Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

On The CD Player Today (take 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having a real 89 reminisce again lately fictionist... not only the ubiquitous house but also hip-house such as . Big tune for me! :cool:

I'll reciprocate by pointing you in the direction of the (slightly) earlier 'She's Fly' by Tony Terry (and 'Lovey Dovey' from the same album). Not Hip Hop but worth a revisit.

;)

Fakin' The Funk - Main Source

Real Hip Hop.

All about though IMO (with that clever use of the Think Twice sample too!) :cool:

Breaking Atoms was (-still is) a killer album. :cool:

The Low End Theory... Stunts Blunts & Hip Hop... A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing... De La Soul Is Dead... Paul's Boutique... Follow The Leader... Step In The Arena... Fear Of A Black Planet... Pete Rock was coming through... Brand Nubian... The UMCs... LONS... JBs... KMD... Hieroglyphics... Son Of Bazerk... loads more.

C90s of the latest Capital Rap Show for goalposts, etc... :D:cool:

<sigh>

Such a great time for hip hop. :)

This evening, I've been listening to the latest* (...-gasp!... ;)) albums by Voice Of The Seven Thunders and White Hills. :cool:

*They both sound like they could be from about 1974 though... ;)

So far this evening:

Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information
Lamont Dozier - Peddlin' Music On The Side
Kon & Amir and ?uestlove RBMA Radio mixes

i've the 12 of 'stomping into the 90s' which is fairly ruling. might have to track down some more of her stuff - that big beat/shouty girl rapper combo is one of my favourites.

So far:

Supermelodrama by Devotchka
Gypsy Punk Underdog World Strike by Gogol Bordello
Unza Unza Time by Emir Kusturica & the No Smoking Orchestra
A compilation of Balkan music

And then

A cover of Sexual Healing by Hot 8 Brass Band.

:cool:

Yeah, Capital Rap Show... and then when Kiss came along it was Richie Rich and Max & Dave too :cool:

Yeah, that's it. :)

Max & Dave were on Wednesday nights, if I remember correctly?

Also on Kiss, Coldcut's weekly Solid Steel from 1am 'til 4am was unmissable listening for me and my mates back then. (-Followed, if still awake, by Manasseh's dub show...)

I've found this. A perfect example of a typical C90 from '91: Westwood, Richie Rich, Max & Dave, and Hardnoise live. It's even got You Can’t Play With My Yo Yo on it... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom