Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paul Barnes gone

A poor manager or the victim of player power?
If the club still seem to want Barnes to work with the academy, it would appear to be player power in the main. Get someone in who can whip the current lot along enough to avoid the drop.

Given the injuries and number of late goals we concede, it appears he's the victim of a lack of basic fitness preparation in preseason. You could argue also the number of red cards are due to poor decision making when tired, again a result of lack of fitness.

A poor manager or the victim of player power?
Not mutually exclusive. I feel rather sad about this. I like Barnes a lot and thought the team got some focus and energy back under him. But it has gone horrbly wrong since Christmas. Truly awful. And he has to take the bulk of the blame for that.

Not mutually exclusive. I feel rather sad about this. I like Barnes a lot and thought the team got some focus and energy back under him. But it has gone horrbly wrong since Christmas. Truly awful. And he has to take the bulk of the blame for that.
It's been a real curate's egg of a managerial reign.

First 15 matches: W8 D2 L5
Last 10 matches: W0 D1 L9

The early results can't all be beginner's luck, considering he inherited a mess and we were in the bottom three with 5 points from 8 games. In fact if you discount the one win and two defeats from three league matches as caretaker, he actually got better once he was confirmed in the role. I can't put my finger on how it went so spectacularly wrong.

The red cards and suspensions haven't helped, but we had those during the good spell. I don't recall that many games when we ran out of steam and lost points at the end. (Eastbourne and obviously Bath.) In most of the other defeats the damage was done in the first half. (Farnborough, Slough, Ebbsfleet, Braintree.) We won several games with ten men, and finished strongly at home to Hampton and away to Welling.

Once again I have to revisit the poor timing of the decision to sack Gavin Rose and trust an unproven newcomer to the club to work with Rose's squad. Paul Barnes did everything asked of him as interim manager, for which we should be grateful, but I'm sure it was originally stated that he would not be considered for the role and was here with a view to remaining as an academy director from next season. At the time, at that stage of the season, I felt we had to either promote from within (which wasn't an option with no one remaining from the previous regime) or bring in someone who knows the league and has a proven track record. That applies even more so for the next appointment.

Always liked Gary McCann and the Slough duo, patricularly in terms of how they carry themselves. Dont know a lot about HH.

Off the top of my head: Hakan Hayrettin (Maidstone), Jon Underwood & Neil Baker (Slough) and Gary McCann (Hampton) are among those who have departed other clubs since our last appointment, plus anyone we shortlisted last time who hasn't already found another job.
You can probably rule out Jon Underwood and Neil Baker. They joined Beaconsfield a few days ago so are probably under contract.

As an outsider this looks like a classic #ManagerOut treadmill - all becasue the team doesnt win regularly. Not winning regularly is the majority experience for most teams, it couldnt be more normal, especially after a series of promotions. If you want to be winning all the time go back down a level.

As an outsider this looks like a classic #ManagerOut treadmill - all becasue the team doesnt win regularly. Not winning regularly is the majority experience for most teams, it couldnt be more normal, especially after a series of promotions. If you want to be winning all the time go back down a level.
I'd never have guessed you were an outsider.

The old skool rabble would’ve had a field day with this clown. Good riddance! If he gets another gig I’d love a coach away day in full Pob masks.

Hayrettin is out of work, and a good organiser. Has to be him.

Only other person I'd go for is Craig, again for his organisational skills, but I don't know why he'd leave Cheshunt for this shitshow.

Always liked Gary McCann and the Slough duo, patricularly in terms of how they carry themselves. Dont know a lot about HH.

Totally agree on Gary McCann. Even on a short-term basis until the end of the season I think that would be a good move. One thing that's always stuck in my mind was being close to the dug-out at a game when he was in charge of Hendon, and being impressed at how positive and encouraging he was in the way he handled his players.

Real shame it hasn't worked out with Barnes as he seemed like a really good guy and I'm sure he's a good coach, but with results the way they have been and a slide into the relegation zone looking inevitable, I don't think the club has had any choice but to act while there's still time.

How many of his matches did you see? Would you travel on this coach, or are you nominating those of us who still go to the games to do it? Come on Burty, surely you're better than this.

Agreed. That's quite vindictive towards a bloke that has done his best, but who's Plan A has just been found out by the majority of the management teams at this level. He's given a couple of frustrated interviews when under pressure and working with some players that are clearly causing problems, to the point of apparently not turning up to games.

If you're going after people, fine, but at least go after some of the nastier bastards we've had at the club. Can't understand why anyone would deliverately try to niggle or humiliate Barnes.

So much for cuddly, inclusive Dulwich Hamlet.

Strong pass on McCann. Thought his Hendon sides were fairly industrial and he did a pretty poor job at Hampton.

There's better managers, like Hayrettin, who will organise and get us working as a unit again.

An amazing overreaction.
I recall the days of Ryan and Browne and everything was fair game.
I’m sorry, but hysterical angry partner on Twitter, is the pièce de résistance of this bad appointment.
1 point from 30 equals bad appointment and maybe a better manager might just steer the pink & blues away from relegation.
And ‘cuddly and inclusive’ has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Feel bad for Paul, seemed a nice chap a given we are slightly better off than when he arrived it does seem strange that he’s gone, especially as we have endured quite a few seasons of underachievement without a change made. In terms of candidates, I wouldn’t feel comfortable with McCann not the brand of football we want and again has underachieved at this level hence why he was dismissed. As for Hayrettin he doesn’t seem like the right character for this club and has a very chequered history it seems his performance last season was down to a very healthy budget and the potentially having full time staff, players and resources in a part time league, indeed his record at Maidstone before last season was poor. For me could we lure Bradley Quinton? Or one I’ve seen mentioned, I don’t know if he would be interested would be Mark Molesley, has a profile as a player, good winning record as a manager, league experience Southend and National League at Aldershot. Seems like he would be a very astute choice if we could lure him here.

Mark Molesley had a healthy budget and almost unlimited access to AFC Bournemouth's younger players on loan when at Weymouth.

By the time he rocked up at Aldershot the loan tap had been switched off, it showed. He left Shots with them playing dire football and with a hopelessly unbalanced squad. They are currently in real danger of getting sucked into the relegation scrap, much of the blame lies with the pre-season signings I'm afraid. It's a shame, he was a very popular player at Shots.

I think Mark would be a real gamble and am not sure the club can afford that right now. He's also currently at Gosport so may be under contract.

Hope to be proved emphatically wrong, but I’m struggling to see why anyone with any standing would want to take it on for the rest of the season.

Minimal chance of improving your reputation, unlikely to pay anything near worthwhile to offset that, and no guarantees that you’ll be part of the complete reset of the clubs playing infrastructure into next season.

I suspect the deal will include next season. Otherwise the club will be well behind in player recruitment for 23/24 and, as you say, it's not a particularly appealing gig. You too could be the next manager thrown under a bus by players who don't turn up for matches...

No inside knowledge but it's what I'd be looking to do.

Back
Top Bottom