Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paramount Plus recommendations

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
It feels to me that since its arrival Paramount has quickly established itself as one of the main streaming service players and is here to stay, so it deserves its own thread.

I’ll start off with the brand new Korean miniseries Bargain. First episode is bonkers in the best possible way, and absolutely enjoyable. Solid early season recommendation from me.

Poker Face. Natasha Lyonne has a semi-magical ability to tell if someone's lying (her catchphrase is "bullshit," because she's Natasha Lyonne), and for various reasons is on the run around the US. It's an homage to Columbo even in the title's font, so you know who committed the crime from the start, and and the question is ho and if they will get caught out. Simply fantastic - one of my favourite shows of the year.

Just realised it's on Peacock, not Paramount, doh! I'm going to recommend it anyway, since there's no point making a thread for that channel too.

Poker Face. Natasha Lyonne has a semi-magical ability to tell if someone's lying (her catchphrase is "bullshit," because she's Natasha Lyonne), and for various reasons is on the run around the US. It's an homage to Columbo even in the title's font, so you know who committed the crime from the start, and and the question is ho and if they will get caught out. Simply fantastic - one of my favourite shows of the year.

It’s good but also on Peacock

Apart from all the Star Trek goodies that have been mentioned in the ST threads aplenty, there are other shows that are highly watchable and/ or critically acclaimed that almost unknown to the wider public. We’re currently enjoying Joe Pickett, a crime drama series about a U.S. park ranger with 100% approval ratings across the board.

Also, Rabbit Hole is a kind of Jason Bourne meets Mission Impossible series. Preposterous but highly addictive thriller.

But seriously, everyone should check Bargain. Mad as fuck :D

It feels to me that since its arrival Paramount has quickly established itself as one of the main streaming service players and is here to stay, so it deserves its own thread.

I’ll start off with the brand new Korean miniseries Bargain. First episode is bonkers in the best possible way, and absolutely enjoyable. Solid early season recommendation from me.

I’ve downloaded Bargain and it sounds very promising. But that article is written by Lucy Mangan, who has awful taste, so I’m a little scared of actually watching.

I’ve downloaded Bargain and it sounds very promising. But that article is written by Lucy Mangan, who has awful taste, so I’m a little scared of actually watching.
I would certainly disagree with her claim that it’s better than Squid Game- they’re different beasts anyway. But I’m already on episode 5 and loving it. Well written, greatly paced, a wealth of characters, and a story that’s silly as fuck, but it just works fine.

Very nice camera work as well. Basically every episode appears to be filmed continuously in one shot from a single camera. I suspect there are cleverly disguised breaks, but I can’t spot them and even if they are, there are segments of 10 minutes plus when it clearly it is really filmed as one shot.

Just realised it's on Peacock, not Paramount, doh! I'm going to recommend it anyway, since there's no point making a thread for that channel too.

It’s on Now/Sky as well. Didn’t know you could get Peacock in the UK

It should be on Now, I believe. I don’t think the branding matters, but who knows?*

*shitloads of people, I imagine

It should be on Now, I believe. I don’t think the branding matters, but who knows?*

*shitloads of people, I imagine
It doesn’t matter, but it’s confusing for this viewer! It’s on Now if you’re watching in one way, but on Peacock if you’re watching in another!

Apart from all the Star Trek goodies that have been mentioned in the ST threads aplenty, there are other shows that are highly watchable and/ or critically acclaimed that almost unknown to the wider public. We’re currently enjoying Joe Pickett, a crime drama series about a U.S. park ranger with 100% approval ratings across the board.

Also, Rabbit Hole is a kind of Jason Bourne meets Mission Impossible series. Preposterous but highly addictive thriller.

But seriously, everyone should check Bargain. Mad as fuck :D
Loved the Joe Pickett - have read the books so that helped me understand the background - seems better than the other series set in that universe - Big Sky, which I started but gave up on half way through season 1 .

Halo is great. I had previously dismissed it as based on a computer game that I had tried playing but got bored of quickly, but that's irrelevant - it's an engaging sci-fi drama.

Halfway through new spooky miniseries The Burning Girls, and it’s very watchable and fast paced so far. Based on a recent novel and set in a present-day sleepy English village, it involves a woman vicar escaping from a past tragedy who moves into a new parish where witchcraft trials had taken place back in the day, and where recent unexplained tragedy has also occurred. Before long bad things start to happen.

I don’t know how it’s going to pan out, but a firm midpoint recommendation from me as an enjoyable pre-Halloween fodder.

Reactions: Ax^
How do i watch this on PS4? I can't find an app. Tempted to give it a month, but only if I can use my ps to watch it.

How do i watch this on PS4? I can't find an app. Tempted to give it a month, but only if I can use my ps to watch it.
You would need to pay for a subscription to start with of course, unless you go down the the naughty internets route. But even if tho legal, it depends on your device. From my numerous frustrating experiences trying to watch streaming content on my ageing first gen smart TV that doesn’t admit many apps, you might have to resort to connecting a laptop or tablet to your TV via an HMDI cable to watch it.

In our case, Paramount+ is an added-on app attached to the Amazon Prime Video app that comes with our Virgin Media TV, so as long as you’re paid up you can watch it directly.

You would need to pay for a subscription to start with of course, unless you go down the the naughty internets route. But even if tho legal, it depends on your device. From my numerous frustrating experiences trying to watch streaming content on my ageing first gen smart TV that doesn’t admit many apps, you might have to resort to connecting a laptop or tablet to your TV via an HMDI cable to watch it.

In our case, Paramount+ is an added-on app attached to the Amazon Prime Video app that comes with our Virgin Media TV, so as long as you’re paid up you can watch it directly.
I think you can add it on AppleTV+
(I accidentally paid for MUBI twice on both Prime and Apple for a while, so be careful!)

Back
Top Bottom