Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

# On The CD Player Today (take 6)

Not a bad effort this, but not as good as his last one, and a bit short too at about 30 mins.

Tricky-Mixed-Race-518921.jpg

Shenai Song - Sheila Chandra
Dumpweed - Blink 182
Face to face on high places - School of Seven Bells
Give it up - Curtis Mayfield
Evil - Howlin' Wolf
ICCT hedral - Aphex Twin (Philip Glass orch.)
Music Called Jazz - Luke Vibert
Clark Sanders - Eliza Carthy
Nine Ways - JDS
Sarahs Song - Sweet Laredo
Goldrush - The Herbaliser
Old Blues alcohol blues - Dock Boggs
Flash Company - Bellowhead
Steinbolt - Squarepusher

:cool::cool::cool:

Gil Scott-Heron - "I'm New Here" (my favourite album of the year so far :cool: )
Carter USM - "Post Historic Monsters"

Worth getting?

Yeah. But I'm a massive fan so would say that.

This kind of thing seems to be the consensus among reviewers:

Majesty Shredding makes a strong case for Superchunk, no matter if it’s to a new generation of would-be fans or as a welcome reintroduction to long-time followers. While the album is a complete piece in and of itself, it also works like a best-of that showcases the band’s go-to moves, full of streamlined punch-packing punk-pop that has no problem keeping up either with Superchunk’s best material or the up-and-comers who’ve stolen a few tricks from Chapel Hill’s finest. If anything, those who had harped that Superchunk had mellowed out when it ascended to elder statesmen status in the late ‘90s won’t find much to gripe with on Majesty Shredding. From the first few tracks on, Superchunk’s pogo-pop pretty much keeps its bounce through the album’s 11 tracks, slowing things up occasionally to save itself to come back even harder. “Crossed Wires” is a perpetual motion pop tune generated by a finely-tuned guitar-bass-drums machine, while “Slow Drip” is anything but what the title connotes, kicking into action with a squeal of feedback and drummer Jon Wurster’s primal banging.

Definitely one of their top three albums; in some ways the best.

Back
Top Bottom