Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

One-and-done film actors

DaveCinzano

WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!
Was watching Jerry Maguire last night. The guy playing Jerry's old-timey mentor, Jared Jussim - dispensing hokey life advice in the third wall-defying inserts - was very warm and watchable. I had a peek at the wiki and learned that he wasn't an actor but an ageing lawyer at the studio who happened to crash a meeting and ended up being given an audition. It's his one and only screen acting gig.

Any others come to mind?

The criteria here are:

• They have to have been quite good in their role
  • Only one IMDb acting credit (and definitely nothing else in pre-production etc)
  • Nothing from 2021 (to weed out anyone who may intend to pursue acting, but who is just not very well known at the moment)

it’s got to be Anne Sellors:
she does it very well

Uncut Gems has a lot of Diamond District characters playing themselves more or less. But I suppose these are almost cameos which are not what's really being looked for and of which there are plenty of one-offs.

Though a lot of actors from Dazed and Confused went on to be stars - Matthew McConaughey, Ben Affleck, and Milla Jovovich for three - quite a few weren't in much after. Wiley Wiggins was in a shit film with Winona Ryder called Boys and not much else, and is now involved in games design. Christine Hinijosa was never in another film and gave up acting to be an anti-war activist. And Catherine Avril Morris (the older girl Wiley Wiggins kisses) was in the film by accident having worked on casting for the film, it was her only acting role, and she's now a writer.

Last edited:
I thought the shouty gunnery sergeant in Full Metal Jacket hadn't been in anything else, bearing in mind he was a serving gunnery sergeant in the Marine Corps.

Turns out he was in a few other films too

Starlet by Sean Baker (Tangerine, The Florida Project, Red Rocket) is one of my favourite films of the last decade. It stars Besedka Johnson, a then 87 year old retired business woman with no previous acting experience, who gives a wonderful performance. She died a couple of years after the film came out.

609CB1DF-2747-481D-9093-CDE3522CC4E8.jpeg

Maria Callas took one straight acting role in Pasolini's Medea. The film is well regarded, but it wasn't a financial success and she decided that film acting wasn't for her.

A slight cheat at she had a supporting role in an obscure film from 1917, but Renee Jeanne Falconetti's performance in Carl Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Arc from 1928 is considered one of the greatest film performances of all time and she never made another film.

There are quite a few children who get cast in a film but who decide not to pursue acting as it never really was their career choice. Carrie Henn, whose only role was Newt in Aliens, never acted again and became a school teacher.

View attachment 288009

I didn't know this, so I just looked it up: Anton Glanzelius - My Life As a Dog

He had some bits in 2 tv movies, but no majors ever again. Works as a Channel Manager for a TV station.

I assume he plays the same kid right?
He's no more than a glorified extra in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment. He is credited as "spectator" at a baseball game.

Ewan McGregor plays the adult Danny Torrance as he's the lead character of Doctor Sleep and also by a Danny-Lloyd-lookalike child actor in the prologue and in flashbacks.

Last edited:
48 pigs played that role - not one of them was in the whole movie :(

Probably ended up in several bacon sarnies though!

(Sorry, sorry, I am a very bad person, horrible thing to say, I actually like animals and all, yes I eat some but I want them all to be treated well while they are alive etc etc, but my brain went "there is a shit joke here, go on go on do it do it" and here we are)

Back
Top Bottom