's picked up the same amount of points with more regularity rather than having a really good spell and then a disastrous spell. Very hard to look beyond that current spell though.

First 15 matches: W8 D2 L5
Last 10 matches: W0 D1 L9

Per PPs details Barnes picked up 1.1 ppg (25 games / 27 points). For reference:

2022/23: 1.0 ppg [to date]
2021/22: 1.3 ppg
2020/21: 1.2 ppg [part season]
2019/20: 1.1 ppg [part season]
2018/19: 1.2 ppg

Probably doesn't get sacked if he's picked up the same amount of points with more regularity rather than having a really good spell and then a disastrous spell. Very hard to look beyond that current spell though.

I am not saying this isn’t true cos I didn’t check.

But lots of people keep including cup games against lower league teams in the record, so is this league only?

I took PPs calcs for Barnes reign. Don't know if they were cup games to be honest. Didn't check. We probably lost half those cup games to lower league teams anyway.

Previous years are just league.

Let’s move on now. I think ex Maidstone manger will be our next manager can’t wait for Saturday now new start let’s get results to stay up. I be in the spoons before game. Would like to discuss items with u about 1 o’clock until 2 ish 👍🍺🍺

Back
Top Bottom