Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

One-and-done film actors

Also, does anyone else keep expecting this thread to be one of those pun ones? You know, Jack Onceoff, Kathryn Singlerole etc.

The judge in "An Anatomy of a Murder." was played by Joseph N Welch who became famous as the lawyer who destroyed Eugene Mcarthy's credibility during televised committee meetings. Duke Ellington, who wrote the score, gets help from James Stewart's whilst tickling the the ivories in a local night club. I don't think either appeared as characters in any other film.

This musing is not fully in line with the thread’s premise but is still related, so better to stick it here than create a new one.

I’m a big fan of found footage horror films and have always found it intriguing how bloody good and convincing most performances are in most of the films, in particular when you consider that a great many of the actors in such films are virtually unknown if not actually amateurs/ first timers.

Yet in even those films of the genre that were critically acclaimed and became cult classics, few of the actors ever seem to make it to the mainstream. The main lead in the granddaddy of all films of the genre The Blair Witch Project has been in relatively few films since, and most of them straight to video shite or limited release mediocrities at best. Similar story with the main lead of another giant of the genre, Paranormal Activity. Yet both of them managed to convey more raw terror and feeling in their performances than plenty of A-list Hollywood performers in big budget horror films.

This musing is not fully in line with the thread’s premise but is still related, so better to stick it here than create a new one.

I’m a big fan of found footage horror films and have always found it intriguing how bloody good and convincing most performances are in most of the films, in particular when you consider that a great many of the actors in such films are virtually unknown if not actually amateurs/ first timers.

Yet in even those films of the genre that were critically acclaimed and became cult classics, few of the actors ever seem to make it to the mainstream. The main lead in the granddaddy of all films of the genre The Blair Witch Project has been in relatively few films since, and most of them straight to video shite or limited release mediocrities at best. Similar story with the main lead of another giant of the genre, Paranormal Activity. Yet both of them managed to convey more raw terror and feeling in their performances than plenty of A-list Hollywood performers in big budget horror films.
I would disagree. The actors in those films were truly terrible. The film's rely on you the audience, believing the footage is real. The fact the footage is so crap and the action so badly paced and amateur probably aids this belief that it's real and obviously not a polished Hollywood product. I don't agree (in the film's you mentioned) that they manage to convey 'raw terror convincingly', (but then I haven't seen real raw terror so maybe I wouldn't know), it just looks like duff acting to me. Even if they did though, it would be one note, and they are all clearly shite actors throughout the rest of the film. I am totally unsurprised they have not been cast for anything else.

I cant believe I have failed, up til now, to mention the great John Sweet.

Sweet was a US Army Sergeant who Michael Powell drafted in as one of the three pilgrims in his magnificent A Canterbury Tale. He played Bob Johnson, visiting Canterbury because he promised his mom, only to discover the wonders of the English countryside (and to track down the Glue Man).

He was paid $2,000 for his work all of which he donated to the NAACP.

Maria Falconetti aka Renee Jeanne Falconetti.

Her only full length screen appearance. And still - nearly a century on - one of the greatest film performances in the history of all cinema.

Her only full length screen appearance. And still - nearly a century on - one of the greatest film performances in the history of all cinema.

I once went on date with someone who told me I looked like her in that film. I'd like to think I look slightly less tortured but who knows... :hmm:

I didn't dare to add her as she'd been in another film a decade before.

I didn't dare to add her as she'd been in another film a decade before.

Yes, that's correct; apparently it was some long forgotten film in 1917. In fact, she may've even been in another movie around that time also - however details are sketchy to say the least .But to all intents and purposes (at least for me) - given the extraordinary one-off solo performance she gave in this masterpiece, and that she never starred in another film again - I think that she deserves to be included here. Sadly, I've read she she suffered with mental health problems and died as a result on going on a crash diet after becoming heavily overweight. She was just 54.

Back
Top Bottom